Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Jabos

A-List Customer
AP-Motown. Jimmy The Lid has opened the new Stetson Playboy wing of his International Fedora Hall of Fame. Busts are now in place and the collection of Playboys will be displayed on those busts later in the month. The latest Playboy acquisition has recently been announced and is being hailed as the "Crown Jewel" of the lot in the fedora world. Lloyds of London confirmed a new policy has been issued for the Playboy collection but refused to disclose the insured amount. Jimmy The Lid was unavailable for comment, and a museum spokesman advised, off the record, he was on the computer looking for hats to fill the new wing. "He spends all of his time scanning Ebay. We have to interrupt him just to sign our paychecks. He is obsessed!"
389208233riCUSx_fs.jpg

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
GClark said:
I just got this with "buy it now", so I assume it is now ok to post it.
Kind of hard to tell from the pics included, but what do you think? It seemed like a good price for a 7 3/8?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260423699086

Haha! Congrats on that! I emailed the seller yesterday, asking if there was anything additional stamped on the sweat. I got up early and had her response (with the word "twenty"), but by the time I got to the ebay listing you had BIN'd it.

I think you did very well - congratulations!

BTW, GClark - I spotted this hat a little later, and I've been looking for a black Stetson that would fit. I had some questions for the seller, but when I think a hat is a good BIN, and I have a reasonable certainty about the answers to my questions, I don't mess around - hit that button!

I realize this isn't an Open Road, but it's a black Stetson that should fit me, with a decent size brim and a nice ribbon. I'm thinking the liner dates it to at least mid-50's?

Black Stetson

!BT0,kZQBWk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLm,WqpBKKbkrIejQ~~_1.JPG

!BT0,f4w!2k~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLm,etkBKKbkUzu2Q~~_1.JPG

GClark

One of the Regulars
ScottF said:
Haha! Congrats on that! I emailed the seller yesterday, asking if there was anything additional stamped on the sweat. I got up early and had her response (with the word "twenty"), but by the time I got to the ebay listing you had BIN'd it.

I think you did very well - congratulations!

BTW, GClark - I spotted this hat a little later, and I've been looking for a black Stetson that would fit. I had some questions for the seller, but when I think a hat is a good BIN, and I have a reasonable certainty about the answers to my questions, I don't mess around - hit that button!

I realize this isn't an Open Road, but it's a black Stetson that should fit me, with a decent size brim and a nice ribbon. I'm thinking the liner dates it to at least mid-50's?

So that was you - I saw the question and answer before I bid.
Yes - I'm getting the picture that you can't wait around for the BIN ...

That Stetson does look nice!
I will post some pictures when the Dobbs arrives - the black hats seem to show up badly in pics though...

GC

suitedcboy

One Too Many
OK, I don't know what is going on here! Obviously Lefty is on the other side of the vintage hat firewall that is blocking choice hats from being found on Ebay by many of the rest of us.
I faithfully browse Ebay with several search arguments and I miss these gems that Lefty posts here all the time.
I must go back and do a custom install of McAfee on this PC and uncheck the hat blocker feature.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jabos said:
AP-Motown. Jimmy The Lid has opened the new Stetson Playboy wing of his International Fedora Hall of Fame. Busts are now in place and the collection of Playboys will be displayed on those busts later in the month. The latest Playboy acquisition has recently been announced and is being hailed as the "Crown Jewel" of the lot in the fedora world. Lloyds of London confirmed a new policy has been issued for the Playboy collection but refused to disclose the insured amount. Jimmy The Lid was unavailable for comment, and a museum spokesman advised, off the record, he was on the computer looking for hats to fill the new wing. "He spends all of his time scanning Ebay. We have to interrupt him just to sign our paychecks. He is obsessed!"
389208233riCUSx_fs.jpg

Jim, this is fabulous! An entire wing of Playboys? lol lol lol

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Looks like Jimmy has struck again! 3X Stetson Mode Edge

Another very nice hat going north of $300!

!BTbndUQBmk~$(KGrHgoOKjwEjlLmS!t7BKIcd1W-9g~~_1.JPG

!BTbneq!Bmk~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLmJg8nBKIcd-op!w~~_1.JPG

!BTbngP!!mk~$(KGrHgoOKjQEjlLmQu1cBKIceIN)C!~~_1.JPG

When I first started buying hats if you really wanted one you could bid $200 and feel confident you'd win. That number keeps going up; looks like now it's up to $450-$500! :eek:

I need to win the lottery... which, I suppose, means I ought to buy a ticket now and then! lol

Cheers,
Tom

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
GClark said:
So that was you - I saw the question and answer before I bid.
Yes - I'm getting the picture that you can't wait around for the BIN ...

That Stetson does look nice!
I will post some pictures when the Dobbs arrives - the black hats seem to show up badly in pics though...

GC

Yep, when you see what looks like a great deal, you have to read FAST, make some assumptions, and hit the button. If the brim had been a little wider on your hat, I wouldn't have hesitated.

You're sure right about photographing black hats. There's one person here who can sure do it, though - our Fed IV man.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
suitedcboy said:
OK, I don't know what is going on here! Obviously Lefty is on the other side of the vintage hat firewall that is blocking choice hats from being found on Ebay by many of the rest of us.
I faithfully browse Ebay with several search arguments and I miss these gems that Lefty posts here all the time.
I must go back and do a custom install of McAfee on this PC and uncheck the hat blocker feature.

Man, that's the truth - I have some incredibly all-inclusive vintage searches that don't show the stuff he finds. Oh well, I still spend too much money on hats. The one hat he found that I also found, I'm really glad I resisted the urge to bid on - with all the education he's given me, I'm glad he picks up a real beauty every now and then for himself. Plus, I dress too much like a bum to wear that hat.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
suitedcboy said:

80% of the hats I find just come by following this listing:
Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Vintage > Vintage Accessories > Men's Hats

15% come by just looking at what's listed under "Stetson".

The rest come by a search designed by NASA. :p
(Actually, it's about 10 saved searches, using just about every manufacturer name I know.)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
80% of the hats I find just come by following this listing:
Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Vintage > Vintage Accessories > Men's Hats

15% come by just looking at what's listed under "Stetson".

The rest come by a search designed by NASA. :p
(Actually, it's about 10 saved searches, using just about every manufacturer name I know.)

And I thought it was bad enough searching for my three brands!

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe