Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
Nice price for a Playboy -- although, contrary to the Seller's info, the hat is clearly well-worn, and the liner is missing. Looks like late 50's-ish.

I agree. He overstated it for sure. It looks like there is some wear and some stains on the brim - I'll see when I get it. The liner doesn't bother me too much. I like to have the original liner but my favorite hats I wear without the liner. I'm still excited - I have a bunch of brown hats but not many gray and I've never tried on a Playboy.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I agree. He overstated it for sure. It looks like there is some wear and some stains on the brim - I'll see when I get it. The liner doesn't bother me too much. I like to have the original liner but my favorite hats I wear without the liner. I'm still excited - I have a bunch of brown hats but not many gray and I've never tried on a Playboy.

Congrats, Rodkins. I think you'll really love having a Playboy. And you're right, Playboys also came without liners, so not having one in this one isn't out of keeping with that particular lid. Let us know how you like the weight of that felt...;)

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Josh, I'm glad you won that one - we'll all be interested to see better pics when it comes in.

It looks like the sweatband is cloth? And also it looks like there's some absorber at the front of the sweat.

Thank you Chinaski, I was really happy to win this one. I will post pics as soon as I receive it. The sweatband is cloth, but Im curious if there is a leather sweatband under the cloth, or just the cloth with the leather backed tie string. The seller said the white material above the cloth sweatband was leather, so we will see.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
Seconded... Cool glimpse of history in these bowler trimmings. You've gotten some nice ones, Josh.

Thanks alan! It seems that I have the same problem as many of us on the forum.....my collection just keeps growing and growing every day. But the way that I see it is that a certain amount of the hats that we see on the forum are extremely rare now, but how about in the next 20-30 years? The craftsmanship and work that went into some of these vintage hats are incredible and unfortunately for the most part, a lost art.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
It is, indeed, an equestrian Derby. Usually they also have ring and lanyard to prevent you from losing it, but they all have the adjustable sweatband to more tightly and comfortably fit your head, and some often have padding. They are also often a thicker, heavier felt than a regular Derby, since they are essentially a helmet.

Nice win!

Brad

Awesome, Brad. Thanks very much for the info. When I saw it, the first thing that came to mind were the 18th century hats that used a functional draw string on the sweatbands. Obviously I knew that the hat was much newer than that, but it just seems so cool looking. I didn't even know that it is an equestrian Derby. Ive got to say though, I'm not disappointed. Im really happy that Im adding a unique type of hat to my collection. I wonder what the price point of a hat like this was in the 30's? Surely more than a "standard" Derby?

Alex

Practically Family
You guys are lucky to be able to drop so much money on fedoras frequently. I, being a high school senior with an entry level job, can't really afford to purchase expensive hats often. I need to save up for college next year and still pay for food, gas, and other commodities. I'm okay with it, just makes me appreciate the ones I have more. It kind of pains me though when the hats I'm watching keep going up and up in price:p You guys have been getting some awesome hats though, making it even tougher on me haha. Sorry about that little rant..

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
College and your future is certainly far more important than a stack of hats! Keep at it, Alex. We all support your goals. May you come to a time when you can buy and sell our whole collections with your success.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
And speaking of spending money I don't have....

edit: Hey! It worked! The picture is a link to the auction. How cool is that?

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Nice, Yeps! I like the one on the top left. Looks like the price was pretty good so I hope you'll still have enough left over to eat something this week!

There's always lentils.

As to the hats, I really hope they fit. The auction gave some measurements, but I don't really trust them. At least one of them will work, I think.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I wonder what the price point of a hat like this was in the 30's? Surely more than a "standard" Derby?

I don't know about Stetson prices, but in the '30s all Cavanagh Derbies were $20, regardless of style. Cavanagh is an exception though, because most people didn't spend $20 on a Derby, much less most felt hats in that era, so I'm not sure the information helps. I'm sure Stetson Derbies weren't that expensive, and their Equestrian Derbies were probably the same price as any of them.

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton