Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why do I hate the 1970s so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absinthe_1900 said:
Now if I could find a nice 71 / 72 urethane bumper for a reasonable price for my oldtimer, I'd be happy camper with mine. The original was damaged, and I made an ill advised descision to replace it with a chrome bumper.

Oh, I forgot to mention, for the bumper try Ohio Mustang supply. They have stuff for the 70s Mustangs that no one else carries---in my experience. Where else can you find the shoulder belt plastic hanger for over the door? ;)

Regards,

J

Rafter

Suspended
Lincsong said:
:eek: Nasty, '73 Malibu, whatever they called the mid-sized Pontiac, Cutlass and Skylarks. All spelled OLD LADY!

The mid-sized Pontiac you're referring to was the Lemans.
Look at it in all it's '74 glory. This was no "old lady"!!

F6778.jpg

Marc Chevalier said:
Wait a minute ... stop the presses!

If you, JP, hate the '70s so much, then why do you allow the presence of a '70s car in your own household? :eek:

I actually have two and in the family is more correct. I have a 75 Cadillac Eldorado that used to be my mothers and the 73 Mach 1 that used to be my cousin's. They were both more or less free----exactly what they are worth. In fact, I just got done spending $1,600 on the Cadillac and the A/C and heater still isn't working right. Sauna bath anyone? :eusa_doh:
As I said before--Ah 70s automotive engineering. :eusa_doh: I think they hired the monkeys from the Samsonite commercials to build the cars back then. :rolleyes:

Regards,

J

P.S. I know you get one more post toward 10,000 if you respond but I couldn't help myself. :p

About the only good things about the '70s I know of: pre-EPA muscle cars, Star Wars (not an in-depth cultist like some, but it helped pave the way for modern FX technology, so gets some respect), the rise of Reagan, and some folks who were born during that decade.

Oh, and that it was the time when one of my profs got his chance to defect from the ComBloc to the USA.

So, let's try a new tack: is there anything you actually like from the '70s?

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Liked: Strategy & Tactics Magazine (the original w/the game in each issue), Digital watches, turning 18 years old, Lori Anderson (until she went away to college and that was that), and learning to play AC/DC on electric guitar.

dean

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Rafter said:
The mid-sized Pontiac you're referring to was the Lemans.
Look at it in all it's '74 glory. This was no "old lady"!!

F6778.jpg

If you had quoted what I actually posted; the four-door cars people would see the "granny" styling of those models. Now since you are so adept at finding the two-door models, let's see those "Blue Haired" four doors that I originally commented on.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Diamondback said:
About the only good things about the '70s I know of: pre-EPA muscle cars, Star Wars (not an in-depth cultist like some, but it helped pave the way for modern FX technology, so gets some respect), the rise of Reagan, and some folks who were born during that decade.

Oh, and that it was the time when one of my profs got his chance to defect from the ComBloc to the USA.

So, let's try a new tack: is there anything you actually like from the '70s?

Hmmmm; The 1969-1971 Lincoln Continental Mark III, the 1969-1971 Thunderbird, the 1972-1976 Continental Mark IV and Thunderbird (same car, different grill) and the 1977-1979 Continental Mark V.

Marc Chevalier said:
What about that '70s song about how much better the '50s were: "Bye bye Miss American Pie ..."

There are several interpretations of that song. The 50s being better is no where near any of them. In short the two which make the most sense are that 1.)It's about the deaths in a plane crash of some 1950s rock stars in 1959 (Buddy Holly, The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens) or 2.) The song's refrain, "bye, bye Miss American pie" really meant "bye, bye AMERICA".
I doubt that Don Mclean meant anything beyond the death of the three rock stars. He was too much of a long haired hippie in 1971 to get quite beyond music icons. He mentions the Beatles for goodness sake! :eusa_doh:
Here's a video so you can understand what a real hippie song it was:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOZSj4xsyZo
This is up there with stuff by Country Joe for goodness sake. :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82