Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Borso, 7 1/4
!BTPEoewBmk~$(KGrHgoH-CsEjlLlvGm7BKH(6zsZVg~~_1.JPG
!BTPEr9g!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-CIEjlLl0nU1BKH(69z04w~~_1.JPG

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Chinaski said:
I like that Borso, and it looks to be in great condition. Did anyone here nab that one? I'd like to hear if it turns out to be as good as it looks.

That one will be joining my little hat family. I hope it really is gray as the description said, but it looks brown on my monitor. If it's as nice as it appears to be either color will do.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
That one will be joining my little hat family. I hope it really is gray as the description said, but it looks brown on my monitor. If it's as nice as it appears to be either color will do.

Bob, the seller included by accident pictures from his similar brown Borso auction that ended previously. So I think you'll get grey.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
So, the hat pictured is not the one Bob bought?

The first picture, that looks greyish, IS Bob's new hat. The brown pics are from an old auction. Go check the seller's completed auctions and you'll see a brown Borsalino - many of the pics are the same. I don't know which ones go with which hats, but it's logical to assume the greyish picture is accurate.

Wish I had so many Borsos I got them confused.

Lonny

One of the Regulars
Hello!
I'm new on these forums!
I recently purchased a hat off eBay from a member called Caliqo.
For 250$ I got a furfelt fedora tailored to my large head! :D
It is listed as a Johnny Depp hat on eBay and this guy has a few of them in a couple of colours, they are tailor made and everything.
So anywho.
I got this hat and a few days ago it stormed outside and the brim was ruined, luckily I found a hatter who could straighten it out and I will recieve it some time early next week. :)
I tried steaming it and fixing it that way but it only got worse from there. :(
I will try to get a picture up, it has to be the nicest hat I have ever seen. :)

Lonny.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Michaelshane said:
Rain shouldn't hurt a good hat.....looking forward to seeing pics.

Is that true of any good hat? A Stetson that I bought new a few months ago practically turned to mush from the a good rain - after that experience, I would not buy another new Stetson. Rains too much in Seattle to have to hide your hat from the weather.

Inusuit

A-List Customer
Lonny said:
Hello!
I'm new on these forums!
I recently purchased a hat off eBay from a member called Caliqo.
For 250$ I got a furfelt fedora tailored to my large head! :D
It is listed as a Johnny Depp hat on eBay and this guy has a few of them in a couple of colours, they are tailor made and everything.
So anywho.
I got this hat and a few days ago it stormed outside and the brim was ruined, luckily I found a hatter who could straighten it out and I will recieve it some time early next week. :)
I tried steaming it and fixing it that way but it only got worse from there. :(
I will try to get a picture up, it has to be the nicest hat I have ever seen. :)

Lonny.

I looked up this seller. I'm suspicious by nature. Couple of things bother me. The seller is asking $199.00 for a wool felt "Billy Jack Style" hat. Lot of money for wool felt. Claims the hats including the Johnny Depp Fedoras are custom made to size, but the sizes are S, M, L, XL. So the hats are not made to an exact size, let alone to a regular, wide or long oval designation.

I agree with Michaelshane that a good hat will not be ruined by rain, and that includes modern Stetsons (although I'm not disputing that modern Stetsons may in fact turn to mush in Seattle). A quality fur felt hat should take a soaking and if allowed to air dry, survive without damage to the brim or crown.

Lonny, I'm surprised that you would characterize this as the "nicest hat you have ever seen." Let's see, you paid $250 plus shipping. It was basically ruined in the first rain storm. You will be paying an additional $??? to have a hatter fix it, and you still will not be able to wear it if it rains?

Reality check. The same money will buy a 100% beaver Vintage Silhouette hat from Art Fawcett made to your exact size and specifications. I guarantee it will not fall apart in the first rain storm.

Sorry, man. I think you paid too much for your whistle.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ScottF said:
The first picture, that looks greyish, IS Bob's new hat. The brown pics are from an old auction. Go check the seller's completed auctions and you'll see a brown Borsalino - many of the pics are the same. I don't know which ones go with which hats, but it's logical to assume the greyish picture is accurate.

Wish I had so many Borsos I got them confused.

Well, hopefully it will be a nice gray Borso. I thought I got a quite good buy assuming it's a nice hat. This will be my second Borsalino, the first being an Alessandria. I've been looking for a more traditional gray Borso to add to my clan. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that this is it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe