Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
That Playboy is as good as they get. The vintage, size, condition, color, box, everything is there. This is one of the very few occasions where I can understand a $300+ sale price. Well done to whomever fought and 'won' that one.

Gene -- I couldn't agree more with you on all counts. Plus, check out the ribbon treatment, which is unlike any I've seen on any Stetson Playboy, and appears to have perforations around the bottom spaced out every inch or so:

PlayboyRibbon.jpg

I have been waiting and waiting to find a Playboy like this one. I have one in pewter gray that I really can't (won't) wear, since the brim is 2 1/2" and doesn't work for me. I will probably sell that one to offset the new arrival. Always hard to tell from auction photos, but it sure looks to me like this one may be a light sage green in color. And, it appears to have a wider brim (auction says 2 3/4" -- but we'll see) which would make this a very wearable lid for me. I am really looking forward to its arrival...

Cheers,
JtL

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
I am really looking forward to its arrival...

Cheers,
JtL

Man, I got all the way down to this part before I realized you are the one who got the hat. WOO-HOO for you, buddy!! :) That is really, really a tremendous looking fedora. For once, I'm actually GLAD it wasn't in my size or that price might've gone even higher. ;) Please give us a real run-down when it comes.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
I have been waiting and waiting to find a Playboy like this one. I have one in pewter gray that I really can't (won't) wear, since the brim is 2 1/2" and doesn't work for me. I will probably sell that one to offset the new arrival. Always hard to tell from auction photos, but it sure looks to me like this one may be a light sage green in color. And, it appears to have a wider brim (auction says 2 3/4" -- but we'll see) which would make this a very wearable lid for me. I am really looking forward to its arrival...

Cheers,
JtL

So it's heading for the JtL Functional Hat Museum - I can't think of a more appropriate place for it to land. That is one sweet ribbon.

...I had a funny feeling my $180 bid wasn't going to register.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
jimmy the lid said:
Gene -- I couldn't agree more with you on all counts. Plus, check out the ribbon treatment, which is unlike any I've seen on any Stetson Playboy, and appears to have perforations around the bottom spaced out every inch or so:

PlayboyRibbon.jpg

... I am really looking forward to its arrival...

Cheers,
JtL

Congratulations!! I'm sage-green with envy ;)

jimmy the lid said:
I have been waiting and waiting to find a Playboy like this one....

Cheers,
JtL
Uh...what did I say earlier?

Oh yeah = "BTW, you got folks like Jimmy the Lid in the 7 3/8 space & we all know what that can do to prices!!!" :D lol :D

Congrats Chief. I'd been there too if it was a 7 5/8!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Shoulda checked my e-mail this morning...

My search for a rounding jack paid off, but I didn't check my e-mail until after someone else used the BIN! :eusa_doh:

I had a sniper set up for that Playboy, but wasn't optimistic as I only bid $221. Wasn't expecting it to go as high as it did, though. Congratulations, Jimmy! At least the rest of us can take comfort in the fact that it went to someone who will definitely appreciate it! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Regards,
Tom

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
In the lower price-bracket, there was this very nice, probably 40s Dunlap in 7 3/8 or so.
83c8_10.JPG
826d_10.JPG

Actually, it's probably early- to mid-'30s, since it doesn't yet have the Hat Corp. looped tassel. Nice deal for someone!

Brad

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
Lefty said:
In the lower price-bracket, there was this very nice, probably 40s Dunlap in 7 3/8 or so.
83c8_10.JPG
826d_10.JPG

This is a perfect example of asking the seller for a BIN. This was originally set for a $19.99 starting bid and based on the listing I thought I had a fair chance at it but last night I saw that it ended with buy it now. GRR!! :rage: Well whoever won it should enjoy it....greatly....

Also, nice win Jimmy. :eusa_clap I won the 7 1/4 Playboy a few days ago and had a good feeling that you would grab the nicer, larger one. ;)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Well, I see that I wasn't the only one who thought that the Playboy was worth a healthy bid. Thanks, guys -- and, in particular, thanks for the nice words from my fellow bidders, gentlemen all. :)

Cheers,
JtL

buler

I'll Lock Up
M_Jones said:
This is a perfect example of asking the seller for a BIN. This was originally set for a $19.99 starting bid and based on the listing I thought I had a fair chance at it but last night I saw that it ended with buy it now. GRR!! :rage: Well whoever won it should enjoy it....greatly....

QUOTE]

Confession time. I'll be a big boy and admit to being the horrible person who committed this sin. Just so you know, I felt guilty about doing it from the start. Seems I got caught up in old hat buying fever. Also, I've never done this before and won't in the future. I apologize to anyone who may have been interested in this hat.

Meanwhile, I'm looking to do something with this hat to make up for my sins.

B

M_Jones

One of the Regulars
buler said:
Confession time. I'll be a big boy and admit to being the horrible person who committed this sin. Just so you know, I felt guilty about doing it from the start. Seems I got caught up in old hat buying fever. Also, I've never done this before and won't in the future. I apologize to anyone who may have been interested in this hat.

Meanwhile, I'm looking to do something with this hat to make up for my sins.

B

Hey, all is fair on eBay, no crime committed as far as I am concerned. I have done this a couple of times to varying degrees of success. I once was so excited to get a particular green hat that I told the seller right out I would pay $140 for it. :eusa_doh: Her eyes must have popped out of her head and she had the auction changed in a heartbeat. I am actually quite glad that you got it. I really didn't need another hat of that color and you are more reliable for pictures. Enjoy it, like Brad said it is an old one and that make in that size is rare. Be sure to post plenty of pictures so we can get in on this treasure. ;)

It just goes to show you that it never hurts to ask....:)

Jabos

A-List Customer
ScottF said:
So it's heading for the JtL Functional Hat Museum - I can't think of a more appropriate place for it to land. That is one sweet ribbon.

...I had a funny feeling my $180 bid wasn't going to register.

JTL, you are creating a museum quality collection. You have the greatest hats, and this one certainly should end up in the main hall of your hat gallary. I'll come by and pick up something from your gift shop someday! Congrats on a great great hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe