Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUCKAROO BONANZA! - The Hats that Major Mike Moore Makes

Well, my cars gonna be in the shop for a bit longer than I'd expected (hail damage from the April supercells), so my trip to Buckaroo Hatters will be delayed until early July.

I will most likely keep the design simple. A telescope similar to Jed Cooper's in Hang 'Em High, as I'd originally intended. 100% pure beaver, color black, with a contrasting ribbon and a black tooled leather hat band ('cuz I'm into leather :D). Dimensions still need to be worked out.
Until then, my BH Moorelite is more than enough hat to keep my head company.

If anyone is available either the first or second weekend of July, I'm game for a get-together. If not, I hope to at least get to handle of one o' them Strats I've been hearing about.

Well, I'll see you buckaroos on the trail. Later, y'all!

I watched The Missing again over Memorial Day weekend & I'm getting the hankering for a Boss of the Plains like Tommy Lee's!!!

RBH

Bartender
I watched The Missing again over Memorial Day weekend & I'm getting the hankering for a Boss of the Plains like Tommy Lee's!!!

Cool hat there Tom... but you gotta have hair.

images

majormoore

Vendor
Tom
I make alot of the Boss of the Plains hat, plus I have some of the 100% right hat blocks that are dead on the money.

Mike Moore

Tom
I make alot of the Boss of the Plains hat, plus I have some of the 100% right hat blocks that are dead on the money.

Mike Moore

No doubt Major. There is a photo of you & a kid on a bench in front of a Russell-looking painting. That hat you have on with a brim width like Tommy Lee's is what I have in mind.
I love the low dome crown.

Or the one you have on with the horses, again with a slightly thinner brim.

Last edited:

Duck

Practically Family
2010-12-11143750.jpg

Low crown, wide bound brim, kettle curl - That's what daddy likes! :D

Last edited:

barrowjh

One Too Many
Tom, you are so overdue for a visit to Covington. When Mike has the felt body we need from Winchester and can find a weekend to tolerate me to watch my 'BH Cutter' become a legend, I have every intention of trying to drag you there, meet up with you in Nashville to 'pool over there. Maybe that will happen before the end of Summer, but if you can get there sooner, just do it.

Tom, you are so overdue for a visit to Covington. When Mike has the felt body we need from Winchester and can find a weekend to tolerate me to watch my 'BH Cutter' become a legend, I have every intention of trying to drag you there, meet up with you in Nashville to 'pool over there. Maybe that will happen before the end of Summer, but if you can get there sooner, just do it.

For true JB. I need to get a job first then I'll plan the road trip! Keep me posted on that felt body...

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whoops! Forgot to take pictures! Well, I'm still in Covington, and I'll be dropping by the store again tomorrow on my way home to pick up some hat-cleaning supplies. I'll take some pictures then, and who knows....maybe I'll find an off-the-shelf hat to help alleviate the strain of the wait.

Anyway, while the Major helped some other customers, I got to trying on a ton of hats. I found three hats that I liked for different reasons, and asked the Major to create what is basically an amalgam of these hats. It's going to be 100X Steel Grey, with a 3.75'' brim with a very, very light curl to the brim, and a 4.75-5'' rounded crown, like what can be seen on the Mountain Man model on the Buckaroo Hatters website. Haven't quite decided what kind of ribbon or hatband to put on it, but that's a ways off.

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, here is the hat itself in its preliminary stage (i.e. sans brim curl and bound edge). In this photo the Major is showing me the contrast between the hatband I chose and a black grosgrain ribbon. A beautiful combo against the steel grey felt, but unfortunately is nearly indistinguishable in this picture.

You might be wondering how my custom hat is already near completion. I'll explain the incredible series of events later when I'm off work. It seems that Lady Luck is on my side, and as such I've decided to call this creation the Buckaroo Hatters Serendipity.

For now, here's the pic. Keep in mind that the crown is not as high as the picture would imply.

BuckarooHattersCustomHat.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe