Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Families of the Lounge

National Air and Space Museum

69ee9c41077e1a777f62611ea320a10d.jpg

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
I've been trying to encourage Lily to draw as much as possible for her to get comfortable handling a crayon/pen/pencil so we can start working on her writing before she starts school in the Fall. She's still using both hands to write, but tends to do more leftie. She is becoming quite prolific at drawing "portraits". This is a self portrait with the artist.

11046904_10152861010049234_3247707212694198929_n_zpsd3nqnavw.jpg

And of Hubby (who really isn't angry, she could only find red, green, and purple crayons, nor is he wearing a tutu - that's his beard).

11052441_10152861006709234_3689302287262813452_n_zpsncdhuvjw.jpg

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been trying to encourage Lily to draw as much as possible for her to get comfortable handling a crayon/pen/pencil so we can start working on her writing before she starts school in the Fall. She's still using both hands to write, but tends to do more leftie. She is becoming quite prolific at drawing "portraits". This is a self portrait with the artist.

And of Hubby (who really isn't angry, she could only find red, green, and purple crayons, nor is he wearing a tutu - that's his beard).

Put a date on them and save them. I'll bet 50 years from now she'll like to look back and remember those times.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Great idea, Big Man! They're all in a notebook that "Santa" (me) gave her for Christmas. The cover of it is a recycled game board from a Chutes n Ladders game, and the paper is nice quality drawing paper. Picked it up at a Christmas Bazaar. She's about 3/4 through the book, so when she's done I'll date the book and put it away with her "baby box" of things I'm keeping for her. :)

Big Man

Great idea, Big Man! They're all in a notebook that "Santa" (me) gave her for Christmas. The cover of it is a recycled game board from a Chutes n Ladders game, and the paper is nice quality drawing paper. Picked it up at a Christmas Bazaar. She's about 3/4 through the book, so when she's done I'll date the book and put it away with her "baby box" of things I'm keeping for her. :)

My dear Mother saved EVERYTHING. I have two "baby books" that she kept things in. One is a record book that tells of every "first" that I had (first word, first step, first time spent away from home, etc.). The other book is a scrap book with old birthday cards, drawings, school work, etc. From time to time I'll drag those old books out and look over the things she so lovingly saved.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
We do that, but it is a wooden box. Certificate from first ballet class, birthday cards from her Great Grandma Lillian Lorene (namesake), hair from first haircut.... anything I think she might find interesting to have later in life.

Big Man

It was such a beautiful day today, after church we spent most of our time outside soaking up the fresh air and sunshine.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We do that, but it is a wooden box. Certificate from first ballet class, birthday cards from her Great Grandma Lillian Lorene (namesake), hair from first haircut.... anything I think she might find interesting to have later in life.

I've done this for my daughter- I also set aside at least one "outfit" of her's in each size that we particularly liked on her in a separate box, a few of her favorite toys (two so far, that she's outgrown), her drawings and pictures.

My parents saved almost everything from my childhood, but they did not take care of it. For instance, they kept all the clothes of mine out in the open in storage, so they have gotten badly stained and chewed on by what I (hope) were mice, but may have been rats or squirrels given the evidence I found in the clothes. I've been able to patch some of them for my daughter, but some were beyond doing anything to help- they couldn't even be scrapped for a quilt; they were so badly damaged they didn't hold up for washing. It made me very sad, because they could have been passed onto some other little girl if my mother didn't want to go through the work of taking care of them.

I am very careful to make sure that all of my daughter's things are kept in waterproof boxes with mothballs, packed away clean, and carefully labeled. I might not keep everything for her that was kept for me, but I make sure to keep it in very good condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82