Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Your Most Disturbing Realizations

You get fined $500 if they catch you doing it here. Pretty expensive price to pay for that update on Brexpitt.

"Brexpitt -" nice. I got that one wrong twice. First, I didn't think their marriage or relationship (I guess they only got officially married a few years ago) would have lasted ten minutes (I gave it 3 months to a year) and, then, when it was going for over a decade, I figured, they were good to go that, somehow, all the craziness, ego and narcissism harmonized. Yup, wrong twice about them.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Brexpitt -" nice. I got that one wrong twice. First, I didn't think their marriage or relationship (I guess they only got officially married a few years ago) would have lasted ten minutes (I gave it 3 months to a year) and, then, when it was going for over a decade, I figured, they were good to go that, somehow, all the craziness, ego and narcissism harmonized. Yup, wrong twice about them.

Today's NY Post has the most hilarious front page I've ever seen. Somewhere, Bernarr Macfadden is smiling.

Today's NY Post has the most hilarious front page I've ever seen. Somewhere, Bernarr Macfadden is smiling.

Don't get the Macfadden reference, but I Googled the cover - perfect, absolutely, positively perfect. She got kicked to the curb hard and publicly, kept it all together and has had a nice career and, hopefully, life without him.

Macfadden was the publisher of New York's most scrofulous tabloid paper ever, the "Evening Graphic" of the 1920s, which specialized in lurid celebrity gossip and believed firmly in celebrity schadenfreude. He would have loved the Post's page.

Makes perfect sense. And, yes, kudos to the post for the Jen angle - beyond perfect.

I love tabloid papers - they are all over the place, they are a giant mess, but sometimes they get it right / sometimes they cut through all the PC or all the social niceties and say exactly what the truth is.

I will admit to picking up the Daily News from time to time -- sometimes it really hits the spot.

Before I moved to on-line reading, I bought the WSJ, NYT and Daily News everyday (and the Post every other day). Now I read the NYT and WSJ, but don't enjoy the tabloids online.

On-line, they've tried to recreate the "busy" layout style of the physical paper and I can't stand it - I can't get them organized in my head and find it jarring. I've all but given up on them for that reason, but if we were still in the physical world, I'd be a regular reader.

And beyond all the crazy and the, sometimes, spot on reporting and cutting through the cr*p that they can do so well, in NYC, they had the best sport pages - with truly talented sportswriters. Also, really good comic pages and surprisingly well-written Op/Ed pages.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My favorite weekend treat as a teenager was to go up to the drugstore and get a copy of the Sunday News and a Coke, and sit on the steps and read the funnies -- our local paper had a very anemic comic section, so it was a big kick to get Dick Tracy, Orphan Annie, Gasoline Alley, Moon Mullins, and all the rest. It being the seventies, they even had a strip starring Woody Allen as himself. Surreal.

Hm, I liked to get to little-towns central old classic paper-shop and get one of the car-magazines and went back home, to sit on one of the sunny or shadowy bench seats at our edge of town. It was nice to read, forget the world around me and feel, like you would directly be with the testers on the track.

It being the Nineties. :D

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
I’m fortunate to have small towns around the city that are “locked” into the past.
They are my retreat on the weekends away from the tension of work in the big city.

One shop sells Coca~Cola & Dr. Pepper that comes in glass bottles for 5¢.
The only catch is you cannot buy in large amounts to take out.
But I don’t mind.
The place is very relaxing and comfortable with wood rocking chairs
on the porch and everywhere is just old wood, no modern structures.
I forget that it’s a shoe shop.

Shave & haircut at an old fashion barber shop relaxing in the barber chair
is the best tonic for me.
I usually don’t eat much at one sitting, but I make an exception on weekends at the
local diner where the food is prepared fresh. No fast foods on the weekends.
Another stop is the library, old book stores and music shops that have records.
I usually stock on the paperbacks from the ‘70s.
Also photo/historical hard cover books from all periods.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
My holiday home decorations this year.
34jcbnr.jpg

Thanks to the “BFM”. :mad:

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
My holiday home decorations this year.
34jcbnr.jpg

Thanks to the “BFM”. :mad:
Christmas in October, has someone had a lobotomy or something? Christmas, in any form be it religious or otherwise should be banned in all forms until at least the middle of November.
"Bah Humbug" did I hear someone say? You need to bend over, I may be able to here you better then!

Hm, my childhood isn't far from now. For example, take the year 1994. I was ten, classic childhood-year and it doesn't feel long ago. It feels still like yesterday. But, in 2024, 1994 will be 30 years ago. Eeeh, what? Is my calculation right?? o_O

;)

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Hm, my childhood isn't far from now. For example, take the year 1994. I was ten, classic childhood-year and it doesn't feel long ago. It feels still like yesterday. But, in 2024, 1994 will be 30 years ago. Eeeh, what? Is my calculation right??

Go ride a bike or something.
Concentrate on establishing good memories.

If or when you get to retirement age,
like it or not,
these thoughts about aging will come at you.

Enjoy the moment while you still can. :D

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiredGun