Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this fedora look too tall on me?

portolan

A-List Customer
This is a JohnnyPhi Adam Executive hat I recently won. Today is the first day I have tried it on. I have never worn a fedora, so I am not used to it. You all look so good in your fedoras, I don't think I do. Not looking for compliments, but straight feedback -- do you think I can pull off a hat like this? Shouldn't the crown be a bit lower? The hat itself is very nice. I like it a lot and my wife likes it, just don't know if it looks ok on me. I would like to get a couple of fedoras, if you all think they work, other wise I will stick with my westerns. Do I need a lower crown? Thanks for your advice and guidance. Phil

Fedora5.jpg

Fedora3.jpg

Fedora2.jpg

Fedora.jpg

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
The crown looks great on you, but if it were me I would flip up the back of the brim and see how you like it. But the crown height looks great, as does the color.:eusa_clap

KatintheHat

Suspended
Looks like a million bucks, and then some.

I too would flip the back up.

That hat is one beautiful example of what all fedora's should look like. :cool:

toobacat

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't go any lower on the crown, I think it's just right for you. I agree with trying the brim up in the back.

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
The hat looks really good on you, and matches very well with suit you're wearing. I think since fedoras aren't as common a style as westerns we feel a little strange when we first start wearing them, and you kinda have to find the style you feel comfortable in. I started off with a DM Adventurer and still can't bring myself to wear it out in public too often. I have no problem wearing stingy brim fedoras or porkpies anywhere. But again that hat looks great on you. :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
You're goin' at it the same way I did, portolan: Westerns first, then eventually fedoras too. Mistake I made, though (foolish youth) was goin' with low crowned fedoras at the beginning because I too couldn't quite adjust to that boxier crown. Now, I can't understand how I could wear those low, tapered crowned fedoras.

Try this: (In addition to giving the snapped up back of brim a go) Use your finger to push down the center dent in front and drag it forward a little. If necessary, soften the felt with some steam or water first so it will cooperate and take the 'set'. This should lower that crease a fraction (slightly more like the cattleman's crease you're used to seeing) and flare the profile of the hat to more vertical uprights. It will likely tighten the pinch at the front and lengthen the side dents forward some. Your hat has some slack there to work with.

It's remarkable how a matter of degrees makes all the difference with fedoras. You've got a real nice example there. Wish I'd had as much sense with my first one! :)

By example, here's how one of my Open Road clones looked when I bought it:
158263242_o.jpg

And here's the effect of the crease I mean (which you are close to already):
DSC_0006.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
The height and proportions look great (I actually kind of like the downturn and would keep it - it's hard to find a downturn snap that looks good), and you seriously look great in it.

What I would reccommend though is going for a tighter or larger front pinch. You've got alot of crown there to work with, and it seems like sort of a waste to have such a small bash!

Dewhurst

Practically Family
portolan, when I got my first full sized fedora I also thought that it looked gigantic on me. After a portion of time went by, they look so "regular" now. Perhaps you will get used to them with time as your "inner eye" adjusts.

As to the actual proportions of your hat, remember that no opinion is actually correct. But, since you have solicited one. I think the dimensions are very good, indeed. The crown has a wonderful full shape to it. Unlike a few others, I think the downturn you have in the brim looks really sharp. But, you still may wish to flirt with it snapped up in the back, to see which you like better. Down looks really great though, on that hat with your head.

I really like the pinch just the way it is. It has that casual loose medium that goes well with the way you are wearing it in those pictures.

The angularity of the profile is very striking. I like the bound edge, and the brim length looks comfortable on you. I notice you carry the hat fairly low on your forehead, and that looks quite good. Maybe flirt with different seating positions to see what you like the best.

Well, it looks great just the way it is. You will most probably adjust to what it looks like given a little time.

I say its a keeper.

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Portolan, I have to agree with the others here. That had honestly does look good on you. I think its only natural to feel a bit of hesitancy and question whether or not it really looks good; you're not used to it yet. The crown height and brim width proportions go well with your face shape, so definitely keep the hat. I bet it will grow on you and you will feel more comfortable with it in time.

cookie

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
The crown looks great on you, but if it were me I would flip up the back of the brim and see how you like it. But the crown height looks great, as does the color.:eusa_clap

I agree... and tilt it a bit to a rakish angle!:D

MattJH

One Too Many
As others have said, you're just not used to it. That is exactly how it's supposed to look, honestly.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My vote goes along with most of the rest here, Portolan. I think the hat looks great on you and that you are probably used to the western look rather than the look of a nice fedora. I too would recommend trying the back brim snapped up, but I don't think it looks bad down at all.

I took me a while to get used to the tall, straight crowns, but now I like them much better than the tapered crowns.

I'm just the opposite of you. I'm used to wearing fedoras but not westerns. I've recently purchased a Resistol and a couple of Open Roads with cattleman creases, and I'm getting used to the fact that they sit higher on my head just due to the nature of the crease.

Keep wearing it. You look good.

bendingoak

Vendor
I agree with most here. Snapping up the back of the brim will work wonders. It will cut down on how tall the crown looks, the look of the brim and improve the oval all look of the hat. I think it's a winner for you.

Justdog

Practically Family
Looking good

portolan said:
This is a JohnnyPhi Adam Executive hat I recently won. Today is the first day I have tried it on. I have never worn a fedora, so I am not used to it. You all look so good in your fedoras, I don't think I do. Not looking for compliments, but straight feedback -- do you think I can pull off a hat like this? Shouldn't the crown be a bit lower? The hat itself is very nice. I like it a lot and my wife likes it, just don't know if it looks ok on me. I would like to get a couple of fedoras, if you all think they work, other wise I will stick with my westerns. Do I need a lower crown? Thanks for your advice and guidance. Phil

No worries! You look superb in that fedora. It is a generous hat and I have a nickle colored one that is nice and generous like that. It suits your face and head shape, is an excellent color. Very nice indeed don't hesitate to feel confident that you look good. Great crown. Nice profile as well.:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe