Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Forbidden items in my home...

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I find all of Simon Cowell's shows very educational; whenever one comes on the television, I switch it off and reAd a book.
:D Love it! I can't stand "reality" TV. I've never seen an episode of either American Idol or Survivor. The only "reality" shows I watch are travel shows. The other thing not allowed in my house is soda/pop of any kind. It's so horrible for you. I gave it up about 2 years ago, my husband followed a year later. My dentist says he notices a difference in my teeth and my doctor says it's the best thing a woman can do for her bone density.

Those shows all stress me out too. Drama drama drama. I'm at my parents' house right now and we're watching 'Ice Road Truckers' also, stressing me out lol

On that note..... Survivor, Amazing Race, Big Brother or any of those shows are not allowed in my house. I just don't get any of them, especially Survivor. You know that camera man has food :rolleyes:

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I'm convinced that it had slot to do with what you were exposed to as a child. My parents were big into rock and roll, so I grew up hearing Led Zepplin, Moody Blues, The Stones all the time.

Makes total sense. My dad listened to a lot of jazz & classical on his record player when I was a child, and my math & science teacher used to play Pink Floyd, Stones & AC/DC to us in primary school. So I´ve basically had that R 'n' R influence right from the get-go.

Oldsarge

One Too Many
Not me. My father was a music teacher, an Italian music teacher. We listened to the Classics except when Mitch Miller or Hootenany came on. Then we'd listen to folk. R 'n' R was for other people until I got into the Army. Then I did develop a taste for Simon and Garfunkle . . .

And I liked the Beach Boys in Jr. High!

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
We watch IRT and Deadliest Catch, the only "reality" shows that entertain us.
Flowery scents.
We're drawn to yankee candles only for the sheer fact they come in handy when the power goes out.
But we tend to get Ocean something or Clean Cotton (love that one). I have roses in the backyard and bring them in when I prune the bushes, but other than that my wife has never been that type.

Mr. Hallack

One of the Regulars
I can't stand most 50s onward musicals either. I have never had a situation in my life where I wanted to drop everything and sing or answer a question by singing a long, long answer. :p

Musicals, can't stand them, no matter whether they are a classic or not. My parents subjected me to Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, Wizard of OZ. Last one I saw was Rocky Horror Picture Show. Even as a kid I would just yell at the characters "Shut up and get going!!"

I don't even understand the obsession with Rocky Horror either.

Musicals, can't stand them, no matter whether they are a classic or not. My parents subjected me to Sound of Music, Fiddler on the Roof, Wizard of OZ. Last one I saw was Rocky Horror Picture Show. Even as a kid I would just yell at the characters "Shut up and get going!!"

I don't even understand the obsession with Rocky Horror either.

I am with you on all those titles you mentioned. They are forbidden. :p

i am seriously thinking about a trip to...

Oklahoma... Where the wind comes sweepin down the plains,
where the wavin' wheat,
can sure smell sweet,
when the wind comes right behind the rain,

oklahoma, every night my honeylamb and i,
sit alone and talk,
and watch a hawk,
makin' lazy circles in the sky,

we know we belong to the land
and the land we belong to is grand

and when we say, hey! A yippy-i-o-ey
we're only sayin' you're doin' fine oklahoma,
oklahoma, o-k-l-a-h-o-m-a,
oklahoma.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

No, but since when is a book the same as a movie? I think you're really afraid of the flying monkeys :p
:eeek: You're a sick man James.......

Almost never, however, adding a bunch of silly nonsense and dancing around ruins the continuity of the story. It is like the characters say---'hold on a minute until we finish this.' PU!:p
Honest men will tell you they hate that nancying around the pole nonsense.
And I could care less about flying monkeys unless they had to relieve themselves while flying. :eeek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun