Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
This is my first hat purchase in quite a long time. I'm going to have to put something behind the sweat, but for $50, I wasn't about to pass this up.

Any help on dating? Did vita-felt make it past the 40s?

239579425_tp.jpg
239579469_tp.jpg

239579485_tp.jpg
239579499_tp.jpg

239579514_tp.jpg

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
NICE!

Lefty said:
This is my first hat purchase in quite a long time. I'm going to have to put something behind the sweat, but for $50, I wasn't about to pass this up.

239579425_tp.jpg
239579469_tp.jpg

239579485_tp.jpg
239579499_tp.jpg

239579514_tp.jpg
Well done Lefty!
How'd the heck did I miss THAT one! Lemme know if it doesn't work out or if you'd wanna trade for something somewhat smaller.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Thanks guys.
I didn't bother asking the seller, but any guesses on the true color?
From the photos, I'm not sure if it's over-exposed black, gray, or blue.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
Thanks guys.
I didn't bother asking the seller, but any guesses on the true color?
From the photos, I'm not sure if it's over-exposed black, gray, or blue.

Most of the time, the shot that shows the sweatband and liner will be close to the true color of the felt. :)

Inusuit

A-List Customer
rlk said:
On a lighter note. I took a chance on a lot of 4 hats for just $50.00. I didn't come up with any treasures but here's one.
3351720284_a2578f2db1_b.jpg

3350896865_e6fd8a7806_b.jpg

3350897121_c2d843efb0_b.jpg

This an old Resistol "Plains" with wrap-around Wildfowl. There was another fairly nice Western Hat in the box, A Dobbs Fedora and a Stephen Stetson Open Road Clone. This was the only one that nearly fits. The other 3 will soon be on ebay again(maybe this one too). Hideously Ugly or Strangely Beautiful?

How fast do you think he was going when he hit the duck?

MattJH

One Too Many
I found this via eBay's Buy It Now! and just pulled the trigger. An antique hat stand:

103201118_o.jpg

103049013_o.jpg

I've never seen one like it before. Have you? Either way, I figure it'd be a good way to store my hat while I'm at work -- just affix it to the side of my desk.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
MattJH said:
I found this via eBay's Buy It Now! and just pulled the trigger. An antique hat stand:

I've never seen one like it before. Have you? Either way, I figure it'd be a good way to store my hat while I'm at work -- just affix it to the side of my desk.

I've got a similar one, Matt.

I thought it would be handy as well. I found instead that unlike a hook, which hooks the side of the crown, this one tends to push the crown up if you're not careful.

In retrospect I decided that it was likely meant for ladies' hat displays.

Still, if your hat's crown is rather set in it's ways, or if you're careful when you drop it onto the stand, or if you simply like redoing your crease each time you pick it off the stand, it'll work.

I hope this doesn't come off as being too negative. :eek: It's just that I was kind of excited about mine when I bought it and was disappointed at my results. :(

I hope it works out better for you!

Cheers,
Tom

Woodfluter

Practically Family
Lefty said:
Near perfect Stetson Sovereign 20 goes for big bucks, considering the 7 1/4 size.

Egad!!!
That's $100 more than I paid for my 7-1/2 Stetson 25 OR! And I thought I was bidding sort of high at the time. (I've learned more since.)

Well, it's a fine hat in any case, but it makes me wonder whether there's some inflation, temporary or not, going on.

- Bill

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:

I'd say that the liner, plus the absence of a reeded sweat, put this one in the 1940-ish zone. [Note how the sweatband treatment matches up with johnnyphi lids from that same time frame...;)] Nice lid!

Cheers,
JtL

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Blurry Cavanagh arrives

Lefty said:

3360485497_53c7a14e51_b.jpg

3361303638_779cb53022.jpg

3361303936_7afcd30054.jpg

3360486639_5be13ddcbf.jpg

3360522395_af2ae5f707_b.jpg

Just pulled it out of the box(crumbling original hat box). What a dirty,crusty hat. It actually says Size 7-1/4 in 3 places. Not very brown but a greenish gray taupe. Brim is 2-9/16" 4-1/2" Crown in Front 5" peak at side. Sweatband is pretty crispy and has a brown bow tie at seam. The seller measured width and length correctly. Its rather shrunken for 7-1/4" It sure wasn't hard to find the size. I think there's some nice felt to be discovered after excavation. The crumbling box says John Cavanagh, Ltd. With the brown sweatband bow and Ltd box I suspect its older than the one sold earlier today which may well be the same color.

3361432760_423be8ff19_b.jpg

And it has the much favored front pinch and and creasing with squarish crown associated with a nameless movie character(Sorry)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It should clean up nicely. Nice score! I've noticed that Cavanagh sweats do tend to crumble. If you want to wear it, have a new sweat installed, but save the old one.

Is there a Union label inside anywhere?

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
Brad -- what would the union label signify?

Cheers,
JtL

That it was made 1946 or later. That's when Hat Corp. became a union shop with the United Hatters, Cap, and Millinery Workers International. Prior to that, they had local union representation, but not national.

Just another useful tool for dating hats.:)

Brad

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth