Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Does this fedora look too tall on me?

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
I like that hat on you, and even though I wear mine with the back brim up, I like that look you have going with it down in back.

Gene, thanks for the tip on bringing the front crease down a smidge. I think as I work with my new Resistol Open Road clone I'll try that.

My wife thinks the OR style looks too "cowboy" on me, even with the fedora crease. I wonder if it's the crown height, thin ribbon or Silverbelly color that throws her. She prefers my Akubra Stylemaster, and claims it looks more like something a city dweller would wear.

MattJH

One Too Many
TopGumby said:
My wife thinks the OR style looks too "cowboy" on me, even with the fedora crease. I wonder if it's the crown height, thin ribbon or Silverbelly color that throws her.

Probably a combination of all three. They are three qualities in hats that I avoid, just because I have zero western anything in me and wearing one would never look good or natural on me. I tried on a hat with a cattleman's crease once and it was seriously laughable, not because I didn't like it, but because it conflicted with everything about me. It's the same for me with leather jackets or boots of any kind.

Akubra Man

One of the Regulars
I read a general consensus here ... this hat looks good on you and the back of the brim should really be turned up ... It does take a bit to go from the wider western to the smaller brimmed fedora. I have a collection of Akubras with brim widths that measure from between 4 inches and 2 3/4th inches and the first times I wore the smaller brim styles it felt strange ... but I like it now. That is a great hat and I think that bound edge adds a touch of class. Also, I like the crown just the height you have it.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
cookie said:
I agree... and tilt it a bit to a rakish angle!:D
Exactly......:eusa_clap
portolan, it does look great on you as is, try it snapped up in the back to see how it looks, it's going to look totally different. If you don't like it that way, you can always wear it the way it is now, no problemo. ;)

I know how you feel about the tall crowns, I'm the same way.....I still can't get used to myself wearing them. I do have a few, and when I do wear them....everybody here tells me how great it looks, even though I think I look odd in it. I guess it just takes getting used to, but you shouldn't have a problem. I think you have an advantage because you wear westerns. [huh]

carter

I'll Lock Up
Portolan, That Adam looks very good on you. You might try the crease a tad lower in front and the back. What shape is the crown in (center dent, c-crown, diamond)? You might want to modify this. I agree with turning the back brim up. Down it resembles an Irish walking hat, which isn't bad, but up is a more classic look.

Please post any before and after pictures.

just_me

Practically Family
cookie said:
I agree... and tilt it a bit to a rakish angle!:D
portolan, it looks very good on you, but I'd also suggest putting the back up and definitely trying it at a rakish angle. :D

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Having sported some very ludicrous looks, and not really ever getting much chaff over it, my advice is to simply put it on and wear it. Don't stand in front of the mirror, don't ask a friend how it looks. It shows when someone is primping a look, it makes it seem more forced. The more effortless it is, the better it comes out. Besides, when fedoras were worn, I'm fairly sure it was just a pull it off the coat rack and pull on your jacket affair.

(Of course, once you're comfortable...primp away!)

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Just like every one else has written, the hat is fabulous and looks real good on you. I guess you're uncertain because you're obviously used to those very large and relatively heavy western hats. In comparison, fedora's are very light and feel exactly like that. This hat has a nice, generous crown. Fedora's, in my view, need that. The brim is, of course, much smaller than on the western hat. That's how they are.
No qualms, Portolan. Wear it. Get used to it.
What kind of feedback to you get in Chihuahua, I mean if you have any contact with the locals, the barber, the banker, the .... whatever?

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi Portolan,

I agree with everyone else about the hat being suitable for you, and in flipping up the brim at the rear. It is probably a question of getting used to it. In my own time, I had to get used to both the larger crowns and the wider brims; you, coming from Western style hats, will have no problem with the second issue...;)

This said, you need to feel comfortable. If you can't, you could change the crease to one allowing for some "telescoping", like a c-crown, or a diamond, with a dome; this will take off some height, and if this is going to make you happier, by all means go for it.

Regards!

Ultimately the advice would be to stick with it. It's always hard to radically change how you look; so much of our self worth is caught up in how we project ourselves to others, that such a radical change (and it is a radical change) can be jarring.

There are some people who really do just not suit fedoras. But i don't believe you fall into that category. You appear to have relatively normal dimensions re: length and width of face, and a strong chin. "Odd" (as compared to "normal", whatever that might mean) dimensions are generally what make people not suit hats.

That isn't a particularly high crowned hat (probably about 4.5" or so maximum height?). Your difficulty with a fedora would probably come from going with any less height. Without a wide brim to compensate (such as you find on western hats, where it is safe to go much shorter in the crown because the brim is so wide), it is important to get the right height of crown for a fedora so that the hat looks proportional. The reason that many (i argue most) people look really bad in the Indiana Jones fedora is because of its very strange dimensions. With its tall crown and asymmetric brim, unless the wearer has close to the physical characteristics of Harrison Ford, it doesn't look right. Short people tend to look positively ridiculous in this hat, like Clyde from the Ant Hill Mob:

ClydeWackyRacersLARGE.jpg

bk

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I can't add anything to the discussion regarding the styling except to say that I think it looks great, is not too tall, and needs the back flipped up.

I can comment on the comfort level since I too have only worn westerns my entire life until just the last few years. It does take getting used to, more from a personal comfort/confidence factor with the look, rather like any other change we make to our perception of our appearance. Someone else commented about the crown height vs. the brim width, which I found to be true when I began to wear fedoras. I was somewhat uncomfortable with that too, but since I had been wearing Open Roads in the classic western business style for some years, it was not as big a shock to look in the mirror as it would have been if I had stayed with the 3 1/2 to 4 inch brim widths. When I made that change to the ORs, one of my friends began calling my ORs "derbys" because of the drastic change he noted! I like my fedoras and am very glad I took the plunge to add that look to my persona. If nothing else, it keeps everyone around us guessing as to what we might change next!!!

You look great; keep 'em guessing! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

portolan

A-List Customer
Thanks to all for the great advice.....Last night

I wore the fedora while flying to San Diego from Tampa. No exaggeration, I got six compliments from people....flight attendants to teenage girls. Three sisters, all about 12 - 15 were wearing fedoras....I was a big hit with them. I have rarely if ever had a compliment on a hat except from my friends in Mexico, where hats are an important part of importance!

My impressions and thoughts after wearing it across country:

1. Terrified of crushing it in the overheads. I either wore it -- and couldn't lean back in the seat or put it on my lap as I flew.

2. It didn't keep its shape. I found myself constantly adjusting the brim....Kind of fun. I have to learn how to effectively shape and position brim and crown. I don't have that issue with my westerns. They stay where they are. This Adam is very soft and loses its shape if I look at it crookedly.

3. After two years of constant flying to San Diego, the first and only time it rained on arrival was the night I wear a new old fedora for the first time. I was paranoid about getting it wet, but there was nothing I could do about it. This morning it seems no worse for wear.

4. Most of the compliments were from members of the female persuasion. So is a hat a babe magnet??????? Don't tell the lovely Mrs. Stover I asked that!!!

5. I can't wait to see the Adam with my new Wested Indy Jones jacket. Should be a great combination. It is a brownish black or blackish brown washed goat skin. Wested did a great job on the custom fit.....I know, this isn't an outwear forum...Sorry.....

6. I need a hat care kit and hat box for flying. That would solve the hat problem. I wonder if I can buy one box that could be used for westerns and fedoras? Of course that is another carry on.....Maybe I will just keep it on my lap.

7. What era are these Adam Executives from? Forties or fifties?

8. I think I would prefer a little lower crown on a hat, but I will wear it and see how I get used to it.

9. Gee, I am now a certified babe magnet.....Hmmm....

Thanks again for all the help. I flipped up the back brim, but can't see it, so I don't have strong opinions on that, so I took your collective advice on that. Thanks again for your collective input.

Bird's One View

One of the Regulars
While I like the look of a fedora with the back of the brim turned up, I usually wear mine down for greater sun protection in back. I do try to turn them up at night but I often forget.

RBH

Bartender
See... we all told you you looked great in it!!!!

As to the tall crown, try a diamond crease. A diamond usally brings the crown down a little, also as was suggested, try a tighter pinch.
Be sure to show us if you adjust it any!!!!

rrog

A-List Customer
Baron Kurtz said:
The reason that many (i argue most) people look really bad in the Indiana Jones fedora is because of its very strange dimensions. With its tall crown and asymmetric brim, unless the wearer has close to the physical characteristics of Harrison Ford, it doesn't look right.

I wish you'd have told me that before I ordered the Fed IV. I'm not short but I definitely don't have Harrison Ford's face! :eusa_doh:

The hat does indeed look good, portolan. I'd be curious to see what the back brim looks like up, but until then, I'm with the looks-better-down crowd.

rrog

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe