Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 633392

Thanks, I feel like it looks too big for my head?
If I zoom in there does appear to be a gap between the sweatband and your head, but I can't say for certain. Is the top of your head bottoming out on the crown? If so, then yes it's probably too big. It is possible to place shim(s) behind the sweatband, but this usually will cause the sweatband to pucker a bit.

If you're talking about the presence of the hat being too big, that is something that many people deal with when first wearing hats. Based on the pictures I would guess it probably has a 2-3/4" brim, which is about as wide as they get for fedoras. (You will find the occasional 2-7/8 or 3", and western hats can have larger brims.) Some people find this a bit intimidating at first, but it seems to be that the longer your wear hats (and stick around here) the more comfortable you'll become and even gravitate toward the wider brims. The 5-3/4" crown depth is also on the larger side but that can be more easily manipulated by how you crease the hat.

Wear the hat around the house, out to the mailbox, etc. and see if it grows on you. Then venture to the grocery store or some other quick run. If it still seems too big I guarantee there would be no shortage of people interested in this hat should you decide to move it along.

mouse86

New in Town
Was wondering if anyone could tell me more information on this awesome hat I recently purchased at an auction. I love it and of course it's to big like most of my hats but I do plan to wear it.

Attachments

• 20240813_203712.jpg
    20240813_203712.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 57
  • 20240813_203720.jpg
    20240813_203720.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 48
  • FB_IMG_1723587387917.jpg
    FB_IMG_1723587387917.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 43

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
If I zoom in there does appear to be a gap between the sweatband and your head, but I can't say for certain. Is the top of your head bottoming out on the crown? If so, then yes it's probably too big. It is possible to place shim(s) behind the sweatband, but this usually will cause the sweatband to pucker a bit.

If you're talking about the presence of the hat being too big, that is something that many people deal with when first wearing hats. Based on the pictures I would guess it probably has a 2-3/4" brim, which is about as wide as they get for fedoras. (You will find the occasional 2-7/8 or 3", and western hats can have larger brims.) Some people find this a bit intimidating at first, but it seems to be that the longer your wear hats (and stick around here) the more comfortable you'll become and even gravitate toward the wider brims. The 5-3/4" crown depth is also on the larger side but that can be more easily manipulated by how you crease the hat.

Wear the hat around the house, out to the mailbox, etc. and see if it grows on you. Then venture to the grocery store or some other quick run. If it still seems too big I guarantee there would be no shortage of people interested in this hat should you decide to move it along.
The problem is 7 1/4 is too small for my head.

7 3/8 leaves some space, yes, but is that necessarily a bad thing? The crown does not bottom out on my dome.

I guess im just stuck in between?

I was more concerned the actual hat itself was too big not so much the fit.

I put some felt inside the sweatband. I think it looks better now?

Attachments

• IMG_3758.jpeg
    IMG_3758.jpeg
    871 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3766.jpeg
    IMG_3766.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3767.jpeg
    IMG_3767.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3768.jpeg
    IMG_3768.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3764.jpeg
    IMG_3764.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 55
Last edited:

dwlovell

New in Town
Welcome to the lounge. Very nice Borsalino. Your grandfather had good taste. Borsalino is one of the most prolific Italian hat makers of the last century… and still made today.

Your hat does appear to have some age to it. Might be able to narrow down for you if we could see any tags behind the sweatband.

Check out the Borsalino Brotherhood

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-borsalino-brotherhood.13133/page-466

Here is the photo of the inside of the hat. If that helps that would be great. I am trying to see about what decade this is from. Thank you!

Attachments

• vintagehat.jpg
    vintagehat.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 46

7 3/8 leaves some space, yes, but is that necessarily a bad thing? The crown does not bottom out on my dome.

My guess is that you are a long oval. Most off the shelf hats are regular oval. So in order to get the right fit on a 7 1/4" head size you have to move up to a 7 3/8" to get the right dimension at the forehead. Then you end up with a gap at the temples that gives the appearance that the hat is too big....which in effect it is. The antidote is to have a hat made with Long Oval blocking or find an off the shelf hat blocked to the Long Oval.

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
My guess is that you are a long oval. Most off the shelf hats are regular oval. So in order to get the right fit on a 7 1/4" head size you have to move up to a 7 3/8" to get the right dimension at the forehead. Then you end up with a gap at the temples that gives the appearance that the hat is too big....which in effect it is. The antidote is to have a hat made with Long Oval blocking or find an off the shelf hat blocked to the Long Oval.
I think once I put the sizers in the sweatband it makes all the difference. Also, I handbashed the crown into a porkpie shape and that really helped alot too.

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
Sizing strips do help. If you want the experience of having a hat that truly fits you.....look for a Long Oval or commission a custom hat.

It's strange because in Dobbs 7 3/8 fits me very well. Maybe I'm better off with a smaller brim as opposed go 3 inches. Maybe I should grow my hair longer on the sides? I usually buzz it down to a half or 1

Attachments

• IMG_3646.jpeg
    IMG_3646.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3648.jpeg
    IMG_3648.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 34

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
It's strange because in Dobbs 7 3/8 fits me very well. Maybe I'm better off with a smaller brim as opposed go 3 inches. Maybe I should grow my hair longer on the sides? I usually buzz it down to a half or 1
EC6C28CF-E65F-4B12-9533-FFAFECFB77C3.png
F8582A59-730F-4344-A906-6F887C22EA96.png

I think your too big brim concerns may have to do with hat orientation. Everybody wears hats differently. In your two pics you wear both tilted back on your head.
A wide brim is exaggerated in the front when tilted back, especially if snapped up. Idk depends on the look you are going for.
B

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Play with them. I think they have potential.

View attachment 633555 View attachment 633556
I think your too big brim concerns may have to do with hat orientation. Everybody wears hats differently. In your two pics you wear both tilted back on your head.
A wide brim is exaggerated in the front when tilted back, especially if snapped up. Idk depends on the look you are going for.
B

20231124_093517.jpg 20231124_093533.jpg 20231124_093551.jpg

If you plan on continuing to collect hats it would serve you well to get your head shape determined. Head shape is about as important as the actual head measurement.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

That hat looks amazing on you. It suits your style and the color of your skin. It might be a bit big (honestly I can't tell) but it is also a big hat because that was the style, so that might be contributing to your doubts.

You can look for twenty years and never find another one like it. I seriously advise you to keep it for at least a year and give it a try, wear it out occasionally with various outfits. If you still can't get under it, then sell it on eBay - that hat will bring you a pretty penny at auction.

I would be hard pressed to find one that's more impressive looking on the entire TFL - I can find some that are just as impressive, but not more impressive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HvdB