Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why!!!! Hipsters!!! Why!!!!!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Ok, here we go. I hate the 70s but I recognize there were some good rock and roll. Name one? Bob Seger - Old time r'n'r;

"Just take those old records off the shelf
I'll sit and listen to 'em by myself
Today's music ain't got the same soul
I like that old time rock and roll! "

Another favorite of mine is "Shambala" by "Three Dog Night" or "Alright now" by Free, "Can't get enough" by Bad Company. There were glam rock like "Get it on" by T Rex. You had Lynyrd Skynyrd with "Sweet home Alabama".

During the 1970s ZZTop published "Tres Hombres" album with "La Grange" song. Not exactly rock and roll but good enough.

And let's have it clear that I still hate the 1970s!

Hate the '70's? One would first have to acknowledge their existence.

As for that Seeger number, it had already been done, and better too:

[video=youtube_share;UB9G_nLrshY]http://youtu.be/UB9G_nLrshY[/video]

Guy Lombardo and the boys, 1948

Flicka

One Too Many
I thought that hipster bands played "hipster music". Another different thing would be a hipster guy playing classic rock.

But what IS hipster music? The answer is "music that people generally called hipster listen to". The closest "traditional" label would probably be "alternative" as in alternative rock, twee, folk etc. Obviously Black Keys who are sorta poster boys for "hipster music" sounds very little like Bright Eyes who also made the list of worst hipster music someone posted if I remember correctly. And neither sound like Band of Horses to me. [huh]

That's why I asked. Because I have absolutely no idea what you peeps mean by "hipster", let alone "hipster music". It feels pretty much like "hipster" is bandied around here more like a pejorative than an actual description so it's pretty hard to tell.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
But what IS hipster music?

I couldn't give my point of view. I'm totally new to the whole hipster concept.[huh] I thought there were some kind of "hipster music", just like punks had their own "punk rock music".

The more developed is a social movement, the more cultural expressions they have. Sometimes you think there is too much background behind this kind of movements and then it happens there is none.

When somebody talked about gentrification processes before, I was thinking in the Bohemianism in France during the late 19th century. Probably I was going too far :p

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
r

That's why I asked. Because I have absolutely no idea what you peeps mean by "hipster", let alone "hipster music". It feels pretty much like "hipster" is bandied around here more like a pejorative than an actual description so it's pretty hard to tell.

You make an excellent point. Many here point to "Hipster" as being anything that they don't personally care for. In that spirit, I would define "Hipster Music" as:

"All of that worthless caterwauling including electric guitar that has plagued popular music since the 1950s, which is annoying, profoundly unmusical, and should never have been produced in the first place, and the enjoyment of which is self-evidently diagnostic of congenital iodine deficiency syndrome in the listener."

Now, can we return to the discussion of vintage (that is pre-electric guitar trash) music?;)

I'd like to hear folks discuss fine, serious stuff, like "Yaaka-Hula-Hickey-Doola" or "Why Aren't Yez Eatin' More Oranges".

teafortwo1922

New in Town
I dont mind them at all cause my brother is one. I dont like it that they dont understand the true vintage. My brother dose and you can talk to him for hours on end about the vintage stuff

Flicka

One Too Many
You make an excellent point. Many here point to "Hipster" as being anything that they don't personally care for. In that spirit, I would define "Hipster Music" as:

"All of that worthless caterwauling including electric guitar that has plagued popular music since the 1950s, which is annoying, profoundly unmusical, and should never have been produced in the first place, and the enjoyment of which is self-evidently diagnostic of congenital iodine deficiency syndrome in the listener."

Now, can we return to the discussion of vintage (that is pre-electric guitar trash) music?;)

I'd like to hear folks discuss fine, serious stuff, like "Yaaka-Hula-Hickey-Doola" or "Why Aren't Yez Eatin' More Oranges".

Or "She Pushed Me Into the Parlor"? :)

Anyway, I have a huge thing for early Medieval polyphonies. That's vintage, right? Or is it even "antique"?

Or "She Pushed Me Into the Parlor"? :)

Anyway, I have a huge thing for early Medieval polyphonies. That's vintage, right? Or is it even "antique"?

Definitely antique. Vintage, by its definition, would cover anything from 1912 to 1987. :D

And now back to the vintage music...

Helge Lindbergs Crystal Band -- En ar för Liten och en är för Stor (1928)
(One Is Too Small And Too Big)

[video=youtube;6hbKBYlJaEs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hbKBYlJaEs[/video]

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender

Even if that was good, I wouldn't like it.

Flicka

One Too Many
Definitely antique. Vintage, by its definition, would cover anything from 1912 to 1987. :D

And now back to the vintage music...

Helge Lindbergs Crystal Band -- En ar för Liten och en är för Stor (1928)
(One Is Too Small And Too Big)

[video=youtube;6hbKBYlJaEs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hbKBYlJaEs[/video]

Wonderful lyrics: "En är för liten och en är för stor/Ingen kan tro att han är min bror" (One is too big and one is too small/No one would believe he's my brother) I have absolutely no idea what it's about! :D

More Swedish:

[video=youtube_share;SLCWjyS7A7U]http://youtu.be/SLCWjyS7A7U[/video]

But what IS hipster music? The answer is "music that people generally called hipster listen to". The closest "traditional" label would probably be "alternative" as in alternative rock, twee, folk etc. Obviously Black Keys who are sorta poster boys for "hipster music" sounds very little like Bright Eyes who also made the list of worst hipster music someone posted if I remember correctly. And neither sound like Band of Horses to me. [huh]

The Black Keys have had a following for many years. Mark Lanegan was a Screaming Tree eons ago for many many years. Interesting how easily the label of "hipster" can be slapped upon a band.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82