Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Its a post Stetson Factory hat so it isn't a Clear Beaver Hat. Still a nice hat for the price. Usually quite stiff by that date(as modern as new possibly).

Last edited:

mflemming

One of the Regulars
Are you sure? The box seems '80s but the sweatband is brown so I was guessing mid-late '70's. I have a Stetson 25 with a very similar sweatband that is really nice soft felt.

Last edited:

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Is this the place for a gripe? It's not about the seller, it's about a certain ubiquitous delivery company whose name gets shortened to 2 syllables.

I won a neat black Christy's Open-Road style, 2 5/8" brim and a high-ish crown, on the 16th. The seller turned it over to a Kinko's/FE to ship, and sent me the tracking number. Nothing happened. I called FE, and they have no record of picking it up!

The seller has refunded me the money while he hunts down the hat, and then we'll redo the transaction, but it still gripes me. He told me that it's not too unusual. A vintage guitar being shipped to one of his friends arrived in shards and with a tire track across the box.

I'm in a short window here to wear felts -- our eons-long summer will be here in March, if not sooner. Grrr!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Is this the place for a gripe? It's not about the seller, it's about a certain ubiquitous delivery company whose name gets shortened to 2 syllables.

I won a neat black Christy's Open-Road style, 2 5/8" brim and a high-ish crown, on the 16th. The seller turned it over to a Kinko's/FE to ship, and sent me the tracking number. Nothing happened. I called FE, and they have no record of picking it up!

The seller has refunded me the money while he hunts down the hat, and then we'll redo the transaction, but it still gripes me. He told me that it's not too unusual. A vintage guitar being shipped to one of his friends arrived in shards and with a tire track across the box.

I'm in a short window here to wear felts -- our eons-long summer will be here in March, if not sooner. Grrr!

You got out just fine and the seller treated you well. Do not use Fed-X. Ask the seller to ship Priority Mail. And if an item is particularly valuable, insure it.

While all shipping companies (including the USPS) make errors, the incidence is very low for shipments that are well packaged and marked. There is a much higher rate of unpredictability in the shipper than the carrier.

My company ships thousands of packages annually and our loss is virtually nil.

just my .02... I hope your package is found quickly.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
While all shipping companies (including the USPS) make errors, the incidence is very low for shipments that are well packaged and marked. There is a much higher rate of unpredictability in the shipper than the carrier.

My company ships thousands of packages annually and our loss is virtually nil.

just my .02... I hope your package is found quickly.
Oh, I agree; I've hardly ever had trouble with any of 'em, USPS included. I suppose this is the far end of the normal curve of shipping experiences.

(The other end would be, your package appears instantly on your desk the moment you click "Buy It Now." I've yet to have that happen. Though I hear some guys in the back room are working on it. . . .)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
After all these years of buying through the mail, I have to say that I've had very few packages mangled or lost. It has to be under 5%, for sure. I've only had one lost completely never to be recovered (still peeves me off because it was a one-of-a-kind item that could never be replaced). But I have to say, with all the things I've bought thru the mail I've had an acceptable failure rate (we ARE dealing with humans, after all).

rlk

I'll Lock Up
They all drop or throw heavy packages. Glass or breakable objects can only be sent in packaging designed commercially for it or box within box. Freight is much safer. When I have been sent such things the failure rate approaches 50%. Heavy gauge metal has been bent beyond repair. I've had more than a dozen objects broken or badly damaged-about 1/2 were packaged adequately. Hats are crushed regularly if the box isn't stiff-enough to support weight piled upon it. I'm not counting when the sender puts a wide brim in a small envelope. Of course my luck is such that the Airlines temporarily lose my suitcase about 1/3 of the time(5 times and I fly about every 3-5 years these days).

Today's Post:
5390335653_3744f96e23.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, the 42nd St. location closed sometime in the 1980s. I worked at the NY Public Library during high school and my dad worked around the corner. We used to meet at Rogers Peet and hunt through the sale racks. You could find some great bargains... especially if you shopped with my Dad.

dad.jpg

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Here is what came via UPS today. "Brown" done brought it…

A Stetsonian in a pleasing gray, size seven. Soft felt with a gray ribbon. It has some interesting double stitching on the top on the brim binding. One row on the binding and one row of stitching about 1/8 up into the brim (because the binding is wider underneath the brim than it is on top).

5390508791_f534d284ef.jpg

5391115824_1c0b19476a.jpg

5391116024_9904833d99.jpg

5391116102_3079c29474.jpg

Also, I guess we can assume this is early 1950s with the O.P.S. tag in it. This makes my first lid with the O.P.S. tag in it, too.

5391116180_2fe44d203a.jpg

5391116230_2fcdc42f94.jpg

5391116268_dabe1cb655.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the 42nd St. location closed sometime in the 1980s. I worked at the NY Public Library during high school and my dad worked around the corner. We used to meet at Rogers Peet and hunt through the sale racks. You could find some great bargains... especially if you shopped with my Dad.

dad.jpg

I have a 1930's Dobbs from that store. In a way it sort of looks like your Dad's hat Alan.

Cheers!

Dan

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton