Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RickP

Practically Family
True, but of course I have 58s that are too big, too small, and just right... o_O
Thats why I searched for a good "hat attitude adjuster"... I can persuade the them into fitting as needed

Compress_20240523_163712_2814.jpg

Over the past couple of years Ive kinda noticed in my unscientific investigations that American Hat sizing in Stetson, Champ, Towncraft, Knox etc are slightly different than foreign made hats. ( A 7-1/4/ 58 Stetson fits me the same way that a 59 Akubra does. Not having a Borsalino around to compare leaves a knowledge void on the matter but I did look at an older-ish english made hat marked 58 and it was pretty snug. Question is... do the Americans use a slightly different standard than the rest of the world... Are out heads just bigger ? lol
I think the real problem is simply that most Americans don't know how to measure their own heads accurately.

Example--my best male friend is a guy I've known for 50 years. His hair started thinning a year or two before we graduated high school, and he chose to wear flat caps and ball caps. Once I started wearing hats--Fedoras and such--he decided he'd like to look into getting a proper hat for himself, so I told him the first step was to measure his head to determine his size. He had a Tailor's Tape handy, so I gave him the basic instructions for how to measure his own head, and the first thing he did was to wrap it around his head far too tight and in the wrong place. After a little fine tuning we finally got a good measurement, and...well, he's still wearing flat and ball caps. :rolleyes:

RickP

Practically Family
I think the real problem is simply that most Americans don't know how to measure their own heads accurately.

Example--my best male friend is a guy I've known for 50 years. His hair started thinning a year or two before we graduated high school, and he chose to wear flat caps and ball caps. Once I started wearing hats--Fedoras and such--he decided he'd like to look into getting a proper hat for himself, so I told him the first step was to measure his head to determine his size. He had a Tailor's Tape handy, so I gave him the basic instructions for how to measure his own head, and the first thing he did was to wrap it around his head far too tight and in the wrong place. After a little fine tuning we finally got a good measurement, and...well, he's still wearing flat and ball caps. :rolleyes:
Im a firm beliver in "if in doubt buy big and stuff the sweatband"

That is my great concern when dealing with a client on line. I use the Flex Curve to check the shape of the head and thot process gives me a double check. I have caught customers out a few times and asked them to remeasure as their tape measurement does not match the diagram/dimensions from the Flex Curve. It is not a cure all as the client can screw up both ends of the procedure but thankfully have not have that happened........yet!

dwlovell

New in Town
hi! I am new to the Fedora Lounge, I am happy to have found this place! I inherited 2 hats from my grandfather, one was easy to find info on, it is a Stetson, but this one I am having issues trying to find out more, mainly the time frame/date it was made. Any info would be appreciated. I will be selling them as sadly they are not my size. Thank you for any help!

Attachments

• stetsonhatblack26.jpg
    stetsonhatblack26.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 54
  • stetsonhatblack25.jpg
    stetsonhatblack25.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 46
  • stetsonhatblack24.jpg
    stetsonhatblack24.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 37
  • stetsonhatblack23.jpg
    stetsonhatblack23.jpg
    431.2 KB · Views: 28
  • stetsonhatblack21.jpg
    stetsonhatblack21.jpg
    384.3 KB · Views: 33
  • stetsonhatblack20.jpg
    stetsonhatblack20.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 33
  • stetsonhatblack16.jpg
    stetsonhatblack16.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 30
  • stetsonhatblack15.jpg
    stetsonhatblack15.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 30
  • stetsonhatblack14.jpg
    stetsonhatblack14.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 25
hi! I am new to the Fedora Lounge, I am happy to have found this place! I inherited 2 hats from my grandfather, one was easy to find info on, it is a Stetson, but this one I am having issues trying to find out more, mainly the time frame/date it was made. Any info would be appreciated. I will be selling them as sadly they are not my size. Thank you for any help!
Welcome to the lounge. Very nice Borsalino. Your grandfather had good taste. Borsalino is one of the most prolific Italian hat makers of the last century… and still made today.

Your hat does appear to have some age to it. Might be able to narrow down for you if we could see any tags behind the sweatband.

Check out the Borsalino Brotherhood

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/the-borsalino-brotherhood.13133/page-466

How far off your size are they? There are adjustments that can be done, especially if these lids have family provenance. Too big? Small?

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
Hey, just picked up this Knox Twenty Five long haired beaver. Could anyone tell me what decade it is from please? Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_3701.jpg
    IMG_3701.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3704.jpg
    IMG_3704.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3705.jpg
    IMG_3705.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3706.jpg
    IMG_3706.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3707.jpg
    IMG_3707.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3708.jpg
    IMG_3708.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3709.jpg
    IMG_3709.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_3710.jpg
    IMG_3710.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 39

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
Hey, just picked up this Knox Twenty Five long haired beaver. Could anyone tell me what decade it is from please? Thank you!
That's a sharp looking hat! I wouldn't go so far as to call it beaver but at the Twenty Five level it's probably a blend. I would estimate it's from the later 40s or early 50s, but a picture of the manufacturing tag under the sweatband would be the best way to confirm.

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
That's a sharp looking hat! I wouldn't go so far as to call it beaver but at the Twenty Five level it's probably a blend. I would estimate it's from the later 40s or early 50s, but a picture of the manufacturing tag under the sweatband would be the best way to confirm.
View attachment 633392
Excellent, thank you. The first picture is probably from when the hat was refurbished. The second is the original manufacturing tag. That format was used in the 40s. Again, a wonderful hat!
Thanks, I feel like it looks too big for my head?

Attachments

• IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3752.jpeg
    IMG_3752.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3753.jpeg
    IMG_3753.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
  • IMG_3756.jpeg
    IMG_3756.jpeg