Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bill Kelso's New Californian half belt, a new release I think.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've seen many good looking half belt designs being showcased on BK's Facebook site, but why is there no one here posting about their new purchase or showing fit pics? If saw a few good solid reviews from fellow loungers I would be tempted but until then I'll just keep looking at the studio photos and wondering :-(

There are a handful of A-2 reviews on the VLJ forum that won't show up when you do a google search because it's a private forum. In fact, most of the search results show the first generation Kelsos, mostly the house A-2 and the older horsehide.
It's true there aren't numerous reviews. But if you search hard enough, you'll find some that are on other forums. My guess is for any manufacturer, only a tiny handful of purchases get a review. Putting yourself out there on a public forum is a courageous act.
And if you compare BK to Aero, my guess is the review/non review ratio is proportionate. Aero sells more product.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
BK did have an affiliate thread here for a while, but even then there were very few jackets modelled on it. It is a lot of work to make an AT work, but done properly, like Thurston's, it's an effective shop window.

bretron

Call Me a Cab
BK could definitely benefit from some stockist support (like Thurston is to Aero).

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
PS @proteinnerd I think maybe I can guess what has happened to you. Sometimes, and I know this from personal experience, the BK email address goes tits up and emails that you thought were delivered get returned undelivered several months later. That's the only thing I can think of to explain your situation

Thats a real shame if its what happened as I was really keen on the Californian, the money has been spent on the Aero now and it would be a waste to get them both they are so similar....

Like I said he was alway very pleasant when he replied.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm surprised that we haven't been paid a visit by 'him'. We're long overdue a good talking to, that's for sure.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Not surprised he did. He got such a bad rap whenever he posted.

I agree that Andy wasn't always treated fairly, but he didn't help himself with his behavior. He started the talk of full-grain leather and was ridiculed by many; lo and behold, other manufacturers are now using full-grain and everyone here agrees it is stunning and many are willing to pay a premium for it. His jackets (and leather) are awesome and if BK can churn out those jackets on a regular basis, he will have a line of people waiting to buy them.

cordwangler

One of the Regulars
You never know, BK may actually have more luck on the Lounge by not posting here themselves.

Good luck to any maker posting here using a second language.

Who was the first maker to post here with Italian full grain leather? Oh yeah, BK.

Shoot the messenger and don't be the first tall poppy, eh?

pawineguy

One Too Many
Good luck to any maker posting here using a second language.

Who was the first maker to post here with Italian full grain leather? Oh yeah, BK.

Shoot the messenger and don't be the first tall poppy, eh?

There was probably a little bit of that, but he was also trashing other people's products as he was touting his own. (other people that did use full-grain, but were combo tanned as opposed to veg tanned) I tried to follow the process of his new Hercules jacket, but his thread on VLJ was mainly him bashing Aero, so I gave up. I don't think I'll ever understand his compulsion to trash his competitors, it's his undoing.

Totally agree that if he had a US stocklist that could handle his PR, and they could stick to designing and producing their (unquestionably very high quality) jackets, BK would be much better served.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
That's a gorgeous jacket, I remember that they had a price hike a couple of months ago, but I had not realised how steep they where. Add to that fairly ordinairy customer care and the fiasco of waiting months for those hides some time ago, and it's not as appealing as it could be. Bloody nice jacket all the same.

pawineguy

One Too Many
That's a gorgeous jacket, I remember that they had a price hike a couple of months ago, but I had not realised how steep they where. Add to that fairly ordinairy customer care and the fiasco of waiting months for those hides some time ago, and it's not as appealing as it could be. Bloody nice jacket all the same.

It is a beautiful jacket for sure, unfortunately they announced on Facebook another delay due to tannery issues, with the new and improved HH.

schitzo

Suspended
Another? Wow, if I'd bought any one of their previous other 'inferior' hides I'd feel pretty annoyed. :rolleyes:

Most here are agreed that it was Andy's talking down of other companies that was his TFL undoing. With that in mind, snide catty comments like this one from you Sloane (if memory serves, it's a point you've already made elsewhere on this forum, probably more than once), in light of your role, might not be the best way forward. Food for thought

For those interested in this thread and its topic apparently BK have been busy and now have the following halfbelts in their range: the Canadian, the Westfall, the Wingman, the Surrogates (Tony Nowak pattern), the original Californian, the Dodger and the Heracles. I don't know what most of these are but the one pictured on page 1 is the Dodger

Last edited:

zhz

Practically Family
Most here are agreed that it was Andy's talking down of other companies that was his TFL undoing. With that in mind, snide catty comments like this one from you Sloane (if memory serves, it's a point you've already made elsewhere on this forum, probably more than once), in light of your role, might not be the best way forward. Food for thought

For those interested in this thread and its topic apparently BK have been busy and now have the following halfbelts in their range: the Canadian, the Westfall, the Wingman, the Surrogates (Tony Nowak pattern), the original Californian, the Dodger and the Heracles. I don't know what most of these are but the one pictured on page 1 is the Dodger

Do you know where I can find the pictures of Canadian, Wingman and original Californian?

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
At least Andy informed us of BK's special one time deal in his posts when he was here. As for the comments, "trashing?" etc, one can always skip if unhappy with them. I know I did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82