Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Overload

One Drop

One of the Regulars
Concerning the price hike: If the quality remains the same then I don't see a problem. The price on everything has gone up. But let's hope the new owners don't cut quality while raising the price just to make a buck. That would be shame. I think it's okay to pay more for a product we like in order to support a business we admire. Bur like I said-the quality has to remain. Otherwise, customers such as ourselves will leave in droves. Also, I would say that most of know quality when we see it. So that could be a positive thing. It wouldn't make much sense for a company to cut production costs knowing that their customers will noti ce the cuts right away. Does that make sense? Asking sincerely.

Yes. Personally I doubt they will cut quality, they have too many repeat and long time customers in Oz that wear their hards very hard, and it would become common knowledge quickly if quality fell off.

Lean'n'mean

I'll Lock Up
Concerning the price hike: If the quality remains the same then I don't see a problem. The price on everything has gone up. But let's hope the new owners don't cut quality while raising the price just to make a buck. That would be shame. I think it's okay to pay more for a product we like in order to support a business we admire. Bur like I said-the quality has to remain. Otherwise, customers such as ourselves will leave in droves. Also, I would say that most of know quality when we see it. So that could be a positive thing. It wouldn't make much sense for a company to cut production costs knowing that their customers will noti ce the cuts right away. Does that make sense? Asking sincerely.
When an investment company takes over a well established brand, there is usually a drop in quality. Akubra may well follow the same route as other renowned hat manufacturers such as Borsalino, where production costs are cut, quantity increased, part of production often moved abroad & retail outlets multiplied. The only hope is that TATTARANG is Australian (& so probably understand the importance of Akubra's reputation) & after buying RM Williams in 2020, they have since brought back some production to OZ after the previous owners moved it offshore.
In the meantime, those who have older Akubras would be wise to take extra care of them & not presume there will be replacements of equal quality, at least until we know which direction production will eventually take.

RickP

Practically Family
Yes! It's made it through 5 seasons and is still in remarkably good shape. Akubras are pretty indestructible and I rotate my hats frequently.
My Akubra Lawson dates to 2011-2012-ish . Its never been abused, but has been soaked and sweat stained several times. It has amazed me how well its held up all these years. My very first Akubra, and the best thing my ex wife ever gave me. There have been several Akubras on my wall over time and they have survived admirably well

Compress_20240813_120025_5681.jpg

Wade H

New in Town
I'm looking at buying an old Akubra Silver Spur. I know it's no longer made, but I can't seem to find anything that talks about brim width. It looks fairly wide. I'm hoping that someone here has one can can tell me the measurements. Thanks in advance.

RickP

Practically Family
I'm looking at buying an old Akubra Silver Spur. I know it's no longer made, but I can't seem to find anything that talks about brim width. It looks fairly wide. I'm hoping that someone here has one can can tell me the measurements. Thanks in advance.
I believe theres on on ebay right now https://www.ebay.com/itm/1352444578...fmIIjuk9o59oZe5u+p1efdohE=|tkp:Bk9SR5ix5fq-ZA

As its an Akubra with Imperial fur, its a known quality and a solid hat. the one on ebay does look like its a wider brim (maybe 3-ish "wide?). Looks a lot like the brim on my Akubra Lawson which is a 3". Also looks like someone tried to do a kettle curl on it that will either need a bit of work to restore curl, flatten it out, or trim the brim down a bit to civilize some wavyness

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1