Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
Hey, I'm new here, first time poster. I have a question, maybe someone can help. I just picked up this straw hat made by Dobbs. Could someone please tell me what decade it's from? It says made in Italy. Thanks in advance.

PS. Is it possible to reshape the hat? I would really like a center crease and a tear drop.

James
I would leave it as is, a true classic!
Moreover, you would need the right equipment to reshape it.

Monte

Practically Family
Thank you. I will take your advice and leave the hat as is. I can't believe the condition it's in for a 70 year old hat, almost like new.
Yes. It is amazing that the condition of so many old hats is this great. If that hat was turned into a work hat or was thrown away by the owner's kids, it would not be here for us to wear and enjoy. I'm sure you'll put that in your rotation and get good use out of it. It is a nice, casual color and looks fresh for sure.

agreed, they are not terrible and I can definitely live with them. Ideally I would get rid of them.

I tried a damp rag, but like I said, if there's is nothing that will fix them I will accept it. Strange though as I thought CXL was extremely waterproof
Beer has alcohol in it. Alcohol breaks down oils, wax......in other words.....waterproofing.

rogueclimber

A-List Customer
I don't recognize this maker -- If you know who that is please let me know

8C7E7328-D67A-4396-A0E4-1FC94495CFB6_1_102_o.jpeg
IMG_0646.jpeg
IMG_0647.jpeg
IMG_0648.jpeg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Last edited:

hodgeko

One of the Regulars
Thinking of taking my Barbour International on an upcoming trip in the Fall. What hat do you guys think would look good with it? Fedoras seem a little... off? Like they don't go for some reason. Flat cap/newsboy/Gatsby seems right but a bit... boring or obvious maybe? Any ideas? What do you guys wear with your Barbour?

barbour.jpg

RickP

A-List Customer
Thinking of taking my Barbour International on an upcoming trip in the Fall. What hat do you guys think would look good with it? Fedoras seem a little... off? Like they don't go for some reason. Flat cap/newsboy/Gatsby seems right but a bit... boring or obvious maybe? Any ideas? What do you guys wear with your Barbour?

View attachment 625864
Maybe a narrower brim fedora? 2 to 2-1/4" brim wouldnt overpower anything. Something like an old Stetson Moose River in Silverbelly would look good... particurly if it was well used with a few "Character" places. Maybe something semi crushable like an Akubra Traveler..... Theres also lots of nice casual Pendleton wool hats available

View attachment 625864
If you are flying...note that fedoras do not travel well. Perhaps a flat cap/newsboy would be a better travel choice. But wear what is comfortable, and what best suits the activity and weather.

Monte

Practically Family

View attachment 625864
I think any color fedora would be fine. Some people feel out of place in certain hats. I like to play peaky blinder sometimes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240709_121052_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240709_121052_Chrome.jpg
    378.5 KB · Views: 16

RickP

A-List Customer
And of course you could always rock a Barbour oiled cotton flat cap. I wore one with parkas and coats quite a bit when I lived up north. Wish I knew what happened to that dark green cap... I liked it a lot

Vintage Sunburst

New in Town
It won't look perfect but stitch it yourself. The holes are already there, use a poly thread and just do a simple cross stitch. It will at least hold it together and stop it from getting worse.
I stitched it up myself today. It took about an hour, maybe a little longer. It doesn't look perfect, but it didn't come out too bad at all.

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
Hello again,

How come when I go into the classifieds section, I don't see any vintage hats for sale? It's all clothing.

Where can I find and buy vintage hats outside of eBay if not here?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waywardson