Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
Not yet, but I did have an "is there anything you liked about the 70s" angle in here trying to tone down the negativity a little. (Not that I really liked much myself, just trying to cut down on the bile a little.)
Okay,...I'll concede that some of the music was good. I liked, and still like, Yes, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Al Stewart, Roxy Music, U.K., Brian Auger, Genesis, and Return to Forever, to name a few.
(But I will always despise disco and polyester. :mad: )

J.S.Udontknowme

A-List Customer
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Okay,...I'll concede that some of the music was good. I liked, and still like, Yes, Emerson, Lake, and Palmer, Al Stewart, Roxy Music, U.K., Brian Auger, Genesis, and Return to Forever, to name a few.

I kept doing what I had been doing and just ignored disco and polyester. lol

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Maj.Nick Danger said:
you dont wannna be a macho macho man staying at the YMCA???? :p

Salv said:
I don't think it's quite that simple with youth cults though. Of the youth cultures that I mentioned it's only the hippies who were ever concerned with being a counterculture. The well established and recognizable British youth cults - Teds, Mods, rockers, skinheads, soulboys, punks, casuals, New Romantics - were not strictly opposed to mainstream culture, but were instead simply not interested in the mainstream - it seems to me they truly are/were subcultures rather than countercultures.

Wait a minute. So if I hate hippies but don't care about the others then I am counter counter culture so it makes me mainstream?! :eek: :p
Again, your version of the 70s and hippies is shaded by where you were. In another country or state for that matter, you could never understand how horrible it was. Black Panthers carrying shotguns around roving the streets daring the police to make a move and cause a huge riot, Hippies taking over college campuses and even Alcatraz disrupting everyday life for a majority of the people. Long gas lines, rationing of various types, double digit inflation and a string of three complete idiots as president. It was no picnic.
The clothes and music were minor in comparison. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Salv

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
Wait a minute. So if I hate hippies but don't care about the others then I am counter counter culture so it makes me mainstream?! :eek: :p
Ummmm ... sounds about right.
jamespowers said:
Again, your version of the 70s and hippies is shaded by where you were. In another country or state for that matter, you could never understand how horrible it was. Black Panthers carrying shotguns around roving the streets daring the police to make a move and cause a huge riot, Hippies taking over college campuses and even Alcatraz disrupting everyday life for a majority of the people. Long gas lines, rationing of various types, double digit inflation and a string of three complete idiots as president. It was no picnic.

Regards,

J

Everyone's version of the 70s is shaded by where they were and, more importantly, who they were.

And you think you had problems in the US - in the UK, apart from the annoyance of the three-day working week, brought about by coal and oil shortages, we had the very real danger of the Provisional IRA on a bombing and murdering spree that killed dozens and injured hundreds (how many people did the Black Panthers kill?). I was far more likely to be killed by a terrorist than anybody living in America was in the 70s, but that didn't stop me living and enjoying my life.

Salv said:
Ummmm ... sounds about right.

Everyone's version of the 70s is shaded by where they were and, more importantly, who they were.

And you think you had problems in the US - in the UK, apart from the annoyance of the three-day working week, brought about by coal and oil shortages, we had the very real danger of the Provisional IRA on a bombing and murdering spree that killed dozens and injured hundreds (how many people did the Black Panthers kill?). I was far more likely to be killed by a terrorist than anybody living in America was in the 70s, but that didn't stop me living and enjoying my life.

The number that the Black Panthers killed is really up in the air. It just depends on who you ask and where you look.
I am glad you could be so blase about the times. More power to you.
It was not a time I want to relive again any time soon.

Regards,

J

sarah smith

New in Town
jamespowers said:

Regards,

J

How is it any different than today? Today we have gangs, riots, various groups taking over college campuses, prison riots, extreme prices on gas, rising inflation, a war, and an president whom some call an idoit...

sarah smith said:
How is it any different than today? Today we have gangs, riots, various groups taking over college campuses, prison riots, extreme prices on gas, rising inflation, a war, and an idiot president...

lol lol I suppose it is the degree. You can still get gas at any station you want. You just have to pay for it---by the way, adjusted for inflation, the gas price today is still cheaper than back then.
Gangs and riots aren't on the news every night.
We haven't had to call out the national guard to throw out hippies taking over a college campus in years around here.
Inflation is nowhere near double digits today---in fact, very low single digits.
There is a war but no one is being drafted to go who didn't volunteer.
The president borders on political discussion but I can agree with you on about 50% there.
Not exactly the same---not even close. [huh]

Regards,

J

Salv

One Too Many
jamespowers said:
The number that the Black Panthers killed is really up in the air. It just depends on who you ask and where you look.
I am glad you could be so blase about the times. More power to you.
It was not a time I want to relive again any time soon.

Regards,

J

If you consider it blase to compare the threat you faced from the Black Panther Party to the threat I faced from the Provisional IRA, then more power to you, too. I got on with my life, it's a shame you couldn't do the same.

Ben

One of the Regulars
Doran said:
A miracle of transsubstantiation: in America, no one -- I mean no one reads Aeschylus anymore, even in translation, because he is not taught anymore; and there are classes offered in most universities, including the top ones, in Madonna and hip-hop.

Aww, that's not true. NYU has a course with Aeschylus:

http://www.nyu.edu/fas/dept/classics/undergrad/courseofferings.html

So does Tufts:

http://ase.tufts.edu/classics/courseguide/fall2007.pdf

University of Chicago has him in the Theatre department:

http://ut.uchicago.edu/fall2007.shtml

I spent some time talking with one of my former Classics professors last weekend at the University of Pittsburgh and apparently there has been an up swing in people interested in Classical studies. All is not lost.

Also, the 70s had Jimi Hendrix, Apollo-Soyuz, and the birth of the muppets.

Salv said:
If you consider it blase to compare the threat you faced from the Black Panther Party to the threat I faced from the Provisional IRA, then more power to you, too. I got on with my life, it's a shame you couldn't do the same.

I do just fine thanks. :rolleyes: I am way beyond the 1970s and figuring out ways I can bend them to make them sound nostalgic. :eusa_doh: They stunk. Period. :(

Regards,

J

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I am sure that Salv just wonders about the wisdom of people arguing for 45 pages and finding fault in anyone who found anything good in another era....

Total waste of time really...but then again...some of us must have too much of that.:rolleyes:

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Aeschylus

Ben said:
Aww, that's not true. NYU has a course with Aeschylus:
I spent some time talking with one of my former Classics professors last weekend at the University of Pittsburgh and apparently there has been an up swing in people interested in Classical studies. All is not lost.

Agreed. :)

...and it is by our own hand, not by others, are we now struck.

Aeschylus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82