Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Kind of curious why you would limit yourself from eBay, the largest source of vintage hats on the planet??

Unfortunately, the lounge classifieds aren’t like a drive through.
If you want a hat try putting a WTB in the classifieds stating what hat you are looking for. Plenty of people would entertain you.
B
Yes, many of the largest collectors here in the Lounge don't use the Lounge to sell. They use Ebay.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Hello again,

How come when I go into the classifieds section, I don't see any vintage hats for sale? It's all clothing.

Where can I find and buy vintage hats outside of eBay if not here?

No specific reason why there aren’t more hats listed in the classifieds. I did just see an ad for a very nice Strat, btw.

EBay is by far your best option for shopping vintage hats. Etsy is another one but not nearly as good. There are other sites but they are a bit like secret surf breaks or favorite fishing holes: you’ve just got to find them yourself (I personally don’t use any other sites, so don’t ask me to take you there).

Honestly, if you’re a new collector, you will learn a great deal just by surfing eBay.

Last edited:

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
No specific reason why there aren’t more hats listed in the classifieds. I did just see an ad for a very nice Strat, btw.

EBay is by far your best option for shopping vintage hats. Etsy is another one but not nearly as good. There are other sites but they are a bit like secret surf breaks or favorite fishing holes: you’ve just got to find them yourself (I personally don’t use any other sites, so don’t ask me to take you there).

Honestly, if you’re a new collector, you will learn a great deal just by surfing eBay.
Thank you for your reply.

As for ebay, what era or decade would
this hat be from?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1763725770...xo1swovrjk&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Monte

Practically Family
I found a grail hat (to me) in an antique store in Colorado. It was a needle in a haystack situation, like once in a lifetime. My point is, you can also custom make hats that are nearly like a vtg '50s-'60s hat. Any color scheme u choose. Some finished hats that ship the next day, or u can customize a hat and have it built.

Monte

Practically Family
Also, only sellers show the whole Louge a hat for sale on the bay...I promise I won't bid, the '60s were not friendly to brims, speaking in generalities.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Thank you for your reply.

As for ebay, what era or decade would
this hat be from?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1763725770...xo1swovrjk&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

That’s a darn nice hat and less seldom seen. It’s in good shape, with a box at a decent price. But yeah, black and stingy brimmed - those characteristics are not so much my style, but that’s just me. I personally wouldn’t associate this hat with the Hasidic community, though.

I’d say you have a good eye if that was your first choice out of the gate.

Last edited:
Thanks.

My fear about wearing a black hat is that growing up in Brooklyn, I don't want to look like the Hassidic that live over in Boro Park and Williamsburg lol
A few words of caution based on my missteps in buying vintage on Ebay. Firstly, the hat is not a derby/bowler as the brim treatment is wrong. Black hats are not popular and generally go for a lower price. Have patience, browse to get a feel for pricing. Be selective, don't fear putting in an offer even if they don't offer that option.

I always ask the seller specifically: are there any odours to the hat, are there any stains, moth nibbles, or flaws in the felt? Is the leather sweat band supple and are the threads intact/solid. If the hat arrives with any of these and the seller has not disclosed them in a direct question then you have grounds for a return/refund. This hat is being sold by a "non hat guy" so he does not know hats much at all. Never assume that he knows hats.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Agree. It is a nice open crown fedora, not a bowler.

I would not want a whole collection of black hats, but they lend a bit of class to many wardrobes.

20230908_073239.jpg

It looks a very odd shape for a Bowler/Derby. The crown looks too soft, and the ribbon too wide.

RickP

Practically Family
Weve all got a closet full of brown silverbelly, and black hats... lets see some colors ( Blue Green, yellow, tan). Whatchagot?

RickP

Practically Family
Ive been watching an older Hat with a really wide ribbon and a back bow. Im kinda thinking if I get it, Ill prob look at a somewhat narrower ribbon (assuming the old ribbon hasnt left a stain line on the felt). Has anyone "updated" an older hat by rotating the ribbon from a back bow to a side bow? Seems like most backbows Ive seen have kind of a primitive/ industrial look... might not look right on the side

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delrey486