Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Doctor Who," He's Back and it's About Time!

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
imoldfashioned said:
I agree Daisy, he's got so much energy and I like it that he plays The Doctor as being pretty close to the edge of madness at times. Watching the shows I also believe Tennant's Doctor has a long past, which I haven't really felt with some of the other actors who've played the role. I think Tennant's quite a gifted actor.

Yes, edge of madness is the perfect way to describe him!! Very well said!!
I actually fell in love with him a few years ago in "Bright Young Things". He played the role of Ginger so incredibly well. He didn't just come across as an actor who was pretending to be a character, to me he was really Ginger. This is what he does in Dr. Who. I don't see him as David Tennant in another role, I see him as Dr. Who, if that makes any sense whatsoever!! Maybe it's me on the edge of madness. Funny thing is, in "Bright Young Things" the character of Ginger is rich, garish, and not in the slightest bit good looking. But I find him quite handsome as Dr. Who. Maybe it's because in real life he is a good looking guy and he just plays roles so well that he is able to even change his handsome self into an ugly character. Or it might just be that I find the Dr. Who episodes to be thrilling and exciting which makes me think Dr. Who is a hottie!!! Hem has told me that there is a slight off handed reference to the character of Ginger in one of the Dr. Who episodes. I think that is fun when actors are able to do things like that. Either way, Dr. Who is becoming a favorite of mine, and "Bright Young Things" will always be a favorite movie of mine!!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I must say, as good as Blink was is as bad as these last three are with the last episode, which I think is called, "The Last of the Time Lords" maybe the silliest thing I have ever seen. If someone were tuning into Doctor Who now, I would ask them to wait.

It seems the most flamboyent tendencies of the production team went into these episodes giving them an over the top sensibility.

Starius

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
The Greatest Show in the Galaxy--yeah, I wonder what those two got up to?

Ghostlight is in my top three for the whole series. That was the only episode that writer did for the TV series wasn't it? Pity, it was quite strong. I've got that one on VHS; it'd be worth my while to upgrade if the DVD is still available.

You know, you're right. That was the only episode of the classic series he wrote... however, he wrote quite a few of the Doctor Who Big Finish audio dramas and one of them in particular "Spare Parts" was the basis for the new series episodes "Rise of the Cybermen" & "The Age of Steel."

I think I have seen DVDs of Ghost Light on ebay though, I might get one myself sometime.

Man, its so cool to talk with other Who fans, haha.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Daisy Buchanan said:
Yes, edge of madness is the perfect way to describe him!! Very well said!!
I actually fell in love with him a few years ago in "Bright Young Things". He played the role of Ginger so incredibly well. He didn't just come across as an actor who was pretending to be a character, to me he was really Ginger. This is what he does in Dr. Who. I don't see him as David Tennant in another role, I see him as Dr. Who, if that makes any sense whatsoever!! Maybe it's me on the edge of madness. Funny thing is, in "Bright Young Things" the character of Ginger is rich, garish, and not in the slightest bit good looking. But I find him quite handsome as Dr. Who. Maybe it's because in real life he is a good looking guy and he just plays roles so well that he is able to even change his handsome self into an ugly character. Or it might just be that I find the Dr. Who episodes to be thrilling and exciting which makes me think Dr. Who is a hottie!!! Hem has told me that there is a slight off handed reference to the character of Ginger in one of the Dr. Who episodes. I think that is fun when actors are able to do things like that. Either way, Dr. Who is becoming a favorite of mine, and "Bright Young Things" will always be a favorite movie of mine!!

Oh I love Bright Young Things--he's great in it too. Does Hemingway remember where that reference was? I'd be interested to know. I'm ashamed to admit it but I tracked down a cheezy British TV movie he did -- real Lifetime fodder -- called Secret Smile (the whole thing is on YouTube if you're interested). He plays this complete psychopath and he's fantastic although the material is decidedly second rate. Fun to see him as a villian. I seriously want to see him on stage next year; I'm getting to the UK come hell or high water.

I know what you mean about finding him really attractive/sexy--I have a complete crush on him (what can I say, geeky guys have always done it for me). He's not bad on the eyes (particularly when he's wearing glasses;) ) but I really think it's his personality that makes him so attractive. One of the things I love about British TV is that they use actors who would probably never get cast in the US--people with quirky or even just average looks.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hemingway Jones said:
I must say, as good as Blink was is as bad as these last three are with the last episode, which I think is called, "The Last of the Time Lords" maybe the silliest thing I have ever seen. If someone were tuning into Doctor Who now, I would ask them to wait.

It seems the most flamboyent tendencies of the production team went into these episodes giving them an over the top sensibility.

Eek! Thanks for the warning Hemingway, I'll brace myself!

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Starius said:
You know, you're right. That was the only episode of the classic series he wrote... however, he wrote quite a few of the Doctor Who Big Finish audio dramas and one of them in particular "Spare Parts" was the basis for the new series episodes "Rise of the Cybermen" & "The Age of Steel."

I think I have seen DVDs of Ghost Light on ebay though, I might get one myself sometime.

Man, its so cool to talk with other Who fans, haha.

Those Big Finish drama are something else I need to investigate--any experience with them? Any that are particularly good (or bad)?

I love chatting with all you guys too--I've gotten some pretty interesting looks from non-fans when I've outed myself as a Whovian.

Starius

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
Those Big Finish drama are something else I need to investigate--any experience with them? Any that are particularly good (or bad)?

I love chatting with all you guys too--I've gotten some pretty interesting looks from non-fans when I've outed myself as a Whovian.

I don't think I could speak highly enough of the Big Finish audio dramas. The storytelling is top notch and, for awhile at least, the BBC considered them all official Doctor Who continuity. That may have changed with the new Doctor Who series coming on the air, particularly since a few new series episodes have borrowed from the Big Finish stories. The episode "Dalek" from 2005 was also based on a Big Finish story, for example.

Personally, my favorites are the Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann stories, but they are all well done. Even Colin Baker stories... Poor Colin, he got the shaft with some of the worst classic tv series episodes ever but he gets to shine more with the Big Finish plays. If only they had these kinds of stories in the late 80s, the series would never have been canceled.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Starius said:
I don't think I could speak highly enough of the Big Finish audio dramas. The storytelling is top notch and, for awhile at least, the BBC considered them all official Doctor Who continuity. That may have changed with the new Doctor Who series coming on the air, particularly since a few new series episodes have borrowed from the Big Finish stories. The episode "Dalek" from 2005 was also based on a Big Finish story, for example.

Personally, my favorites are the Sylvester McCoy and Paul McGann stories, but they are all well done. Even Colin Baker stories... Poor Colin, he got the shaft with some of the worst classic tv series episodes ever but he gets to shine more with the Big Finish plays. If only they had these kinds of stories in the late 80s, the series would never have been canceled.

Poor, poor Colin! Bad stories, bad costume, bad 80's hair (and, hey, I know--I had that perm in the 80's too; I'm still recovering). I'm glad to hear he gets at least a little compensation on the radio. I'm really intrigued--especially by the McCoy pieces. Thanks for your recommendations and your PM.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
Be afraid everyone.. the Doctor gets a new sidekick in the next series, it's not out over here yet, but I'm scared already.
Did you see the Xmas special with the bride? Well it's her as the new sidekick :(

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
TheKitschGoth said:
Be afraid everyone.. the Doctor gets a new sidekick in the next series, it's not out over here yet, but I'm scared already.
Did you see the Xmas special with the bride? Well it's her as the new sidekick :(

Oh jeez. I remember thinking "tell me she's not the new companion" in that episode and being so relieved when she wasn't. Well, I'll try to reserve judgement.

Vintage Betty

Ho no, I'm not a Dr. Who fan! :rolleyes: My husband and I watch it together.

Sold this on ebay last year.

troughton_postcard1.JPG
troughton_postcard1b.JPG

Vintage Betty

imoldfashioned said:
Thanks for posting it--is there a story behind the picture?

It's not very exciting, but here it is...

A couple decades ago, I dated a guy who liked sci-fi as well as I did.
We went to a sci-fi convention and saw Mr. Troughton and I got a postcard and stood in line for his autograph.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Vintage Betty said:
It's not very exciting, but here it is...

A couple decades ago, I dated a guy who liked sci-fi as well as I did.
We went to a sci-fi convention and saw Mr. Troughton and I got a postcard and stood in line for his autograph.

Hey, it works for me! Thanks for sharing.

Starius

Practically Family
OMG! I wish I had seen that on ebay! I would have bid on it for sure!

I have a Colin Baker autograph, but don't have one from any other doctor. I do have a Sarah Sutton autograph from a trading card set, though.

And hey, give Catherine Tate a chance! I actually rather liked her in the Christmas invasion. I thought she and the Doctor had a great dynamic. A little more even ground for the fact that shes not intimidated at all by any of his unknown science mumbo jumbo. After all, hes just a Martian right? ;)

By the way, did you ever see the comedy sketch with Catherine Tate and David Tennant?
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WxB1gB6K-2A

Martha Jones will be in at least 5 episodes of series 4 so you know what that means.... the return of the multiple companions! I miss the days of when the Doctor had a few diverse companions with him. These 1 companion to 1 Doctor episodes are all turning into love stories, for cryin out loud.

Edward

Bartender
Starius said:
I had a particular thought today: Wouldn't James Nesbitt have been a great choice to play the Master?
http://www.ginosprio.com/_images/James+Nesbitt_bySprio.jpg[/IMG]

I always thought he'd make a great Doctor, but yes, he'd do a great Master too. I suspect next time round we'll see a female master..... I'll say no more, though, for obvious reasons.

Incidently, a few weeks ago, there was a rumour reported in the tabloids here in Blighty that Nesbitt was being considered for the eleventh Doctor (speculation being that Tennant will leave the show at the end of the fourth season, along with Russell T Davies). It's been confirmed that this is nothing more than unsubstantiated rumour, but I'd love to see it. Time for some more variation in the Doctor - I think an Irish Doctor would be superb - after all, if lots of planets have a north, lots of them must have an Ireland too. Galifrey already we know had a Scotland, though the second Scottish actor to play him is a very English Doctor. lol Then maybe number twelve can be a Welsh Doctor. :)

anabolina

A-List Customer
imoldfashioned said:
Oh jeez. I remember thinking "tell me she's not the new companion" in that episode and being so relieved when she wasn't. Well, I'll try to reserve judgement.

You are so right, I remember thinking, thank goodness she isn't the new companion because she's kinda fun, but would get old and annoying real quick.

You know, I think I may be over the New Doctor Who thing, after they made a second companion fall for him :shakes head: I didn't even watch the last few episodes on the last season. When I think how excited I was when I heard they were filming a new series and the anticipation of waiting to be able to download it....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe