Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbidden items in my home...

rue

Couldn't agree more. I was raised if you can't afford it, you go without. The only things I was taught to borrow for would be a house and maybe a small loan on a car. I borrowed $1,000 from my parents to pay half on a car I bought when I was 17, otherwise I've never went into debt. I have a good friend at work, 2 years older than me. Has 2 new cars in his driveway and a nice house in a good neighborhood. He will tell you, he's in debt up to his eyeballs.

You just reminded me of this commercial Tom....

[video=youtube;WFMwYNX5qUk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMwYNX5qUk&NR=1[/video]

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yup, there's something about that twang that just grates on my nerves.

Hi

I was married for a couple of years before the wife started listening to country music again. It should have been grounds for divorce. If I listen to a whole album of country that has that stupid pedal steel guitar in it, I'll be at the top of the Ramada Inn down town with a .30-06. It's like nails on a chalk board.

Later

That is so funny! This is EXACTLY what my family and I reference when it comes to this kinda thing.

You just reminded me of this commercial Tom....

The pedal steel guitar is my favorite instrument lol Country ain't country without it!

Hi

I was married for a couple of years before the wife started listening to country music again. It should have been grounds for divorce. If I listen to a whole album of country that has that stupid pedal steel guitar in it, I'll be at the top of the Ramada Inn down town with a .30-06. It's like nails on a chalk board.

Later

[video=youtube;WD09hBDdw7k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD09hBDdw7k[/video]
Anyone who can pick a banjo is welcome at my place anytime. I'm a bluegrass junkie :)

Twang on!

Justin B

One Too Many
My Mother and Step-Father are the founders of the West Texas Bluegrass/Traditional Music Association. Stop by their website, or if you ever happen to be in Lubbock Texas on the last Friday of the month...drop by for the jam and concert.

Yeah, we do a bit of pickin'.

Edward

Bartender
My parents were hippies. I love a lot about the hippie culture. What's not allowed in my house is country music!

I like country, but not "country and western". Country is Johnny Cash. Country and Western is middle aged women in semi-rural Northern Ireland waving Conferderate flags (which mean nothing to them other than "a cowboy thing"), dressed as "Cowboys" (more Village People than Clint Eastwood) and.... line dancing. No civilised person has any business line dancing. Honestly, I've seen these people: They're the equivalent of some guy in the US, who's "Irish" because his grandmother ate a potato once, dressing up like a leprechaun.... And that's "country and western", that is.

You know what's ironic. As a Wisconsin resident who is a proud Confederate flag flyer, we sell such things and our suppliers tell us that they sell more Confederate flag items in the north, especially New England, than in the south. I've always thought that was odd. You'd figure the Confederate items would sell best in the Old South.

We had some folks from Illinois in the gun shop the other day and we were teasing them for being from 'The Land of Lincoln' to which they replied, 'Oh, you Wisconsin folks, you can still smell the cannon smoke here!'

Which reminds me, keep the Yankee stuff out of my house, too. Especially anything in regards to Techumseh Sherman!

I like country, but not "country and western". Country is Johnny Cash. Country and Western is middle aged women in semi-rural Northern Ireland waving Conferderate flags (which mean nothing to them other than "a cowboy thing"), dressed as "Cowboys" (more Village People than Clint Eastwood) and.... line dancing. No civilised person has any business line dancing. Honestly, I've seen these people: They're the equivalent of some guy in the US, who's "Irish" because his grandmother ate a potato once, dressing up like a leprechaun.... And that's "country and western", that is.

I think I've said it before somewhere else but even though I'm not the dyed-in-wool country music fan to the extent that Tom or some of the others are, I greatly enjoy country music because it is the only form of modern (post 1965) contemporary music that I find to be listenable. In my opinion, what sets country music apart from other musical genres today is that it is still melodic much like the vintage music that many of us enjoy. I offer by way of example one of my favorite country tunes, Tammy's Wynette's "He Loves Me All The Way". This song is a particular favorite of mine because the tune has elements and stylings that, to me, are somewhat reminiscent of Tin Pan Alley. It should be noted that many country artists have made tremendous hits covering vintage old standards that many of us would readily recognize. I would therefore argue that country music is really the link between the average non-vintage person (who would otherwise not be exposed to vintage music) and our rich musical heritage.

[video=youtube;IxjP0BcmfLM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxjP0BcmfLM&feature=related[/video]

and this one's for you, Tom

George Jones & Tammy Wynette -- Milwaukee, Here I Come
[video=youtube;0pQObXNIQvo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pQObXNIQvo[/video]

I just posted "Milwaukee, Here I Come" in the 'What are you listening to' thread a little while ago! lol

I love country music, not only because of the sound. I love steel guitar, I love fiddle, bajo, guitar, etc. The lyrics hit me like a ton of bricks. I can relate. The songs are so often about heartbreak, your woman walking out, finding someone new, working in a factory, loving your country, driving old cars/trucks, and most of all, the good old-fashioned American way. Country-Western was America's music, especially in the heartland.

I think I've said it before somewhere else but even though I'm not the dyed-in-wool country music fan to the extent that Tom or some of the others are, I greatly enjoy country music because it is the only form of modern (post 1965) contemporary music that I find to be listenable. In my opinion, what sets country music apart from other musical genres today is that it is still melodic much like the vintage music that many of us enjoy. I offer by way of example one of my favorite country tunes, Tammy's Wynette's "He Loves Me All The Way". This song is a particular favorite of mine because the tune has elements and stylings that, to me, are somewhat reminiscent of Tin Pan Alley. It should be noted that many country artists have made tremendous hits covering vintage old standards that many of us would readily recognize. I would therefore argue that country music is really the link between the average non-vintage person (who would otherwise not be exposed to vintage music) and our rich musical heritage.

and this one's for you, Tom

George Jones & Tammy Wynette -- Milwaukee, Here I Come

RichardH

One of the Regulars
Country is okay I guess (Country to me is like Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks & Brad Paisley) , but blues & rock 'n' roll is where it's at for me :)
But if you can play guitar, you'll always be welcome in my home! (I play guitar myself.)

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Black Dahlia, I have 2 dogs for that reason. It's a team effort...the Bedlington points them out by standing over them with her tassles dangling, while the heeler paws at them. It's MY job to pick up the offender because neither girl wants to.
I'll say it but I haven't been successful this year with it...snakes.
I work with a guy that has them as pets, uh no thank you.

Wambleyburger

Familiar Face
While I'm not really a "Country" or "Country/Western" fan, I do enjoy me some good bluegrass music. I played guitar and sang in a bluegrass band for about six years and thoroughly enjoyed it. Good harmonies, good friendships and good times. ;)

Edward

Bartender
You know what's ironic. As a Wisconsin resident who is a proud Confederate flag flyer, we sell such things and our suppliers tell us that they sell more Confederate flag items in the north, especially New England, than in the south. I've always thought that was odd. You'd figure the Confederate items would sell best in the Old South.

It'd be interesting to know whether they are being bought by Yankees who fancy a bit of "Confederate chic", or by Southerners who live in the North and suddenly find that up they're they feel more Southern than ever they did 'at home'. I've known fellow Irish who suddenly feel the need to fly a flag when they go abroad when they could barely describe the same flag while they lived at home. Personally, I think there's something to be said for the notion that people who enjoy waving flags rather too much probably shouldn't be allowed to own one, but that's a whole nother can o' worms. ;)

Always sorta surprised me you don't see more of the CSA flags these days. I can certainly see why it was replaced by the battle flag for those in the line of combat, but the subtle difference between the two nowadays I can see having something of an appeal. I find the Confederate imagery fascinating, myself, not least because of the conflicting views as to what it represents these days (some of which is revisionism, of course, though the reality is - irony of ironies - much more grey than either camp would have one believe, IMO). ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun