Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ebay Hats: Victories, Defeats, Gripes & Items of Interest

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
Gorgeous Stratoliner

Lefty said:
the big bucks we've come to expect for the Stratoliner
!BNmG72gB2k~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLm,etkBJqfs4!I3!~~_12.JPG
!BNmG8mQCGk~$(KGrHgoOKkIEjlLmUkORBJqfs8sh,g~~_12.JPG

!BNmG9UwBWk~$(KGrHgoOKiIEjlLmWN(BBJqftBr-mg~~_12.JPG
be24_12.JPG
Beautiful blue tones--great buy, Lefty!

kaosharper1

One Too Many
jec said:
This one slipped through unnoticed last weekend - but I was the winner. Based on very little information and poor photos, I gambled on a rare 7 3/8 in gray... and it just arrived yesterday. Surprise! It's a Lee Adventurer.

The color is pretty true in the posted photo: pale bluish steel gray. And except for some dirt and a small stain on front of the ribbon, the hat is in good condition. Maybe it will have to go out for a block and cleaning and maybe even a new ribbon, but I am a happy camper today. EBay has been a crap shoot for me in the past, so I have to savor the victories!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=330309918916#ebayphotohosting

I will post additional photos in the New Hats thread as soon as I clean it up and bash the crown to my liking.

Nice score, in a great color.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks, TY. I can hardly sit still when I think about that hat. I'll be really glad to get my hands on it. You'll get one.

And, Bolt, thank you. Next time the whippet! I learned a thing or two this time around. A friend advised me that to catch the big fish you've got to cast the big bait. I find myself quite enjoying having these really nice hats from the past at my house.

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
BobC said:
This one will be joining my family.

Congratulations. Marvelous color. I don't normally bid on Strats, so don't have a search set up for them....but I would have on yours.

So your competition could have been much worse. This is another seller who plays the game of Hide The Fedora. ;)

Listed in category: Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Men's Accessories > Hats > Wide Brim

Also listed in: Clothing, Shoes & Accessories > Vintage > Men's Vintage Clothing > 1930-46 (Depression, WWII) > Other

BobC

Bob Smalser said:
Congratulations. Marvelous color. I don't normally bid on Strats, so don't have a search set up for them....but I would have on yours.

So your competition could have been much worse. This is another seller who plays the game of Hide The Fedora. ;)

Well, I'm not opposed to competition, Bob, but less of that means a better chance for me to win the hat. ;) :D This particular hat has survived and survived very well. I'm looking very forward to adopting it into my hat family.

BobC

handlebar bart said:
Wow Bob, let me chime in with the other guys. Wonderful Strat. Its going to a good home:eusa_clap

Thanks, Bart. I am big time psyched about this one. Every time I think of it I want to do a jig...and that ain't a pretty thought. :eusa_doh: :D

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
I just won this auction. Hat-wise, nothing real special. But two of the hats have hometown and family connections.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=220370982288

The first hat is from Meyers, an old clothing store in my hometown. The third hat is from J.C. Petersen's, an old haberdashery that was owned by my great great-grandfather.
I had to win this auction because of this.

The Meyers building is the one on the left with the turret:
MeyersbuildingBooneIA.jpg

Unfortunately, the Meyers building was damaged last month when the building next to it burned down. The Meyers building (once owned by my great-grandpa) is going to have to be torn down. :(

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
feltfan said:
I'm ashamed that I forgot to bid on this steal.
Hope someone here got it so we can see what it
turns out to be. Looks like a 40s Stetson 3X with
a kettle curl brim, in black. Never seen that before!
Nice big 3/8, too.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-3-X-Stetson-hat-Beaver-quality_W0QQitemZ230329149692

Yes. But there's no telling. I was the second highest bidder trying to steal it at $42.99, but for all I know the winner bid a hundred bucks or more for it. I suspect if I'd have bid $62.99 I still wouldn't have won it, only made the win more painful for the guy who wanted it the most. ;)

I was in the market for a black hat and before the Stetson stumbled upon this just-listed Barbisio for a 40-dollar Buy-it-now and jumped at it impulsively. Don't know how it will turn out, but if it's the quality of my vintage Borsalinos, I'll be a happy camper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140305708347

357569338.jpg

357569353.jpg

Bob Smalser

One of the Regulars
carter said:
Bob, Thanks for the heads-up.

I gave packing instructions, asked the seller to ship as soon as possible, and requested the name of the shipper as well as tracking information. I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one.

Well, the Borsalino Traveler finally arrived today.

I paid on Feb 8th....the seller didn't ship until Feb 18th....it left Italy on Feb 21st.....and it didn't arrive until March 9th.

It was listed as 22.6" inside diameter, yet it's a vintage hat, Size 7/57/5 and nowhere near that large. Fortunately it has a grosgrain sweatband, so I can soak and stretch it with less risk than leather. The good news it's a much older hat than I thought with excellent felt. And the seller packed a necktie along with it as a gift.

D19430a.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Barbisio

I was in the market for a black hat and before the Stetson stumbled upon this just-listed Barbisio for a 40-dollar Buy-it-now and jumped at it impulsively. Don't know how it will turn out, but if it's the quality of my vintage Borsalinos, I'll be a happy camper.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=140305708347

357569338.jpg

Hi,
I was the seller of this Barbisio. It is an oddball hat. The Size tag says made in USA(mentioned in subtitle and description) and it is a felt consistency that I have not encountered and is unlike the Barbisio or Borsalinos I have. I didn't realize that was a possibility until I received the hat about 8 days ago. It isn't up to Italian standards(vintage anyway). It looked really silly on me also. Others may have a different experience.

bolthead

Get A Load Of This One.....

This was an interesting Straw.

I'm doubting anyone here grabbed it though.....[huh]

How 'bout this nice looking Cocoa Biltmore Panama? I almost pulled the trigger on this one. Now seeing that it went untouched, I'm sorry I didn't......

How does that go, "He who hesitates is lost". How true. :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwrg