Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excessive posting? ... Interesting.....

I had a 32 Chevrolet, and it needed a wood skeleton to make the body rigid.
The Ford was a bit more solid, a friend of mine has 2 from that period and can attest to this fact.
Of course my Essex is all steel, with wood for tacking trim to, and wood panels for the floor.
Then again it was made in February of 29, when the country still had money.

Cadillac had a larger engine, but the power was very similar in the early 70's.
The 1971 460 was rated at 365 HP with 500lb torque.
The 1971 500 was rated at 345 HP with 500lb torque.
There was also a 500 rated at 365 HP with 535 torque.
Very similar, and the weights were similar too.
It all comes down to interior, and features.

Something sparkly for Mae.
View attachment 8665
From Motor Trend in 1971...

Oh an if you want to compare REAL cars:
http://www.motortrend.com/classic/f...rado_packard_caribbean_1956_lincoln_premiere/

They can fix that damned junk set up Ford produced to make hidden headlights now with modern electrically operated doors. That vacuum stuff etc. must have been created in a dope smoke haze. The new electric ones operate fast too. It is funny to see them operate when you remember how wonky the originals were and how slowly they opened.
Electrically operated, vacuum operated, witchcraft, voodoo, telekinesis, aliens, magic, whatever; it's just something else that'll eventually go wrong. :rant:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

The Cadillac is indeed a fine car, but like the Duesenberg of earlier years, "nice people" seldom drove them. A bit too flashy. they appealed to a younger, , less experienced crowd. In the 1960's, friends of my parents who owned successful tool and die shops drove Cadillacs. Friends of my parents who were on the Metropolitan Opera board drove Lincolns or Mercedes. Friends of mine who had buildings at Harvard named for them, and whose families first made their money in the China Trade drove twenty-five year old Dodges or fifteen year old Beetles.

The Cadillac is indeed a fine car, but like the Duesenberg of earlier years, "nice people" seldom drove them. A bit too flashy. they appealed to a younger, , less experienced crowd. In the 1960's, friends of my parents who owned successful tool and die shops drove Cadillacs. Friends of my parents who were on the Metropolitan Opera board drove Lincolns or Mercedes. Friends of mine who had buildings at Harvard named for them, and whose families first made their money in the China Trade drove twenty-five year old Dodges or fifteen year old Beetles.

You lived in hippie area didn't you? :rofl:

Are we talking about cars again? Don't forget my Nash Metropolitan! :)
X
BD

I've got just the one for you:
nash-metropolitan-05.jpg

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
You lived in hippie area didn't you? :rofl:

No. Old Boston (and most "Old Money", as I under stand it) money found "flash" to be just a bit vulgar. When one's social standing is unassailable a flashy car is mere frippery. The older generation (born in the 'fifties, 'sixties or early 'seventies) was driven about in luxurious though unostentatious "P's", as a rule. Some of their children went in for flash, but by the 'thirties that sort of show was just not quite acceptable. By the post-war period, elderly, indifferently maintained mid-range cars excited no comment at all, and soon became the norm.

I was raised in a striving, upper middle class Midwestern household, with some delusions as to my social position. The families of my friends in Boston were both discreet and kind enough so that I did not realise the social gulf which stood between us until I was approaching middle age. I am pleased to have been privileged to observe those rarae aves in their natural habitat.

Last edited:

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Self-starters...like that will last. :D
Nice try Vitanola, but some Cadillac drivers just won't listen.
I've driven both, and I prefer the Lincoln.
Vacuum operated anything is improved by making it electric.
I had an old Corvette that way, and the headlights took quite some time to come up.

No. Old Boston (and most "Old Money", as I under stand it) money found "flash" to be just a bit vulgar. When one's social standing is unassailable a flashy car is mere frippery. The older generation (born in the 'fifties, 'sixties or early 'seventies) was driven about in luxurious though unostentatious "P's", as a rule. Some of their children went in for flash, but by the 'thirties that sort of show was just not quite acceptable. By the post-war period, elderly, indifferently maintained mid-range cars excited no comment at all, and soon became the norm.

I was raised in a striving, upper middle class Midwestern household, with some delusions as to my social position. The families of my friends in Boston were both discreet and kind enough so that I did not realise the social gulf which stood between us until I was approaching middle age. I am pleased to have been privileged to observe those rarae aves in their natural habitat.

Boston is full of hippies! The damned fools managed to export themselves here in the 1960s it was terrible! One of my best friends grew up there in a definitely upper class family. He was surrounded by hippies in the 1960s as he relates. They came out here in the late 60s and even attended that O’Leary mess here in 1967. Talk about a mass of hippies! :doh: :laser::hippie: I am expatriating as many as I can. They can go back where they belong----in their Lincolns, Volvos and VW buses.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up

One of my best friends grew up there in a definitely upper class family..

Well, there is "Upper Class" and then there is "Upper Class". A descendant of a Bradford family that had been wealthy since the 1790's, which always lived well below its means, and who had never gone in for flash would be "Upper Class" A Kennedy, or an Olsen would not be "Upper Class".

Yup. My next Cadillac will either be the now gone DeVille, or an Escalade.

The car's a Junker. She was thinking of getting a 300C, at least they're attractive sedans.

We had those vacuum lights on our Corvette, too. Ugh. I'd always forget to pull the valve, shut the car off and you'd have one light popped up. That always aggravated me (not that I had anyone to blame but myself lol)

You have to go to the big SUV to even come close anymore. At least you have room in it then.
A Dodge that is falling apart. Now there is an unusual occurrence. lol lol lol Must have been made in the last twenty years. :p

I figured you liked the mob thing. lol lol

They can fix that damned junk set up Ford produced to make hidden headlights now with modern electrically operated doors. That vacuum stuff etc. must have been created in a dope smoke haze.
The new electric ones operate fast too. It is funny to see them operate when you remember how wonky the originals were and how slowly they opened.

Well, there is "Upper Class" and then there is "Upper Class". A descendant of a Bradford family that had been wealthy since the 1790's, which always lived well below its means, and who had never gone in for flash would be "Upper Class" A Kennedy, or an Olsen would not be "Upper Class".

Everyone knows the Kennedys don't count. lol lol My friend's family laughs at such déclassé trash. lol lol

Yup. My next Cadillac will either be the now gone DeVille, or an Escalade.

The car's a Junker. She was thinking of getting a 300C, at least they're attractive sedans.

We had those vacuum lights on our Corvette, too. Ugh. I'd always forget to pull the valve, shut the car off and you'd have one light popped up. That always aggravated me (not that I had anyone to blame but myself lol)

The DeVille large model wasn't too bad.....

The Chrysler might last a year and then:

They make electric conversions for Corvettes you know. lol lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld