Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Bye Bye Miss American Pie

This thread has lasted longer than that song.:eek:

Actually if the song was correct it would have been; "took my Chevy to the levy but the Chevy died. The alternator went and said good-bye, pile crap and a lousy buy. This is the day it died, this is the day that it died":rage:

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
There are several interpretations of that song. The 50s being better is no where near any of them. In short the two which make the most sense are that 1.)It's about the deaths in a plane crash of some 1950s rock stars in 1959 (Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens) or 2.) The song's refrain, "bye, bye Miss American pie" really meant "bye, bye AMERICA".
I doubt that Don Mclean meant anything beyond the death of the three rock stars. He was too much of a long haired hippie in 1971 to get quite beyond music icons. He mentions the Beatles for goodness sake! :eusa_doh:
Here's a video so you can understand what a real hippie song it was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZSj4xsyZo
This is up there with stuff by Country Joe for goodness sake. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

lighter.jpg

(waves arm back and forth)

Everybody!

(silence)
(looks around)

Um...anyone have a cigarette?

pretty faythe

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
There are several interpretations of that song. The 50s being better is no where near any of them. In short the two which make the most sense are that 1.)It's about the deaths in a plane crash of some 1950s rock stars in 1959 (Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens) or 2.) The song's refrain, "bye, bye Miss American pie" really meant "bye, bye AMERICA".
I doubt that Don Mclean meant anything beyond the death of the three rock stars. He was too much of a long haired hippie in 1971 to get quite beyond music icons. He mentions the Beatles for goodness sake! :eusa_doh:
Here's a video so you can understand what a real hippie song it was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZSj4xsyZo
This is up there with stuff by Country Joe for goodness sake. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

What my History of Rock and Roll Text Book states the meaning of the song is that it is the day the music died. February 3, 1959. RIP Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper".

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
pretty faythe said:
What my History of Rock and Roll Text Book states the meaning of the song is that it is the day the music died. February 3, 1959. RIP Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and "The Big Bopper".

A postscript to that song is the 1980s punk masterpiece by the UK Subhumans, THE DAY THE COUNTRY DIED. Amazing cover art, I'll post it if no one else does.

You can take the man out of the Doctor Martens and put him in 1920s neckties and cufflinks, but you can't take the immense punk vinyl collection out of his heart or house (or something like that).

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Feraud said:
Wow. It feels like this thread has continued longer than the 70s itself. :deadhorse

Nice avatar, Feraud. You are a dashingly handsome man. I would be afraid to show your picture to my wife. And I agree, this thread has reached Iliadic length (but not quality).

RedPop4

One Too Many
pretty faythe said:
American Pie ALSO meant........................

..........................waaaaaaaaaaait for iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiitttttt..............

..................Don McLean NEVER had to write another freaking song to be a rich man.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
what else is good from the 70s

the Six Million Dollar Man...
Now, I was just watching some Fuse TV, and the new Bowling For Soup video was on, can't recall the name of the song, and Lee Majors was playing his dad.
Fisrt thought was, is that the Fall Guy? Hey, thats the Six Million Dollar Man playing his dad!!

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
But, Ms. Hadley, a number of us were born during that decade! Does that mean you'd want to be rid of us, too? I for one am hurt, positively slashed to the bone, I tell you...

:cry: *sobbing*

Oh no!!! but it is not the politics that I dislike from the 80s ;)
It's the fashion and music and things like that...you know, all those TV soap operas like "Dynasty",the punk musical groups like the "Sex Pistols" and "Kiss" etc... It's not the people that were born during that decade. [huh] :)

HadleyH said:
Oh no!!! but it is not the politics that I dislike from the 80s ;)
It's the fashion and music and things like that...you know, all those TV soap operas like "Dynasty",the punk musical groups like the "Sex Pistols" and "Kiss" etc... It's not the people that were born during that decade. [huh] :)

Dynasty? You should love that. It was the best dressed show on TV and still is compared to what is on now. Aaron Spelling used to complain about the clothing budget and in particular about Amanda's wedding episode---"It costs more to film and clothe than if I were to pay for my own daughter's wedding." ;) :p

Regards,

J

P.S. KISS was from the 70s by the way. I have no idea about said pistols though.[huh]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82