Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Finds and Deals - Leather Jacket Edition

Leather Walker

Practically Family
This Guide Master jacket FB Marketplace $475
334247551_5948043121956587_6029293810929943249_n.jpg

jeo

One Too Many
@handymike Yup. The vast majority of eBay listings from Japan are listed for much less on YAJ/Mercari/etc

Would go for this one but despite being listed as a 36, I think it’s a 38.

Claybertrand

One Too Many
Unless @tmitchell59 chimes in to say California Sportswear… ;)
CSC is always what I think when I see these MW green CALIFORNIA labels.

But this could be something that is just coincidental with that label. The Label would still certainly be accurate if either CSC or RP were the maker. I wonder if RP made this CZ model and perhaps CSC made other models and MW put the same label on them?? It seems like with Hercules jackets, they have a certain label that they used on the CSC made jackets. The "palm tree label" seems to indicate those are CSC made jackets. But we don't know that MW did the same thing to tip us off as to any particular maker. As you said, @tmitchell59 would be able to shed some light on this. He's been hot on the trail of the CSC made jackets for these different retailers for awhile.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I didn't know these were made by Ralphs Pugh!

View attachment 508357
The jacket pictured is a California Sportswear jacket without a doubt. I have the same jacket in various combinations with CSC labels or no labels and with Montgomery Ward labels, all made by CSC.

I have no idea why they would say this is a RP jacket on ebay. This jacket has been on there for some time.

Ralphs-Pugh did not make these jackets with the Wards label, California Sportswear did

I would like to see any Wards labeled jacket that is suspected of being made by RP. I've long thought about the similaraties between labels. But I have not seen a jacket that bears that out. I've looked.

I do have one jacket made by RP with a Fashion Clothing label, both were located in SF. A very local transition
1681684753645.jpeg

I've got an open mind that does have a lot of reason why RP was not the maker.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
There was a lawsuit in the late 40s over the use of the phrases; made in California, Californian. CSC was involved as were certain makers on the East Coast, no mention of leather jackets. The West coast prevailed.

This is a California Sportswear garment bearing this label. The prominent use of California is one tip, the Horsehide label is the clincher. I have the same Horsehide label on an unlabeled CSC jacket and seen in combination with other catalog labels.

Side note: Taubers used the whip in their earlist label during this same time.

1681684132785.png

1681684829122.jpeg

Claybertrand

One Too Many
There was a lawsuit in the late 40s over the use of the phrases; made in California, Californian. CSC was involved as were certain makers on the East Coast, no mention of leather jackets. The West coast prevailed.

This is a California Sportswear garment bearing this label. The prominent use of California is one tip, the Horsehide label is the clincher. I have the same Horsehide label on an unlabeled CSC jacket and seen in combination with other catalog labels.

Side note: Taubers used the whip in their earlist label during this same time.

View attachment 508448
View attachment 508453
These odd connections...................... Are they connections at all??? The whips, the Mission buildings/scenes............ are they imitating each other or are these offshoot makers??? Or was it that ALL SF and California were known for at this time are Horse whips and the Missions??? Its intriguing.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe