Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

RickP

Practically Family
Seems Ive bumped in to somthing "Akubra" several times today.. Got to thinking I havent worn the old Stockman in a while... so on the head it goes!

This one had a couple rough spots on the brim edge when I picked it up... I trimmed it down to a 2-1/2" brim... Suits my sensibilities better than a bigger brim

Compress_20240915_171937_7260.jpg

Wade H

New in Town
I believe theres on on ebay right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/135244457858?_skw=akubra+silver+spur&itmmeta=01J7VTSB27S7B5NQGYA8TF5RKJ&hash=item1f7d32a782:g:b2YAAOSw6lFm2cfO&itmprp=enc:AQAJAAAA0HoV3kP08IDx+KZ9MfhVJKn5vZAgH2NOSHHR1S7x2SilwFnKsAUrPZZIuIamManEYvH+UYZ1+e8OwtnSuy2wsoZRNBLkP3LbdDe4jphik7V+v2awaytnZFScftYJ/C4fsuCKpmH4ptbEGnFdL9xXrWlIS/JTMmLIa+oykqLuyUkVCz9SLfzAuNQg9TVd5DOUvkZU25jYwSjaDgB79kPKXtvf+44HuzTZlC5nPD2eT1zMPkldTJkZZklypg1LZ9fmIIjuk9o59oZe5u+p1efdohE=|tkp:Bk9SR5ix5fq-ZA

As its an Akubra with Imperial fur, its a known quality and a solid hat. the one on ebay does look like its a wider brim (maybe 3-ish "wide?). Looks a lot like the brim on my Akubra Lawson which is a 3". Also looks like someone tried to do a kettle curl on it that will either need a bit of work to restore curl, flatten it out, or trim the brim down a bit to civilize some wavyness
Thanks. That's the one I'm looking at. As long as it isn't too much longer than 3" it will probably work. I definitely don't want the curl but that could be ironed/steamed out. Looking for a good trustworthy hiking hat. Looks like you cut the brim on your. How did you go about getting it clean and round?

RickP

Practically Family
Thanks. That's the one I'm looking at. As long as it isn't too much longer than 3" it will probably work. I definitely don't want the curl but that could be ironed/steamed out. Looking for a good trustworthy hiking hat. Looks like you cut the brim on your. How did you go about getting it clean and round?
Ive got a couple of brim cutters (M&F brand in 1/8" and 1/2") Theyre pretty easy to make a neat cut, even if steering around a damaged edge. They have a curved slot that the brim edge rides nicely in. ( as long as it not a bound edge... they can be a bit snug in the slot) Basically slide the brim into the base, pop the blade down and carefully trim away. Way easier than trying to keep an exacto blade straight. Honestly Ive used some of my leather tools to cut felt. Some of then are extraordinarily easy to cut straight with.... just have to be good at sharpening

If youre looking for a solid outdoors hat, That SIlver Spur should be great. To me it looks like its a 3" if not even larger. If the edge curl doesnt steam out real easy, you can always trim an 1/8" off at a time till you like it. If you dont want to buy a cutter, most western wear stores like Cavendars will trim brims for free.

If thats the same hat, its not a bad price... hat looks like its in nice shape except for the curled edge... Id Grab it!

RickP

Practically Family
High temps are finally down in the 70s, I wore my Angler doing some field mowing this afternoon. I also cut the plastic tip liner out. It seems less hot on my head, but I'm not sure if that's all in my head.
View attachment 640059
View attachment 640058 View attachment 640057
Nice hat... I agree about cutting the clear liner out... here in east texas, its just way too warm for a plastic lining... that and when they get old they have an irritating crinkle sound effect... Ive removed almost all the liners in my older hats (except for a few that actually had the logo printed on the cellophane... I left then alone)

RickP

Practically Family
Picked this little gem up on ebay yesterday all the way from Down Under. Marked as an "East Coast" model. Nice dark green Imperial fur, Bound edge 2" brim. Over time Ive found more than a few Akubras in Austrailia from either ebay or the Salvation Army store. Have found some nice hats that evidently were only sold over there.. fun to find something Ive never seen in the wild here. This must be a green month... this is the second green Akubra Ive grabbed this month. ( plus a mint green Stetson Gay Prince) Now I can sit back a wait to see how long it takes to get here. Last couple Austrailian hats made it to US in about a week and then wandered around inside the us for 2-3 weeks lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256619298863

RickP

Practically Family
Got another keeper in today! Its some flavor of "Akubra exclusive for Outback Trading Company" hat. Cant make out all the embossing on the front, but I can almost make out "Sidney- something, and the number 1975 below it. Not sure if thats the year or a model name. So if anyone knows what it was Im all ears.

Grommet vents on the sides. It was a big boy.... a bit almost 3-3/4" brim. (bigger than my Lawson and just plain too big for my needs) Has a raw edge so I Trimmed it to 2-7/8 brim.... PERFECT! Slightly lighter shade of green with a tad bit more grey than the Lawson next to it. Really nice color Imperial fur felt. The old Lawson still has its original 3-1/8" bound brim edge, so the new one is JUST a hair trimmer... Looks like a full 6"" tall crown without the bash so Ill resist any temptation to make it more dress hat-like.. just too tall for the brim to be any narrower. I need a few wider sun hats for the sake of my delicate neck anyway lol

Did some steaming for wrinkle remediation, wavy brim straightening, and it will need a bit more work on the crown and bash, but it was clean and havent found any stains or damage anywhere... just a touch of embossing removal on the sweat from honest forehead wear. Someone wore it and took good care. This one goes on the "keeper" wall. Will be a great fall and winter outdoors hat. Ill sand the corners of the newly trimmed edge soon, but thats enough fun for one day!

Compress_20240916_124224_4554.jpg
Compress_20240916_130143_3682.jpg
Compress_20240916_124224_4117.jpg
Compress_20240916_124223_3786.jpg
Compress_20240916_124742_2059.jpg

Denton

A-List Customer
Picked this little gem up on ebay yesterday all the way from Down Under. Marked as an "East Coast" model. Nice dark green Imperial fur, Bound edge 2" brim. Over time Ive found more than a few Akubras in Austrailia from either ebay or the Salvation Army store. Have found some nice hats that evidently were only sold over there.. fun to find something Ive never seen in the wild here. This must be a green month... this is the second green Akubra Ive grabbed this month. ( plus a mint green Stetson Gay Prince) Now I can sit back a wait to see how long it takes to get here. Last couple Austrailian hats made it to US in about a week and then wandered around inside the us for 2-3 weeks lol

https://www.ebay.com/itm/256619298863
What do you think of the 1950s date? Akubra has been making hats for some time, but older Akubras don't seem to show up very often, and we don't seem to have a timeline of different stages in the history of their hats (as we do for other hat makers).

RickP

Practically Family
What do you think of the 1950s date? Akubra has been making hats for some time, but older Akubras don't seem to show up very often, and we don't seem to have a timeline of different stages in the history of their hats (as we do for other hat makers).
Im a bit skeptical of a 1950s date too, but one never knows... Ive found more than one hat coming directly out of OZ that Ive not see over here, and some looked like they were new/ old stock and were in OLD boxes

Reactions: CRH

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1