Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

newtojackets

Practically Family
I have a new pair of John Lofgrens. Last night someone spilled a beer on them and now their are darkened spots in the leather.

Is there a way to get rid of these or will these naturally fade / even out with time?

IMG_7630.jpeg

Olumin

New in Town
I have a vintage 50s fedora which doesn't fit quite right. Mostly because I'm a long oval and the hat is a regular oval. When I press on the sides of the hat while its on my head, it fits a lot more comfortably.

Is it possible to change a regular into a long oval? I believe the reed is wooden, if that helps.

Is it possible to change a regular into a long oval? I believe the reed is wooden, if that helps.
Yes, to a degree. You’ll need a hat jack/stretcher, a source of steam and some patience. You’ll be elongating the hat, so you’ll want to move slowly to protect that reed and to keep from distorting the brim. Only use steam on the outside of the hat, keeping it away from the leather sweat.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I have a vintage 50s fedora which doesn't fit quite right. Mostly because I'm a long oval and the hat is a regular oval. When I press on the sides of the hat while its on my head, it fits a lot more comfortably.

Sorry no one answered this: in the US we just had a major holiday.

I personally don't know any way to change a hat to a long oval except reblocking it. Maybe just a lot of head time? I am a regular oval and have shifted a number of long ovals to sit more comfortably just by wearing them often. A cheap front-back hat stretcher might help as well - i guess you would just want to put enough pressure on it to force the oval into a long shape without actually increasing the size.

Monte

A-List Customer
Those old sweats are built to last so stretching them is difficult, but not unheard of with a hat jack or stretcher. It can mess with the shape of the brim if done too strongly. We've all been there. Sometimes it works as u stretch more and more over time. Good luck.

Olumin

New in Town
Thanks all. Ive only worn it around a dozen times so far. Its possible it simply needs more head time to conform. I'm hesitant to use a stretcher on it, Im personally not the biggest fan of them. For now Ill just keep wearing it frequently. I can always try out a stretcher later.

Monte

A-List Customer
Thanks all. Ive only worn it around a dozen times so far. Its possible it simply needs more head time to conform. I'm hesitant to use a stretcher on it, Im personally not the biggest fan of them. For now Ill just keep wearing it frequently. I can always try out a stretcher later.
If it looks good and feels like you can live with it. Go on. If it hurts or visibly looks 'off', you can make a judgment call.

Do you know the shape of your head? You are not really stretching the hat if it is the right size for you just the wrong shape. If you know the shape you can cut yourself a band block out of 1" plank or plywood. Then when not wearing it slip in the band block and it will help conform the hat's shape to your head. I am a long oval and have a few stiff western weight hats. I use the band blocks to good effect to turn their regular oval into a long oval. If you don't want to cut the band block then a hat stretcher can replicate one just be cautious to not use it to stretch the hat.

Olumin

New in Town
Do you know the shape of your head? You are not really stretching the hat if it is the right size for you just the wrong shape. If you know the shape you can cut yourself a band block out of 1" plank or plywood. Then when not wearing it slip in the band block and it will help conform the hat's shape to your head. I am a long oval and have a few stiff western weight hats. I use the band blocks to good effect to turn their regular oval into a long oval. If you don't want to cut the band block then a hat stretcher can replicate one just be cautious to not use it to stretch the hat.
This sounds like a really good idea. How would I best go about transferring my head shape onto paper?

This sounds like a really good idea. How would I best go about transferring my head shape onto paper?
Go to Amazon and buy a Flex Curve, 36" (if your head is smaller than 7 1/4" you can get away with a 24". Get someone to wrap the Flex Curve around your head making sure to get a tight fit to the head (No gaps!). Gently slip it off your head and voila, you have your head shape. This achieves the same result that you would get by using an expensive conformateur. Use this as your template to cut the band block. Drilling 3 large holes for your fingers to ease placement in the hat.
flex curve1.jpg
flex curve 2.jpg
flex curve 3.jpg

Olumin

New in Town
Go to Amazon and buy a Flex Curve, 36" (if your head is smaller than 7 1/4" you can get away with a 24". Get someone to wrap the Flex Curve around your head making sure to get a tight fit to the head (No gaps!). Gently slip it off your head and voila, you have your head shape. This achieves the same result that you would get by using an expensive conformateur. Use this as your template to cut the band block. Drilling 3 large holes for your fingers to ease placement in the hat.
Fantastic idea, thank you!

Monte

A-List Customer
I have a new pair of John Lofgrens. Last night someone spilled a beer on them and now their are darkened spots in the leather.

Is there a way to get rid of these or will these naturally fade / even out with time?

View attachment 624266
They dont look that bad to me. I'm used water stains on my boots in the snowy seasons... adds character. Items on the ground tend to wear out and get weathered more rapidly. If they were mine I might take a damp rag after them and polish a little bit later, but that's a risk u may not take.

Jimmy__patt

New in Town
Hey, I'm new here, first time poster. I have a question, maybe someone can help. I just picked up this straw hat made by Dobbs. Could someone please tell me what decade it's from? It says made in Italy. Thanks in advance.

PS. Is it possible to reshape the hat? I would really like a center crease and a tear drop.

James

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    447 KB · Views: 11
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 15

newtojackets

Practically Family
They dont look that bad to me. I'm used water stains on my boots in the snowy seasons... adds character. Items on the ground tend to wear out and get weathered more rapidly. If they were mine I might take a damp rag after them and polish a little bit later, but that's a risk u may not take.
agreed, they are not terrible and I can definitely live with them. Ideally I would get rid of them.

I tried a damp rag, but like I said, if there's is nothing that will fix them I will accept it. Strange though as I thought CXL was extremely waterproof

Monte

A-List Customer
Hey, I'm new here, first time poster. I have a question, maybe someone can help. I just picked up this straw hat made by Dobbs. Could someone please tell me what decade it's from? It says made in Italy. Thanks in advance.

PS. Is it possible to reshape the hat? I would really like a center crease and a tear drop.

James
Reminds me of Rat Pack Era early '60s.

Attachments

• 9fa5714f16be2a2cf476637a3d7ae023.jpg
    9fa5714f16be2a2cf476637a3d7ae023.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 11

Mighty44

One Too Many

James

James
Beautiful hat—I would guess from the 1950s. I would not try and reshape this hat—I think you would only ruin it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bootsyd