Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Michaelshane said:
What did you think of the black one?

The Gelot (the only black straw I was watching) wasn't a panama. I'm not sure what it was but, even though I think it's a man's hat, I thought it looked more like a woman's.

e9a1_12.JPG
e840_12.JPG

!BOOvq3!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKjMEjlLmVUyGBJto+K2p)Q~~_12.JPG
ece5_12.JPG

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
DoctorJ said:
So... can anyone tell me more about this hat that I am eagerly awaiting?

F. Berg & Co. was founded in 1864 by Frederick Berg, and at one time was one of the largest hat manufacturing companies in Orange, NJ, one of the centers of soft hat manufacturing during the nineteenth century. The company moved to South Norwalk, CT, in 1926, and was merged into Cavanagh-Dobbs in 1929.

At the time your hat was manufactured the company was Hat Corporation of America.

Nice find, as Bergs don’t turn up too often.

Brad

Jabos

A-List Customer
jec said:
I had a sniped bid on that one, too. Enjoy it.
I thought you might have been bidding too. I had a very itchy trigger finger but I had "company" over my shoulder reminding me of the VS that should be arriving today. :(

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
The Gelot (the only black straw I was watching) wasn't a panama. I'm not sure what it was but, even though I think it's a man's hat, I thought it looked more like a woman's.

e9a1_12.JPG
e840_12.JPG

!BOOvq3!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKjMEjlLmVUyGBJto+K2p)Q~~_12.JPG
ece5_12.JPG

Para or Bali Buntal....methinks more like Para...

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Marc Chevalier said:
Wow ... Gelot was one of the great Parisian hatters before WWII. Very expensive too. Wonder why this hat is black?

The only posts that I've found on Gelot are by Matt Deckard, writing about their modern hats and calling them terrible, and Art, calling their vintage felt the best from France. Modern incarnations pop-up on ebay every now and then and do look fourth rate. I've never seen one that looks older than 60s. I think that there's only one Gelot on the Lounge.

MattJH

One Too Many
Tango Yankee said:
I've got a similar one, Matt.

I thought it would be handy as well. I found instead that unlike a hook, which hooks the side of the crown, this one tends to push the crown up if you're not careful.

In retrospect I decided that it was likely meant for ladies' hat displays.

Still, if your hat's crown is rather set in it's ways, or if you're careful when you drop it onto the stand, or if you simply like redoing your crease each time you pick it off the stand, it'll work.

I hope this doesn't come off as being too negative. :eek: It's just that I was kind of excited about mine when I bought it and was disappointed at my results. :(

I hope it works out better for you!

Cheers,
Tom[/COLOR]

Thanks Tom! It arrived today, and I quickly determined that you're correct. But I found a way to make it work wonderfully -- by hanging it horizontally from the top of my cubicle wall:

hat-peg.jpg

I didn't wear a hat to work today because it's not cold or sunny, but as you can see, I'm confident that this will work like a charm!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
bolthead said:
Shudder Bros. for 20 beans.....

bfd5_1.JPG

....and this Akubra for under $10.

b804_1.JPG

Hi, I grabbed the Shudder Bros hat. It looks like there might be an issue with the leather band attachment at the sides, but I figured I'd take a chance at that price. I like to 'restore' things, specializing in pre-wwii pool cues, so replacing the band on this and working a teardrop crown (if felt's not to stiff) seemed like an interesting project.

I'm new to this forum, but have already learned a great deal by reading through your posts - thanks for all the great information and entertainment. This was my first vintage acquisition - I have only picked up a few new fedoras over the years, most recently a nice brown Stetson Sovereign. Thanks, Scott

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The Shudde is an old police trooper hat. The leather bit is probably the strap that goes around the back of the head. It can either be removed, or you might be able to find a replacement through stratton or one of their distributes.
Shudde Bros. is still around. I'd say yours dates to the 1950s.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
MattJH said:
Thanks Tom! It arrived today, and I quickly determined that you're correct. But I found a way to make it work wonderfully -- by hanging it horizontally from the top of my cubicle wall:

hat-peg.jpg

I didn't wear a hat to work today because it's not cold or sunny, but as you can see, I'm confident that this will work like a charm!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :D

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
This is the ebay photo for this Borsalino.

Borsalino.jpg

This is what it looks like after a cleaning, resize, and reblock on my split aluminum dome stretcher.

P1070289.jpg

I'd say it was well worth the $27.72 total. :) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg