Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

fmw

One Too Many
Go figure. I put a low bid on a hat and nobody else ever bid. It isn't so bad, really. The felt is dirty but in perfect shape. The sweatband is rotted. I didn't know what I was going to do with it. Tomorrow I'll send it for cleaning, blocking and a new sweat band. My wife absolutely hates pork pies. Maybe she will adjust to it over time. It has a wider brim than most of them. :)

resistolpork.jpg

resistolporkinterior.jpg

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
more jacks....

I was able to snag 2 more jacks this week....they came as a pair, got them for $21. One is 2", the other is 1 1/4". The thinner one seems to be oval too.

You can see in comparison, that it's not as wide as my third, and the crank is cast iron on them.

DSC05613.jpg

DSC05614.jpg

DSC05615.jpg

DSC05616.jpg

Bid twice tonight and was whomped on both. Felt good... kinda like an exorcism.
Lots of good stuff passing through ebay that I hope to see in our New Hat forum, friends.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
looks like one of them horsey ridin' derbies.
061aa.jpg

I thought this one was really cool. I actually won this one. I love the liner and all the work that went into this hat. The inside kind of reminds me of 1870's and 1880s top hats. I was thinking that it dates to somewhere in the 30's based on the liner. Im curious to see the paper labels under the sweatband. I love that the hat has a name like, "The Chase." In a lot of Stetson's turn of the century catalogs and 1920's catalogs, most, if not all the hats have some sort of name like "The ......."

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
The drawstring is usually a remnant of the days when hats only came in basic sizes, and then were made to fit via the string. You see them used as decoration all the way through to today. This one, though, seems to have it there for actual use, which I haven't seen on anything other than riding hats. Unless it's just made to evoke the style, I believe that's an equestrian hat (dressage?). IMO, the cloth sweat would support this idea, though I don't know much of anything about riding hats.

Last edited:

Chinaski

One Too Many
Josh, I'm glad you won that one - we'll all be interested to see better pics when it comes in.

It looks like the sweatband is cloth? And also it looks like there's some absorber at the front of the sweat.

Last edited:

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It is, indeed, an equestrian Derby. Usually they also have ring and lanyard to prevent you from losing it, but they all have the adjustable sweatband to more tightly and comfortably fit your head, and some often have padding. They are also often a thicker, heavier felt than a regular Derby, since they are essentially a helmet.

Nice win!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
philheaton