Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

barrowjh

One Too Many
I see on Ebay that someone is selling off an entire collection of 7 3/4 and 7 5/8 hats made by Optimo in Chicago; all begin with a $25 price and have a $100 BIN. Here is an example : http://cgi.ebay.com/Optimo-Hat-Comp...Men_s_Women_s_Accessories&hash=item3cb480d9a6
I looked in the other forums and did not see where any one was trying to sell off this collection here, not in classifieds. I am a 7 1/8 so of little interest to me, but for someone that wears that size, an Optimo fur felt in excellent condition for $100 is a STEAL.

T Rick

Practically Family
In 1995 they merged with ILGWU to form UNITE. I don't know when they added Metric. Perhaps the '79 Hatco purchase of Stetson from Stevens(name rights).
Thanks, that was the same theory advanced by a guy at a Stetson dealer/Western wear shop here, but I think we can rule out 1979. Must've been a bit later (see below).

The two Open Roads I refer to have standard size tags, no metric. One of these (Silverbelly, much more yellow than the current issue Open Road, but same crown ht. and profile/feel) has the ACTWU label on the back, so 1981 or newer I presume.

The second, which I thought newer, is actually older it seems. Same as above except gray in color, diamond pattern to the liner (vs. smooth satin) and has the United Hatters, Caps and Millinery Workers logo, making it 1981 or earlier.

Last edited:

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I see on Ebay that someone is selling off an entire collection of 7 3/4 and 7 5/8 hats made by Optimo in Chicago; all begin with a $25 price and have a $100 BIN.

I'm not a fan of the live auction postings, but thanks for this. I picked up another milan. The one I own is probably my favorite hat, so I'm really looking forward to receiving this one.

fmw

One Too Many
Bought a vintage Resistol pork pie today on Ebay. I didn't mean to. I put a bid on it when it was really cheap just to keep an eye on it. Nobody else ever bid. I'm not sure what I'll do with it since my wife won't let me wear pork pies. :)

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Bought a vintage Resistol pork pie today on Ebay. I didn't mean to. I put a bid on it when it was really cheap just to keep an eye on it. Nobody else ever bid.

LOL. I've had that happen a few times. I've put in a bid on a hat never imagining I'd get it and then just moved on. Then, days later I'd find out I won it. I last did that with a Stetson western. I ended up just selling it later.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I just use the Watch it function on ebay lets you watch the price without biding. I do it mainly to watch pricing so I know what a hat is worth if I want to purchase a style in the future. Sometimes its not even the same size as my big head I have no need for a size 7 hat.

fmw

One Too Many
I don't keep up with the watch it function. If I use, I never keep up with it. So I got a pork pie for $13. Things could be worse.

Ande1964

Practically Family
I won this hat/box combo. The hat will be way too small for me, but the price was too good to pass on. I can use the box and flip the hat (assuming it's reasonably nice). I'm getting the grey hat on the left.

Anj

Chinaski

One Too Many
Gray, size 58cm and date stamped 03/19/59.

!CD!N72QB2k~$(KGrHqN,!jME0DorDv!jBNNHzglW6Q~~_12.JPG

!CD!NtZgB2k~$(KGrHqF,!isE0Fyk7uO(BNNHz!yw6Q~~_12.JPG

Mayser, there is just something about this hat that I can't really put my finger on, but it's fantastic! Nice one.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I'm not a fan of the live auction postings, but thanks for this. I picked up another milan. The one I own is probably my favorite hat, so I'm really looking forward to receiving this one.

I recall seeing pictures of your other milan and remember it had a really great looking blue/white ribbon? Congrats on picking up another...

Mayser, there is just something about this hat that I can't really put my finger on, but it's fantastic! Nice one.

Thanks! The seller photos aren't very good but I have the same feeling.

Also picked up this size 60cm Hückel. Same situation as the gray Echter Borsalino.

!CD(hREwCGk~$(KGrHqV,!ikE0HVF-!8BBNOT-2tM1Q~~_12.JPG

Last edited:

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
I think I need to cool it on the bay watching for a bit, bought four hats in two weeks!! It's far too easy and they all look good, there are far worse things to be addicted to but at some point it starts to look like OCD!!!!!!!

I think I need to cool it on the bay watching for a bit, bought four hats in two weeks!! It's far too easy and they all look good, there are far worse things to be addicted to but at some point it starts to look like OCD!!!!!!!

You'll be OK... four hats in two weeks is a mild case. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jrichards1007