Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbidden items in my home...

I am always curious of this myself. My Mom's family is from Kentucky, and Dad's from Arkansas, so that's where our roots to the south lie. My brother and sister are twins, named Robert Lee and Dixie. There are flags, uniforms, swords, etc that saw battle hanging in my parents' house. My whole life, they've always had a strong connection to those roots.

It'd be interesting to know whether they are being bought by Yankees who fancy a bit of "Confederate chic", or by Southerners who live in the North and suddenly find that up they're they feel more Southern than ever they did 'at home'. I've known fellow Irish who suddenly feel the need to fly a flag when they go abroad when they could barely describe the same flag while they lived at home. Personally, I think there's something to be said for the notion that people who enjoy waving flags rather too much probably shouldn't be allowed to own one, but that's a whole nother can o' worms. ;)

Always sorta surprised me you don't see more of the CSA flags these days. I can certainly see why it was replaced by the battle flag for those in the line of combat, but the subtle difference between the two nowadays I can see having something of an appeal. I find the Confederate imagery fascinating, myself, not least because of the conflicting views as to what it represents these days (some of which is revisionism, of course, though the reality is - irony of ironies - much more grey than either camp would have one believe, IMO). ;)

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Country is okay I guess (Country to me is like Alan Jackson, Garth Brooks & Brad Paisley) , but blues & rock 'n' roll is where it's at for me :)
But if you can play guitar, you'll always be welcome in my home! (I play guitar myself.)

I'm convinced that it had slot to do with what you were exposed to as a child. My parents were big into rock and roll, so I grew up hearing Led Zepplin, Moody Blues, The Stones all the time.

Makes sense. My best friend likes a lot of AC/DC, Styx, etc, because that's what his dad listens to.

I grew up with Conway, George, Tammy, Loretta, Roy, and Buck to name a few. Not to mention Polkas every day on the Barn Show, to this day.

I'm convinced that it had slot to do with what you were exposed to as a child. My parents were big into rock and roll, so I grew up hearing Led Zepplin, Moody Blues, The Stones all the time.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Musicals. I know, sounds funny but I don't like musicals whether they be on tv or bought on Amazon.

As an aside...I'll solve the mystery Tom has about the flags up North in 2 words.
We've infiltrated. :D
Next thing you know people in Wisconsin will be chewing tobacco, watching Hee Haw, and enjoying country and western music. Our mission is moving forward. Collectively we are HICKS (similar to borg but not as unionized).

As an aside...I'll solve the mystery Tom has about the flags up North in 2 words.
Next thing you know people in Wisconsin will be chewing tobacco, watching Hee Haw, and enjoying country and western music. Our mission is moving forward. Collectively we are HICKS (similar to borg but not as unionized).

^^^I do all these things on a regular basis lol^^^ Well, technically, I've quit chewing.

Musicals. I know, sounds funny but I don't like musicals whether they be on tv or bought on Amazon.

I can't stand most 50s onward musicals either. I have never had a situation in my life where I wanted to drop everything and sing or answer a question by singing a long, long answer. :p

Nobert

Practically Family
Personally, I'd have to go along with the aversion to musicals from the Lerner and Lowe years onward. Despite the fact that I listened to the records of Mand of La Mancha and Camelot obsessively when I was a kid.

At the office building I clean, one of the big guns has a wall full of framed posters of Andrew LLoyd-Weber shows. I can't bring myself to dust them.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I have to endure those movies at the inlaws, but not here!
Great response James.
I have a history of choir, concert choir actually, but even with that I've never found a need to sing an answer or question either.
Talent shows aren't allowed in my house. Well they are, but my wife watches them on her computer. Her favorite is America Has Talent. As I've explained to her, I don't mind you watching them on tv, but I only have so much time here, I'd rather not burn it up on a program like that.....:p
Reality shows fall into this category although we are suckers for Celebrity Rehab. Some of the past participants are on our favorite weekly show The Smoking Gun Presents The World's Dumbest...we can't quit watching it!

Really? Me too! Just today, I met a girl named Maria.

I am seriously thinking about a trip to...

OKLAHOMA... where the wind comes sweepin down the plains,
Where the wavin' wheat,
Can sure smell sweet,
When the wind comes right behind the rain,

Oklahoma, every night my honeylamb and I,
Sit alone and talk,
And watch a hawk,
Makin' lazy circles in the sky,

We know we belong to the land
and the land we belong to is grand

And when we say, hey! a yippy-i-o-ey
We're only sayin' You're doin' fine Oklahoma,