Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jec

One of the Regulars
MattJH said:
What I mean is I was called to a meeting that wasn't planned. I was dragged, kicking and screaming, from my desk and into a conference room. There seriously wasn't anything I could do about it.

Seriously, though, Matt - if you want the freedom to be able to bid on EBay auctions without having to be connected to your computer at the right time, then there is a solution. As Marc recommended above, you can use one of the various auction sniping services, such as Auction Sniper, or Esnipe.

I think they are well worth the minimal cost. To be FREED from the tyranny of the auction schedule is incredibly liberating - and you are much more likely to win auctions by having your high bid entered for you at the very last moment. You can 'set' your bid way in advance, so there is no requirement be anywhere near your desktop at the crucial moment; in fact, your computer can be off and you can be out on the town. Imagine that.

Even though this means another SNIPER might be out there to compete with ME :rage: , I do recommend you look into this option.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't know if the date range on this is accurate or not, but this Stetson Boss of the Plains style hat went for $227.50.
283b_12.JPG
!BOPgtUQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoH-D0EjlLlvkV2BJtr,eF-iQ~~_12.JPG

2fa9_12.JPG
!BOPg)GgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-C4EjlLl0-E2BJtr,oLqYw~~_12.JPG

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
I didn't get a 10% off coupon but I'm pleased to have won a sweet hat. :)

Carter, Your hat is in the mail. It is the newest 60 year old hat I have ever seen. Enjoy it.

ps I did not get a coupon either.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
I don't know if the date range on this is accurate or not, but this Boss of the Plains style hat went for $227.50.

If memory serves me correctly, Stetson got that trademark in the 1920's.

carter

I'll Lock Up
carouselvic said:
Carter, Your hat is in the mail. It is the newest 60 year old hat I have ever seen. Enjoy it.

ps I did not get a coupon either.
Thanks, carouselvic. I'm looking forward to enjoying it!
I'm off to mail one, to another member, as well.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Viper Man said:
Bah. That's cheating.

Nah... it's just using the available tools to get the job done! ;)

Seriously, without sniping I'd rarely win an auction. I'm stuck with satellite Internet access through Hughes.net if I want anything besides dial-up.

It's not as fast as they claim, and for some reason they never mention the lag time you get with a satellite connection. It's well worth it to me to do the "fire and forget" routine because of this, as well as freeing me from my computer.

Regards,
Tom

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:

Just to follow-up on this one...

Brad Bowers was absolutely right -- this lid is a Homburg with a revamped brim. Bummer. Since I would never think of doing this to a Homburg to begin with, I really didn't study the brim in the auction photos from this perspective. Lesson learned. Despite the Seller's claim that the hat was in "excellent" condition -- it, in fact, was quite dirty and the leather on the sweat had a tear of several inches down one side.

But, apparently, the hat gods were smiling. While the auction claimed the size of the hat to be 7 3/8, it was actually 7 1/8. So, it has been returned and all monies have been refunded. Dodged a bullet on that one...Whew! :eusa_doh: [huh] :eek:

Cheers,
JtL

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lefty said:
For those who are in on the deal, the repro measuring tool seems like a good deal at $100. This vintage one went for about $250.
b4e2_1.JPG

Where are you looking to find the repro tools?

The price listed for that antique hat sizer is average. Here's one I purchased and posted in the hat tool thread:

hat_measuring_tool.jpg

From this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88