Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

First time buying fedora and introducing myself

It does, yes. View attachment 634989

Not so obvious from this angle (I don't have better shots to hand), but you can sort of see it.

Interesting, - I wonder if there were different batches that varied that way? Do Akubra make all their stuff in the one factory still, or did they ever outsource a production run? That could explain it (though I think I read somewhere they only use the one Aussie factory).

I guess I just have magic fingers, LOL.

Aleksio

New in Town
It does, yes. View attachment 634989

Not so obvious from this angle (I don't have better shots to hand), but you can sort of see it.

Interesting, - I wonder if there were different batches that varied that way? Do Akubra make all their stuff in the one factory still, or did they ever outsource a production run? That could explain it (though I think I read somewhere they only use the one Aussie factory).
Nice colour, French navy if I recall correct? Good-looking hat, love the thick ribbon. Do you maybe know what's the thickness of it? Will definitely be on a bucket list after the Akubra CD.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Nice colour, French navy if I recall correct? Good-looking hat, love the thick ribbon. Do you maybe know what's the thickness of it? Will definitely be on a bucket list after the Akubra CD.

Mine is the regular navy - French Navy is a shade or two lighter. I'd say Fench Navy is about the exact midpoint between royal blue and navy. Side by side, it's something akin to comparing a russet brown with those warm, red undertones to a slightly darker chocolate brown. I'm very tempted by the French Navy, but it's not 'different enough' to e as much a priority as others. I do have my eye very much on the russet and the green next - *probably* the russet first, then the green.... it's a nice, olive green that would look just divine with tweeds. The ribbon on these is 1 3/4" deep.

Photos below gives a good, visual idea of the difference between the Hat Centre hat and the Akubra Federation. I love both, and both have their qualities. Different rather than either being 'better', per se, though I would love to see the Federation with the more flamboyant ribbon treatment that the HatCentre model has, and the wind trolley. The only real aspect of the HC I can pick out as a negative is that the crown is fractionally more tapered than that on the Fed, though as you can see below when it's bashed you really would have to look hard to notice any significant taper.

20231107_100048.jpg
20231107_100114.jpg
20231107_100133.jpg
20231107_100239.jpg
20231107_100252.jpg

Aleksio

New in Town
Mine is the regular navy - French Navy is a shade or two lighter. I'd say Fench Navy is about the exact midpoint between royal blue and navy. Side by side, it's something akin to comparing a russet brown with those warm, red undertones to a slightly darker chocolate brown. I'm very tempted by the French Navy, but it's not 'different enough' to e as much a priority as others. I do have my eye very much on the russet and the green next - *probably* the russet first, then the green.... it's a nice, olive green that would look just divine with tweeds. The ribbon on these is 1 3/4" deep.

Photos below gives a good, visual idea of the difference between the Hat Centre hat and the Akubra Federation. I love both, and both have their qualities. Different rather than either being 'better', per se, though I would love to see the Federation with the more flamboyant ribbon treatment that the HatCentre model has, and the wind trolley. The only real aspect of the HC I can pick out as a negative is that the crown is fractionally more tapered than that on the Fed, though as you can see below when it's bashed you really would have to look hard to notice any significant taper.

View attachment 635382 View attachment 635383 View attachment 635384 View attachment 635385 View attachment 635386
It looks fabulous once again, very sharp looking. What bash do you used on the photo?

Edward

Bartender
It looks fabulous once again, very sharp looking. What bash do you used on the photo?

Beyond the pinch you can see on the front, it's just a simple centre-dent up top. The furfelt is noticeably thicker than that of the (very sturdy) Akubra. It's also softer; whereas my Akubras all required steaming, this one I bashed completely dry. not to imply one is better than the other - just a different experience.

Aleksio

New in Town
Beyond the pinch you can see on the front, it's just a simple centre-dent up top. The furfelt is noticeably thicker than that of the (very sturdy) Akubra. It's also softer; whereas my Akubras all required steaming, this one I bashed completely dry. not to imply one is better than the other - just a different experience.
OK, I see now, but why are there some centre dent crown so tapered on the front like almost going in cone/pyramid shape on top and the others are much more squarish like yours for example? What's the sizing, I have 60,5cm head circumference, should I take 61?

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
OK, I see now, but why are there some centre dent crown so tapered on the front like almost going in cone/pyramid shape on top and the others are much more squarish like yours for example? What's the sizing, I have 60,5cm head circumference, should I take 61?

DIfferent hat blocks. Since most hats are sold these days with blocked in creases, it kinda gets lost that older open crown hats had varying degrees of taper and variations on the roundness/flatness of the top of the crown, which was determined by the individual block. Common examples include #51, which has some slight taper and relatively rounder top, and the #52. which is fairly straight sided and relatively flatter on the dome.

Via Hatter's Supply house:
crown-contour-profile-handout.jpg

Edward

Bartender

@jlee562 has already answered this very well above, but... yeah. Different shapes per different manufacturers, plus different shapes going in and out of fashion over the decades - wider or narrower brims, more tapered or straighter crowns, all the rest of it.

In terms of sizing, I've never known a production hat to sell in half sizes. Your best bet as a rule of thumb would I think be to go for a 61 and add in a little padding behind the sweatband if needed to snug it up. Always worth checking with the company you're buying from, though, as they will be able to advise whether certain brands come up a bit snug anyhow, or sometimes they might have some to hand that have varied and are maybe a half a size smaller than labelled, that sort of thing.

Have you had your head measured for shape? Shape is every bit as important as is size in getting a hat to fit comfortably.

Aleksio

New in Town
Have you had your head measured for shape? Shape is every bit as important as is size in getting a hat to fit comfortably.
No, I didn't. I am aware that the shape of the head can be round oval, regular oval and oblong oval, but what would be the best way to determine the shape and, as far as I know, do not all hats today have a regular oval shape?

No, I didn't. I am aware that the shape of the head can be round oval, regular oval and oblong oval, but what would be the best way to determine the shape and, as far as I know, do not all hats today have a regular oval shape?
Most manufacturers block to a regular oval. In my experience, based on my customers, about 45% of men are Long oval. I have yet to encounter a true round and only made hats for 3 extra long ovals. The best way is for a hatter to use a conformateur to determine your shape. My $10 equivalent is to buy a Flex Curve (Amazon or Ebay)...If you are over a 7 3/8" buy a 36" one. Get a friend to wrap the Flex Curve around your head where the hat would sit. Make sure they get it tight to the head, no gaps. Attach a clip as in the picture. Send me a note with the tracing and I will tell you where you sit in terms of shape.
flex curve 3.jpg
flex curve 2.jpg
flex curve1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1