Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Doctor Who," He's Back and it's About Time!

Starius

Practically Family
So, am I the only person who liked catherine tate's character? You know she isn't going to stay the same as she was in the christmas special, that was a life changing experience. She'll be able to stand toe to toe with the doctor's personality AND not fall in love with him too. So you have to admire that.

Also, Martha will be back for around 25% of the season. (The final 25%, from what I'm hearing. In fact, quite a few people will be back if the rumors are true....) Plus, Martha will be in 3 episodes of Torchwood season 2. So her presence will definitely still be around.

Of course, there have been both good and bad episodes in the new series but this is nothing new... the classic series is littered with bad episodes amongst the good. Initially, the inconsistency of the new series bothered me until I realized that this same inconsistency has been around in Doctor Who ever since the beginning. So really, I think they're doing that for us classic fans!

dandelion-vint

One of the Regulars
I like Catherine Tate and I look forward to seeing her in some of the episodes.

I really liked Martha though and I don't like that she's leaving. I wish they hadn't had her fall for the Doctor though. She's smart, they got on well, why spoil it by making her fall in love with him? I was very glad to see Rose go, I was really tired of her.

Starius

Practically Family
dandelion-vint said:
I like Catherine Tate and I look forward to seeing her in some of the episodes.

I really liked Martha though and I don't like that she's leaving. I wish they hadn't had her fall for the Doctor though. She's smart, they got on well, why spoil it by making her fall in love with him? I was very glad to see Rose go, I was really tired of her.

I don't know if I should say this. I don't want to spoil anything (especially something I haven't even seen yet) but if the rumors are true, we will see Rose again at least once in the next season. And a few other faces from the past.

I will admit that I am currently actually enjoying Billie Piper's new series "Secret Diaries of a Call Girl." Maybe I shouldn't have admitted that. Oh well, I did. :)

Starius

Practically Family
cin_crash.jpg

The BBC has confirmed that Fifth Doctor Peter Davison will reprise his role along side current Doctor David Tennant in the forthcoming Children in Need sketch. The scene, entitled Time Crash, was written by award winning Doctor Who writer Steven Moffatt, and will transmit as part of the Children in Need fundraising evening on Friday 16 November 2007.

"It is an honour for me to be able to make the connection between the Fifth Doctor and the Tenth Doctor," noted Peter Davison. "However, now is not the time for sound-bites. I can feel the hand of history on my shoulder, even if I can't do the buttons up!"

SNN2223H_280_376182a.jpg

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Eliza said:
I have a lot of old Dr Who episodes on VHS - used to belong to a Dr Who fan club.... yes, I'm a geek. lol

Me too. I have about 70 tapes. All the way up to the 6th Dr who dress like a clown and who I didn't like so I quit taping. The guy with the scarf was my favorite, Tom Baker. I like the robot dog K-9.
Bob.

Starius

Practically Family
cooncatbob said:
Me too. I have about 70 tapes. All the way up to the 6th Dr who dress like a clown and who I didn't like so I quit taping. The guy with the scarf was my favorite, Tom Baker. I like the robot dog K-9.
Bob.

Colin Baker dressed like the clown. He got screwed over by writers and producers. Its a real shame, cause hes a terribly nice person actually.

I still watch classic Doctor Who on IPTV every saturday night. I wish I still had some of the tapes I made when I was younger though, because they havent aired any William Hartnell, Patrick Troughton, or Jon Pertwee episodes since the mid - late 90s here.

Edward

Bartender
Starius, I may be wrong, but I think that you can buy those all on DVD now - try bbc.co.uk, and probably amazon.co.uk for starters. You might need a region 2 player, though - I gather from Anglophile friends in the US that it's very difficult and often impossible to find Region 1 releases for old British TV shows.

Watched the Davidson / Tennant crossover on the web the other day. Hilarious. Especially loved the line about the Master -

"Did he still have that silly little beard?"

"No, no beard, well - he did have a wife."

lol

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Edward said:
Starius, I may be wrong, but I think that you can buy those all on DVD now - try bbc.co.uk, and probably amazon.co.uk for starters. You might need a region 2 player, though - I gather from Anglophile friends in the US that it's very difficult and often impossible to find Region 1 releases for old British TV shows.

Watched the Davidson / Tennant crossover on the web the other day. Hilarious. Especially loved the line about the Master -

lol

I live very sheltered life, I didn't realise it was an oblique gay joke. :)

Edward

Bartender
Kt Templar said:
I live very sheltered life, I didn't realise it was an oblique gay joke. :)

I can't remember where I picked up the term..... I may be wrong, but i think it originated within the NYC gay community?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:

lol

Bwah! Gotta be Davies' influence there. I can't wait to see this one. I'm woefully behind on my Who viewing.

Found this interesting article--Kylie must be tiny if these photos are any indictation (love the boots!).

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/tv_and_radio/article3041389.ece

who4_254047a.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for posting the link to article. Wish we could see it here in the States on Christmas Day!

I had to do an Internet search to figure out who Kylie is, as I'm not familiar with her. I wonder how many other famous guest stars Doctor Who has had that I didn't realize were famous?

Brad

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Brad Bowers said:
Thanks for posting the link to article. Wish we could see it here in the States on Christmas Day!

I had to do an Internet search to figure out who Kylie is, as I'm not familiar with her. I wonder how many other famous guest stars Doctor Who has had that I didn't realize were famous?

Brad

Oh, I know--BBCAmerica and SciFi Channel are good for nothing!

Kylie's one of those celebrities where I know her name and that she's a singer, but I couldn't name anything she sings.

Starius

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
Oh, I know--BBCAmerica and SciFi Channel are good for nothing!

Kylie's one of those celebrities where I know her name and that she's a singer, but I couldn't name anything she sings.

Kylie has had some success here in the US in the past, with some singles.

Here are two some of you may have heard before:

Can't Get You Out Of My Head
Love At First Sight

As for me.... I WILL be watching it on Christmas day, here in the US.
I fully admit it. I harness the awesome powers of the Interweb for my Doctor Who fix, and woe to those who stand in my way!

Here is a Voyage of the Damned trailer to wet your appetites.

dorward

New in Town
Edward said:
Starius, I may be wrong, but I think that you can buy those all on DVD now - try bbc.co.uk, and probably amazon.co.uk for starters. You might need a region 2 player, though - I gather from Anglophile friends in the US that it's very difficult and often impossible to find Region 1 releases for old British TV shows

The classic episodes are being released slowly and out of order, so you can pick up quite a few stories, but not yet all of them (and there are some older episodes which are lost because the tapes where wiped).

The region one releases tend to lag a little way behind the region two versions, but they do exist (the exception is The Key To Time box set, which was released in R1 several years ago but is only just becoming available in R2).

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Starius said:
Kylie has had some success here in the US in the past, with some singles.

Here are two some of you may have heard before:

Can't Get You Out Of My Head
Love At First Sight

As for me.... I WILL be watching it on Christmas day, here in the US.
I fully admit it. I harness the awesome powers of the Interweb for my Doctor Who fix, and woe to those who stand in my way!

Here is a Voyage of the Damned trailer to wet your appetites.

Thanks for those links Starius--does it mark me as hopelessly out of the loop that I've not heard either of them before? Yep, thought so.

This is off topic but I think she looks awful in both of those videos (the clothes, particularly, are pretty unflattering) but she's quite pretty in the Who promo pictures.

I've considered harnessing the power of the Interweb myself--I may have to look into that;)

Josephine

One Too Many
Starius said:
As for me.... I WILL be watching it on Christmas day, here in the US. I fully admit it. I harness the awesome powers of the Interweb for my Doctor Who fix, and woe to those who stand in my way!

Dude, I'll just get it when it falls off the Intraweb truck when it drives by my house. Lotta bumps on my road... :)

Starius

Practically Family
Just watched Voyage of the Damned. I liked it quite a bit. Having been invaded by aliens in the previous two Christmases now, Londoners have a interesting reaction to the holiday this year...

This special definitely had more of a cinematic feel than the previous ones.

A few nit picky things I could get into, but not worth it really.

Of personal interest was the new season preview at the end of the episode... the discerning eye may catch a Sontaran or two in the clips...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe