Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which decade is the worst in terms of style?

Edward

Bartender
John in Covina said:
What was amazing about Nehru jackets was as a fashion item they actually died on the vine, but Movies and TV (as they often do!) erroniously latched on to it as THEE fashion item for men, so it lives on in film and syndicated tv shows of the time.

I remember them having a small revival during the mid 90s. A friend's brother bought one to wear to her wedding; his dad rolled his eyes and said "you look like a priest in that". lol At the time I didn't much care for them.... though I do have rather a nice black velvet one lurking in the goth end of my wardrobe that may yet come out to play again. Makes a nice smoking jacket type garment too, though subject to the proviso that it must be worn with a suitably collarless shirt. What really kills the Nehru look to me is seeing it worn with a collar and tie (by that, of course, I mean the sqaure-fronted Nehru, not the traditional Austrian/Swiss jackets that have regular lapels with a mandarin collar).

Edward said:
What makes the Sixties 'stink' for me is not so much the decade itself, but the way it has been so unquestioningly fetishised by popular culture at the hands of my parents' generation.

I agree. The persistent cultural enshrinement of the Sixties by the Baby Boomer Generation is why, among other reasons, that I call it the Decade That Won't Go Away. :(

jwalls

Vendor
The 1970's

With out a doubt, I still get nightmares when my kids break out the pictures of me in a powder blue leisure suit, navy blue derby, and navy blue leather boots.:eek: :eek: :eek:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I'd have to vote for the 1970s. I was just a little kid, but when I look back at photos from our birthday parties, and see what my mum and the neighbours were wearing - GHASTLY!!!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Though I already chimed in, I would like to bring up a travesty of aesthetics that takes away from the general stylishness of the 1920s... The Oxford Bags.
Oxford%2Bbags%2B001.jpg

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
My God!!!!!!!!!
What is the problem with the 70s???????????????????????????????????
What the heck is the problem????????????????????????

903533x.jpg
I love the 70s :D :D :D

Edward

Bartender
Yeps said:
Though I already chimed in, I would like to bring up a travesty of aesthetics that takes away from the general stylishness of the 1920s... The Oxford Bags.
Oxford%2Bbags%2B001.jpg

By that point, though, weren't they (as I think we've disussed before o the lounge) simply an absurd characateur? I mean, did most people really wear those on the streets, or did press(?) photos like that rally just zone in on the most absurd and extreme examples (as they would with the Teds, Punks, and any other youth cult since)? I do find myself wodnernig how that fellow coped with stairs.... I remember back in the 80s when Nicky Campbell was on the Radio One graveyeard slot (10pm-12midnight), he had a 1963 theme night one evening, encouraged listeners to phone in with memories of 1963. One caller recalled the occasion on which he went to a party, very smug about his new flared trousers which were 23" around the ankle. First on his block to have them that wide. At the party, he had gone upstairs to the bathroom; returning from the toilet he tripped over his own trousers, fell all the way down the stairs and broke his collar bone. Say what you like aboutg drainpipes, but nobody ever tripped on them! lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Edward said:
By that point, though, weren't they (as I think we've disussed before o the lounge) simply an absurd characateur? I mean, did most people really wear those on the streets, or did press(?) photos like that rally just zone in on the most absurd and extreme examples (as they would with the Teds, Punks, and any other youth cult since)?

Whenever I see O. B.'s, I immediately think of Harold Teen, who was the ne plus ultra of twenties comic-strip youths --

caps-haroldteen.jpg

He wore bags pretty much to the exclusion of all other sorts of pants well into the early thirties, and was clearly intended to be an extreme parody of youth fads of the time. So there must've been at least some kids wearing them in public, if only enough to capture the attention of cartoonists.

And let's not even talk about his cake-eater cap.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
By that point, though, weren't they (as I think we've disussed before o the lounge) simply an absurd characateur? I mean, did most people really wear those on the streets, or did press(?) photos like that rally just zone in on the most absurd and extreme examples (as they would with the Teds, Punks, and any other youth cult since)?l

I was given to understand that they were very popular among the college lads, who would use them to cover breeches that were not aloud by uniform... or something like that.

Edward

Bartender
Yeps said:
I was given to understand that they were very popular among the college lads, who would use them to cover breeches that were not aloud by uniform... or something like that.

That was their origin - baggier trousers to go over the golfing britches which would have been unacceptable at lectures. Made getting to the links all the faster once class had finished. I am of the understanding, however, that utility never required them to be that wide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe