Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
A 7X CB with a curled brim and a non-western ribbon. I know that mode edges with this felt are rare, but how uncommon are homburgs? Or is it just a pencil curl brim? Looking at it larger I don't see a ribbon binding.

Last edited:

paulcr

New in Town
I bid on 7s, 7-1/8s almost strictly. I have picked up a few 6-78s here and there. I also, on very, very rare occasion do a 7-1/4 if the hat is just too primo. But the latter I've only done twice.

How do you deal with a hat the size of 7 1/4?

Also, how can you tell a hat is primo if you are buying on ebay?

Last edited:

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
How do you deal with a hat the size of 7 1/4?

Also, how can you tell a hat is primo if you are buying on ebay?

On the 7-1/4s I just stuff the brim. I have one 7-1/4 that I wear (its my Whippet). The only other 7-1/4 that I owned I ended up selling because I decided it wasn't my style. I can't wear anything bigger, tho, so I am completely out for bidding on anything bigger than 7-1/4 and 99% of the time I even skip 7-1/4. Only rarely will I bid on a 7-1/4.

As to what is "primo," heck that is subjective even without ebay! Ha, ha.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
!CD,6UPwBWk~$(KGrHqF,!lEEz+2,LZ6IBNOfefGl9Q~~0_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...UQZXK8cyejBBK8vskw%3D&viewitem=#ht_500wt_1156

not mine

mind
blown
bruce-conner-design-for-mankind-bombhead-412x516-1.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
A 7X CB with a curled brim and a non-western ribbon. I know that mode edges with this felt are rare, but how uncommon are homburgs? Or is it just a pencil curl brim? Looking at it larger I don't see a ribbon binding.

Appears to be a Mode-edge that has been given the typical Homburg Curl - If it is actually a Stetson/7X rather than a transplanted sweatband. Ventilated crown too. Unknown size, stained felt and ribbon as well as reed coming through sweat edge.

Last edited:
Appears to be a Mode-edge that has been given the typical Homburg Curl - If it is actually a Stetson/7X rather than a transplanted sweatband. Ventilated crown too. Unknown size, stained felt and ribbon as well as reed coming through sweat edge.

I thought it a very Dr. Seussian mixture of features - hoping it is Stetson clear beaver and not a hundred dollar sweatband (that did occur to me too.) The colors in the photos have a very blue cast. The sellers other hat is also a ventilated, linerless homburg... perhaps a modification done by the hatshop? Hoping that both have the same original owner - the other measures out around 7 1/8... would give this one a chance at fitting. Will keep you posted!

Anyone familiar with this Stetson box design?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
I thought it a very Dr. Seussian mixture of features - hoping it is Stetson clear beaver and not a hundred dollar sweatband (that did occur to me too.) The colors in the photos have a very blue cast. The sellers other hat is also a ventilated, linerless homburg... perhaps a modification done by the hatshop? Hoping that both have the same original owner - the other measures out around 7 1/8... would give this one a chance at fitting. Will keep you posted!

Anyone familiar with this Stetson box design?
I share your 7-1/8 size guess since he measured a 7-3/4" length--widths are often stretched so inaccurate. Good Luck!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
On the 7-1/4s I just stuff the brim. I have one 7-1/4 that I wear (its my Whippet). The only other 7-1/4 that I owned I ended up selling because I decided it wasn't my style. I can't wear anything bigger, tho, so I am completely out for bidding on anything bigger than 7-1/4 and 99% of the time I even skip 7-1/4. Only rarely will I bid on a 7-1/4.

As to what is "primo," heck that is subjective even without ebay! Ha, ha.

Aye, my heart bleeds for my microcephalic fellow enthusiasts! ;)

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes I am thankfull that I am not a 7 or 7 1/4 as it seems there where a lot of small headed people in the past.Also I would be buy to many hats and my wife would be upset. I what for my size and color first and then style of the hat. As I actually wear the hats I watch what colors work with the clothes that I wear daily.
I love my Mallory 15 in brown so a dark brown hat is not even looked at in my size of 7 5/8.

buler

I'll Lock Up

Seller was also non-responsive. Never answered my questions. Would have liked to have seen it since it was local.

B

Seller was also non-responsive. Never answered my questions. Would have liked to have seen it since it was local.B

same experience here... which is in contrast to the relatively rare 3 day money back return privilege. Anyhow, sometimes we just pays the money and takes our chances. I will keep you posted with pictures and stories.

Last edited:

fmw

One Too Many
I had another accidental purchase on Ebay. This hat is advertised as new and I thought, heck if it ends up cheap enough it might be ideal for wearing with shorts and T-shirt in the summer or for outdoor work. It was cheap enough. $2.99 plus $5 shipping. I probably couldn't have bought the pugaree for that much from a dealer.

299fedora.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton