Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
My red shirt isn't the issue, though I haven't worn red since that day, I believe. But look at Mrs. Dickie's dress (one of my favourite teachers)! And the socks and leggings! Joseph's technicolour dream coat can't beat them!

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
MisterCairo said:
My red shirt isn't the issue, though I haven't worn red since that day, I believe. But look at Mrs. Dickie's dress (one of my favourite teachers)! And the socks and leggings! Joseph's technicolour dream coat can't beat them!

I think Mrs. Dickie is a hottie!!!
icon14.gif

Further, as a society and as fashionable and stylish people we were looking for an identity between the monotone 50's and the psychedelic 60's. There may have been a boomerang effect regarding the aforementioned, so some clothes were not very attractive; each decade has it's own "Edsels"

I had Red cowboy boots I got my chops busted not for the color but because I wore cowboy boots. I am from an inner city setting. I still wear cowboy boots.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I had a crush on Mrs. Dickie. SHE was a hottie.

That DRESS? Not so much.

The colour and pattern more than the cut. Not everything in the 70s was awful, but the extremes - lapel and tie width, garish colour schemes, bell bottoms, denim everything and everywhere.

Now the 80s, when I was a teen and young adult. THAT was a decade for fashion! Cargo and painters' pants. Leg warmers. Skinny leather ties (guilty as charged). Pink tartan patterns on white sweaters. Pics to follow!

MisterCairo said:
I'd have to vote for the 1970s. I was just a little kid, but when I look back at photos from our birthday parties, and see what my mum and the neighbours were wearing - GHASTLY!!!

It was indeed ghastly to say the least. Leisure suits, bad hair, suits with bell bottom pants, polyester everywhere, ties wider than dinner napkins and twice as thick, inflation like crazy, gas lines...well you get the idea. :rolleyes: It was a lost decade for style. :eusa_doh:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
jamespowers said:
It was indeed ghastly to say the least. Leisure suits, bad hair, suits with bell bottom pants, polyester everywhere, ties wider than dinner napkins and twice as thick, inflation like crazy, gas lines...well you get the idea. :rolleyes: It was a lost decade for style. :eusa_doh:

Mr. Powers, if you wouldn't mind, I'm curious about the width of the 1970s ties. What exactly does it look like, compared to say, a 1940s tie, or even just a modern one? Do you personally own one that you can compare it to another tie of a different era? From all of the descriptions I've read, it seems they're overly large and wide... now just how did they go from the thin ties of the 60s to the very wide ones of the 70s...? Makes you wonder why they thought they looked better in the first place.

R.A. Stewart

Familiar Face
Viola said:
Prefer the hippies. Don't want to be one, but they're probably more fun to hang out with for a weekend. Remind me of my folks. There's nothing cool about them to me, but I don't hate my parents. lol

Much appreciated. :) (From an old hippie who is probably a contemporary of your parents.)

~Rich the Geezer

Geesie

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
The sixties are romanticized by many to the point of fantasy.

There was acually a lot less "FREE LOVE" going around than portrayed.

Do I detect a note of regret?

J B said:
Mr. Powers, if you wouldn't mind, I'm curious about the width of the 1970s ties. What exactly does it look like, compared to say, a 1940s tie, or even just a modern one? Do you personally own one that you can compare it to another tie of a different era? From all of the descriptions I've read, it seems they're overly large and wide... now just how did they go from the thin ties of the 60s to the very wide ones of the 70s...? Makes you wonder why they thought they looked better in the first place.

To me extra wide ties of the '70s are somewhat reminiscent of Victorian era neckwear, particularly from the 1880s, 1890s.

Foofoogal

Banned
I feel very fortunate to have come of age in those times.

I feel very fortunate to of survived those times plus even more fortunate our marriage survived in early 1970s with all the free lovers around.
Seriously..

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
MisterCairo said:
The 1970s - Exhibit "A" (I am back row, 4th from left):

4358809067_e7c2765aaa_m.jpg

At least the kids still dressed for Picture Day. Some of my students, whose parents are "warned" way in advance, come that day in T-shirts and jean, and this from an upper-middle class neighborhood, where many of the parents are in "the business" (maybe that's whylol ).

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Lincsong said:
Are there any type of dress codes in elementary schools anymore? In the 1970's in my district they allowed t-shirts, but not short pants.

There are still dress codes, but some schools fudge a bit. At my former school in east Hollywood (the run-down part of that district), it tended to be fairly strict (no dyed hair, large earrings, etc.). Where I work now (Emo-land), dyed hair on students is normal, ripped jeans are still fashionable, and fake tattoos on kids common.

J B said:

A 70s tie is a bit wider than a 40s tie and definitely thicker. They are also longer---much longer. When I think of 70s ties, I think of the guy pictured on the right. That thing is ugly, wide, loud and then paired with that ensemble....:rolleyes:
wearemarshall02.jpg

These are just horrible. I especially hate the brown ones.
I own a few that I just can't get rid of. The worst are the Montgomery Wards ties of that era. Just horrible.
I have no idea who thought it was time to break out the bibs for men instead of ties. I think I could live with thinner ties---say 2 1/2 over the huge bandana neckties that were presnt in the 70s. Pair one of these babies with a leisure suit and PU! :eek: :rolleyes: :eusa_doh:

V.C. Brunswick said:
To me extra wide ties of the '70s are somewhat reminiscent of Victorian era neckwear, particularly from the 1880s, 1890s.

Neckties back then were of different widths. You could get anything from 2 1/2 inches to a 4 1/2 incher and still be considered well dressed.
You could go from this fellow:
628px-Oscar_Wilde_frock_coat.jpg
to this one:
Du_Maurier_Spy.jpg

Though you could still find a good amount of men wearing these as well:
419px-Pearce_Bartlett.jpg

You notice that the ties were rarely seen much below the knot so width was of little consequence. ;) :D
Ascots with a stick pin were also worn.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
HadleyH said:
My God!!!!!!!!!
What is the problem with the 70s???????????????????????????????????
What the heck is the problem????????????????????????

903533x.jpg
I love the 70s :D :D :D

Hadley, you could say you love wearing a burlap sack with a horse's feed bag for a hat and I'd break down and agree with you. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe