Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Families of the Lounge

You're probably being way too hard on BigMan, BigMan. Just being aware as you are is the ticket!

I'm only a 13eee, but you know the expression. Big feet, big shoes.

I was raised by my Grandma and Father (I was very close to both) after my Grandpa Brown died in 1955.
It seems they may have had very similar 'family' tradition/values to BigMan's family in NC (old fashion ?) Stories of past family personalities and history where passed down to me throughout my childhood,so much so.that I could repeat those same stories almost word for word to my kids and Grandkids. Something I treasure to this day.
HD

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was raised by my Grandma and Father (I was very close to both) after my Grandpa Brown died in 1955.
It seems they may have had very similar 'family' tradition/values to BigMan's family in NC (old fashion ?) Stories of past family personalities and history where passed down to me throughout my childhood,so much so.that I could repeat those same stories almost word for word to my kids and Grandkids. Something I treasure to this day.
HD

Your Wilkes County Brown's and my Rutherford/Polk County Brown's are bound to be connected some way.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Please video record your family stories for future generations. I never thought in a million years Curt wouldn't be around when Lily was older, so I am grateful I have video of him talking to her. I also cherish the old video of my great uncle Walt describing family photos. He died 15+ years ago, but we still have his voice.

I think that family traditions and all those stories are more valuable than anything. If a person doesn't know where they came from, they'll never truly know who they are.

HD

It's always that way, isn't it??

Even though I wear a size 14 EEE, the "shoes I have to fill" are way too big for me.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
... If a person doesn't know where they came from, they'll never truly know who they are.

That is the truth. I've met people who didn't know their own grandparent's names. I couldn't imagine not knowing about my family and "where we came from."

Please video record your family stories for future generations. I never thought in a million years Curt wouldn't be around when Lily was older, so I am grateful I have video of him talking to her. I also cherish the old video of my great uncle Walt describing family photos. He died 15+ years ago, but we still have his voice.

Back in the early 1970's I secretly recorded (audio only) my grandmother. WHAT a collection of stories! It was so good, and well received, that I went on later to make similar recordings of my great Uncle at 98 years of age, my father, and many other "elders" that I could. Now family TREASUREs!!

IMPORTANT NOTE TO EVERYBODY...
My wife and I realized a few years ago that we wouldn't have the luxury of letters (REAL, hard copy PAPER letters) to and from our descendants as we have to and from our fore-bearers. When a box of memoirs from my Mother-in-law arrived some years back, we had a fantastic journey back in time. The box contained, among lots of things, many letters exchanged by many now gone people. It was this box of memories that made us realize that now (although) we have better communication technology than ever before, we will not have letters written by the hands of loved ones.

Both my wife and I went on a campaign to raise awareness of this fact, at least in our world. So far, one (of three) of our children has taken time to write letters. It's amazing!

KEEP writing on paper, too!!!!!

The only family I have left are two aunts (one on my Dad's side), two uncles and eight cousins. The oldest cousin is 70.

Ok, I have one uncle but we do not talk or communicate. Haven't for 30 years now.....
The wife tried to send a Christmas card a few years ago with a picture but all we got back was a card with their names signed---their full names. I was done for sure then……:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can't believe that it's actually a fact of the matter. I'm the "family historian" as it were and know all the stories my parents, grandparents, etc would tell me.

That is the truth. I've met people who didn't know their own grandparent's names. I couldn't imagine not knowing about my family and "where we came from."

There's a lot of us left, but most have little interest.

I've been fortunate enough to hear stories firsthand from my Great-Grandfather and my Grandfather, before they past.

I've heard many firsthand and secondhand stories from those who I'm lucky enough to still have here with me.

Hopefully, someone else cares when my time comes.

I am the storyteller in my family---as I am the last one left :doh:
My sons keep asking me to tell various stories over and over. lol lol

I can't believe that it's actually a fact of the matter. I'm the "family historian" as it were and know all the stories my parents, grandparents, etc would tell me.

There's a lot of us left, but most have little interest.

I've been fortunate enough to hear stories firsthand from my Great-Grandfather and my Grandfather, before they past.

I've heard many firsthand and secondhand stories from those who I'm lucky enough to still have here with me.

Hopefully, someone else cares when my time comes.

My mother's mother was more than happy that I was the one who took an interest. She gave me items and stories to back them up. Those are the things I keep well guarded.

Ok, I have one uncle but we do not talk or communicate. Haven't for 30 years now.....
The wife tried to send a Christmas card a few years ago with a picture but all we got back was a card with their names signed---their full names. I was done for sure then……:rolleyes:

Oh boy. Sadly, I know the type. :doh:

When Grandpa passed, my Grandma gave all the sentimental items to my father and I.

She told us that she knew we were the only ones who would appreciate all those personal things.

When you're one of 5 kids/13 grandchildren, you can't help but feel honored.

My mother's mother was more than happy that I was the one who took an interest. She gave me items and stories to back them up. Those are the things I keep well guarded.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Very proud of my 11 year old, who was just notified that he's a national semifinalist in the National Geographic Geography Bee. While he did study for the different rounds, his advantage was that he actually reads National Geographic (kids and adult versions). Not a sexy topic at schools anymore, so nice to see that some teachers and organizations keep events like this alive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82