Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
That hat looks amazing on you. It suits your style and the color of your skin. It might be a bit big (honestly I can't tell) but it is also a big hat because that was the style, so that might be contributing to your doubts.

You can look for twenty years and never find another one like it. I seriously advise you to keep it for at least a year and give it a try, wear it out occasionally with various outfits. If you still can't get under it, then sell it on eBay - that hat will bring you a pretty penny at auction.

I would be hard pressed to find one that's more impressive looking on the entire TFL - I can find some that are just as impressive, but not more impressive.

When people with widsom and knowledge advise me, I listen.

I will do what you say and thank you for your guidance.

wsmontana

A-List Customer
It's strange because in Dobbs 7 3/8 fits me very well. Maybe I'm better off with a smaller brim as opposed go 3 inches. Maybe I should grow my hair longer on the sides? I usually buzz it down to a half or 1
I don’t consider myself a hat expert like others in the lounge but IMO the Dobbs is a solid hat that looks good on you and it could be a good everyday type of hat for you.

The Knox is a whole different level of style and panache. It looks fantastic on you as is but it’s quality and architecture are such that you can adapt it to your style as needed down the road.

I‘ve observed that it is a natural evolution of some hat wearers to start with small hats (in brim and crown size) and then go bigger as they gain confidence and adapt their style. Maybe the Knox has jumped you too far down that path but I recommend that you stick with it!

Looking forward to seeing you and your hats show up in the “what hat are you wearing today” thread :).

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Ps @Jimmy__patt :
You might think about keeping that very nice Borsalino you have in the classifieds as well!!
You have started with 2 particularly nice vintage hats. You’ll look long and hard before you upstage them.

Many here looked for a long time before they discovered such quality. Some still haven’t.
Good luck and welcome here.

It’s good to see a new guy follow sage advice here. Often the inverse and they don’t last long.
B

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
When people with widsom and knowledge advise me, I listen.

I will do what you say and thank you for your guidance.

Wisdom and knowledge? Moi? Must be all these Chinese temples I’m hanging out around these days, begging for loose change. :D

Give me a few days, I’ll for sure say something utterly false and completely foolish. That’s when you’ll know you met the real me.

Joking aside, I’m glad you’re gonna try the hat out for a short time anyway. It really is a winner.

And so is the rest of your collection, btw! Where did you find so many grail hats? Knox 25, Imperial Stetson, 1940s Borsalino? Boy do you have an eye for quality! Keep it up and I hope you’ll show us some of your collection over on the “What Hat are you Wearing Today” thread.

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
Wisdom and knowledge? Moi? Must be all these Chinese temples I’m hanging out around these days, begging for loose change. :D

Give me a few days, I’ll for sure say something utterly false and completely foolish. That’s when you’ll know you met the real me.

Joking aside, I’m glad you’re gonna try the hat out for a short time anyway. It really is a winner.

And so is the rest of your collection, btw! Where did you find so many grail hats? Knox 25, Imperial Stetson, 1940s Borsalino? Boy do you have an eye for quality! Keep it up and I hope you’ll show us some of your collection over on the “What Hat are you Wearing Today” thread.
I really enjoy collecting vintage things. I especially love vintage suits. I find alot of my things on etsy and ebay but living in staten island so close to the city, it's really the thrift capital of the world. Heres an old suit from the 50's with a dobbs twenty. Tomorrow I will show you another very special stetson.

Attachments

• IMG_3507.jpeg
    IMG_3507.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3471.jpeg
    IMG_3471.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3488.jpeg
    IMG_3488.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3480.jpeg
    IMG_3480.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3524.jpeg
    IMG_3524.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 52

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I really enjoy collecting vintage things. I especially love vintage suits. I find alot of my things on etsy and ebay but living in staten island so close to the city, it's really the thrift capital of the world. Heres an old suit from the 50's with a dobbs twenty. Tomorrow I will show you another very special stetson.
That is sick! And a Dobbs 20 to boot! I can see you have a lot to contribute to this community... welcome aboard Jimmy!

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
That is sick! And a Dobbs 20 to boot! I can see you have a lot to contribute to this community... welcome aboard Jimmy!
Heres the hat I promised to show you. This is a Stetson twentyfive from the 1940's I believe, it's in mint deadstock condition. My son Jack wanted in on the action as well.

Attachments

• IMG_0708.jpeg
    IMG_0708.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0776.jpeg
    IMG_0776.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0735.jpeg
    IMG_0735.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0743.jpeg
    IMG_0743.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0796.jpeg
    IMG_0796.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 51
  • C5F90311-0277-4EB4-8D88-DEA720A8989B.jpeg
    C5F90311-0277-4EB4-8D88-DEA720A8989B.jpeg
    444.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 63

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Heres the hat I promised to show you. This is a Stetson twentyfive from the 1940's I believe, it's in mint deadstock condition. My son Jack wanted in on the action as well.

Okay, this does it - I’m moving to Staten Island. I’m gonna spend the rest of my days listening to Billy Joel and shopping New York thrift stores. Maybe I’ll even find me a cool kid to hang out with like you’ve got. ;D

Envy aside, that’s another sweet hat. I love my JBS 25. And that shot with your son is golden. Thanks for sharing and please do share more - we’re loving it!

georgie girl

One of the Regulars
I have a general question for any of the folks with a larger array of Lee and Disney hats. I don't have any Lee hats that are higher than Black, which is bottom end, but I have gotten the idea that the Disney hats were more a high end lid and wondered how they compared to the 'same' decade higher end Lee hats.

Do any of you guys have Silver/White/Gold Lee hat and a Disney hat from somewhere near the same time??

How does the felt compare?

PS: I would have put this in one of those threads, but neither of them is that large of a thread, so I figured that the question would be seen quicker here, thanks

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
I have a general question for any of the folks with a larger array of Lee and Disney hats. I don't have any Lee hats that are higher than Black, which is bottom end, but I have gotten the idea that the Disney hats were more a high end lid and wondered how they compared to the 'same' decade higher end Lee hats.

Do any of you guys have Silver/White/Gold Lee hat and a Disney hat from somewhere near the same time??

How does the felt compare?

PS: I would have put this in one of those threads, but neither of them is that large of a thread, so I figured that the question would be seen quicker here, thanks
Unfortunately, I don’t have any Lee or Disney hats, but what’s this about black hats being lower end? I’ve never heard that before.

JoshuaGrossman

New in Town
Is Panamabob still selling Ecuadorian hats from master weavers in Pile, Ecuador? Where is the best place to get a hat Pile Fino hat now?

VoodooSan

One Too Many
Don, best I can tell, after playing around with various filters, is that I think it's Weatherby. But it doesn't seem to match the lining on the only other Weatherby I can pull up on the interwebz.

DonR

A-List Customer
Don, best I can tell, after playing around with various filters, is that I think it's Weatherby. But it doesn't seem to match the lining on the only other Weatherby I can pull up on the interwebz.
Thanks Mark. I think I found the same hat. The shape of the logo on my example and that hat where it surrounds "hatters" is very similar. So i took my liner part way out and held it up to the light. It is a Wratherby. I know nothing of the brand, but it is a very nice felt. Needs a cleaning and a little shaping.

1000005007.jpg

1000005009.jpg

1000005012.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Petitmalpa