Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

BUCKAROO BONANZA! - The Hats that Major Mike Moore Makes

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alright, here's another example of the Major's integrity and generosity.

When I went across the state to Buckaroo Hatters to speak with Mike about a custom hat (and to use the conformateur), I had been fully prepared for a 2-3 month wait as my hat, along with many others, was formed from the initial felt body stage to a fully fledged and finished western. That would prove not to be the case.

After trying on many hats, many times, I decided that I wanted a Steel Grey hat. After trying on all those same hats again, I decided to go with the Major's "Mountain Man" design. After telling the Major all of this, he told me he had an interesting proposal for me.

You see, a previous customer of Mike's had also wanted a 100X hat in Steel Grey with a wide brim and tallish crown. However, a defect on the brim that the Major wasn't satisfied with led to him making an entirely new hat for that customer. So in the back he had this nearly pristine Steel Grey 100x hat body, all alone.

The Major offered to reblock this hat into my head shape and use this body for the hat. Because of the defect, he also offered to sell me this 100X hat for the price of a 50X. The best part? The defective portion of the brim was far out, near the edge, and at the brim width I was wanting, that portion would be trimmed off. So essentially, even though it would have been completely fair to charge me the full price, a price I was willing to pay, the Major insisted that if I decided on this hat body I would only be charged the price for a 50X hat. The money I saved from the discount is what I put toward that one-of-a-kind hand-crafted bead-and-quill hatband (quite a mouthful!). The overall effect is striking, if I do say so myself.

Also, because the hat body was already in good shape, having been mostly made already for a previous customer, it should be ready A LOT sooner than usual. As in, a matter of several weeks versus the several months I was prepared for :D.

You can see why I named this hat the Buckaroo Hatters Serendipity.

Neophyte

Rusty, you must have missed my post a few pages ago...there was most definitely country fried steak lol! It was definitely a weekend to remember.

Neophyte

Hey, pal, I gotta eat lol. Anyway, like I said, there's always next time (or FedoraFestIV, whichever comes first). While you guys are setting that up, you should include a group trip to the Court Square Cafe. :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I like the look of this one (posted by Bob C) earlier in the thread.

IMG_0531.jpg

Neophyte

Ah yes, the "Fowl Weather" hat that's far too nice for foul weather lol. It's a great one!

I like these two that Mike made for Portolan. The Safari/Western hybrid is really cool!

I can't thank Major Moore enough for the great job he did on my custom hat. This 100% Beaver western weight hat is soooooooo soft. I had him make the brim a little bit bigger than he suggested, cause I like them that way. This is a great hat for wearing in both Florida and Mexico. It came with both a black ribbon that shows off the beaver silver belly and a horse hair hat band for a moore (pun intended) Mexican look. As far as I am concerned, Mike nailed this for me. He was such a gentleman throughout the process and got it to me in plenty of time for Christmas. The lovely Mrs. Stover said I could wear it to take some pictures and then back under the tree it goes. I have never had such a soft velvety hat. Thanks Mike for making this very special for me. I couldn't be happier.....a little bit country and a little bit Africa . . . he did just what I asked for. :eusa_clap

Buckaroo8.jpg

Buckaroo7.jpg

Buckaroo2.jpg

Buckaroo4.jpg

Buckaroo5.jpg

I have been absent for over three weeks. I trust all is well with all of you. While on my extended road trip I received my new Mike Moore Buckaroo fedora. I haven't been able to post it til now. It is a wonderfully soft lightweight beaver fedora from a felt I picked out on our tour of the Winchester plant. Mike has done a spectacular job on a hat with which I am very pleased. Mike was terrific throughout the whole process. I left it up to him to make me the perfect hat from the felt. He was wonderful in every way and I am thrilled.

Congrats to Mike for another wonderful fedora. So soft and wonderful...you are the man!

GreenBuckaroo.jpg

Buckaroogreen3.jpg

buckaroogreen4.jpg

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
That's a great story, Neo, and makes me simultaneously sad and relieved that I do not live in proximity (that I know of) to such a reputable custom hatter! Oh, the debt I would accrue...
On second thought-- yeah I suppose I do wish I lived closer!

fmw

One Too Many
Alright, here's another example of the Major's integrity and generosity.

When I went across the state to Buckaroo Hatters to speak with Mike about a custom hat (and to use the conformateur), I had been fully prepared for a 2-3 month wait as my hat, along with many others, was formed from the initial felt body stage to a fully fledged and finished western. That would prove not to be the case.

After trying on many hats, many times, I decided that I wanted a Steel Grey hat. After trying on all those same hats again, I decided to go with the Major's "Mountain Man" design. After telling the Major all of this, he told me he had an interesting proposal for me.

You see, a previous customer of Mike's had also wanted a 100X hat in Steel Grey with a wide brim and tallish crown. However, a defect on the brim that the Major wasn't satisfied with led to him making an entirely new hat for that customer. So in the back he had this nearly pristine Steel Grey 100x hat body, all alone.

The Major offered to reblock this hat into my head shape and use this body for the hat. Because of the defect, he also offered to sell me this 100X hat for the price of a 50X. The best part? The defective portion of the brim was far out, near the edge, and at the brim width I was wanting, that portion would be trimmed off. So essentially, even though it would have been completely fair to charge me the full price, a price I was willing to pay, the Major insisted that if I decided on this hat body I would only be charged the price for a 50X hat. The money I saved from the discount is what I put toward that one-of-a-kind hand-crafted bead-and-quill hatband (quite a mouthful!). The overall effect is striking, if I do say so myself.

Also, because the hat body was already in good shape, having been mostly made already for a previous customer, it should be ready A LOT sooner than usual. As in, a matter of several weeks versus the several months I was prepared for :D.

You can see why I named this hat the Buckaroo Hatters Serendipity.

......and most importantly, he makes great hats.

Alex, we can't wait to see this hat. It's nice to hear there's still some honesty, integrity and gentlemanliness in this world. Sounds like you had a great visit to the Major.

Very nice replacement hat, Bob C.

majormoore

Vendor
I always try to "Treat people the way I want to be treated" and in business I try too "Exceed customer's expectations" these two motto's have helped me more than anything else in life and in business.

Major Moore

BobC

You dont know the half of it.

:arated: Mike Moore is top notch in my book. We are very fortunate to have the quality of people we have around here, and Mike is right up there with the best of them.

Duck

Practically Family
:arated: Mike Moore is top notch in my book. We are very fortunate to have the quality of people we have around here, and Mike is right up there with the best of them.
Bob, I could not have said it better. Plus Mike is a just a heck of a nice guy.

Neophyte

Alright guys, here goes. The hat arrived today and WOW!!!

The hat's nice and stiff (though not cardboard-stiff like a modern Stetson) but the finish is really, really smooth. As a baby's butt, one might say. Dimensions of the hat are dead-on to what I asked the Major to make, and it fits like a dream (especially considering the lumpy outline of my head.

It got here in the evening (the college mail system takes some time to organize itself once the mail arrives) so it was already dark. I will take some better, sunlit pics tomorrow, but here's the best I can do for now. I'm especially fond of the hatband!

The knife is an antique patch knife I found at Buckaroo Hatters.

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled.jpg

Poor lighting made the smile go away temporarily lol.

Overall, this is a fantastic hat. It and the Moorelite are without question the nicest hats I own, and the ones I wear most frequently. I'm excited about giving this one some headtime as the weather cools down.

Thank you, Mike and the Buckaroo Hatters crew, for all your hard work. I appreciate y'alls help in making my first custom experience so pleasurable. I can't wait to do it again (although my wallet can lol).

barrowjh

One Too Many
Nicely done, looks good on you. I'm ^%$#** patiently waiting for Winchester to run a batch of felts in light olive so the Major can begin on my BH Cutter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe