Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's Your Vintage Skill Set?

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Novella said:
Bake from scratch (although the results are hit or miss)
Umm, write a nice snail mail letter?
I use to know how to develop and print black and white film, but it's been awhile.

I am seriously lacking in the vintage skills department. I have to look up online how to sew a button onto my jacket.

Don't forget a spacer betwixt the button and coat so you can actually button it. I took a leather into my cleaners to get some buttons tightened up and they sewed them on nice and tight and flat. I can't button the thing now.

Novella

Practically Family
carebear said:
Don't forget a spacer betwixt the button and coat so you can actually button it. I took a leather into my cleaners to get some buttons tightened up and they sewed them on nice and tight and flat. I can't button the thing now.

That's what I'm worried about! haha If it weren't for that I think I could wing it okay.

WH1

Practically Family
Can any one correctly fold a vintage road map?

I can navigate with a map and compass but after 43 years I still seem to have trouble refolding the map.:eusa_doh:
I can also reload my own ammuntion and field strip most weapons
iron my own clothing correctly
I know about animal husbandry (get your mind out of the gutter)
butcher livestock
brand livestock
frame a house or barn, do the plumbing, basic electrical, and run a solid and safe fence or build an arena and pens
track animals
cook from scratch, bake bread, cook over a fire with dutch ovens
make most of the classic cocktails
write in cursive (according to an article last week it is no longer being taught in our schools)
drive a truck with a manual transmission and splitter
use dynamite or c4 safely and most other high explosives effectively
Change my own oil or water pump, and rotate my tires

and most importantly the 3 R's riding, roping (nothing fancy or fast), and 'rithmetic

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Novella said:
That's what I'm worried about! haha If it weren't for that I think I could wing it okay.

Toothpick, start your stitches around a toothpick to maintain the space. Pull it out and wrap the thread around the now overlong loops in the gap, voila, a nice thread column to leave room to button.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Here are some vintage skill sets I don't have, or refuse to have:

-- I refuse to install asbestos insulation.

-- I can't make a hangman's noose, and I refuse to engage in lynchings.

-- I can't properly use a ruler in order to hit my students on the backs of their hands, and I'd refuse to do so in any case.

-- I can't 'get to home plate' spaciously in a (modern) car.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Yay--a kindred spirit!

I've given up cooking. I recently figured out that for every hour I spent cooking, I was saving $4.16 vs. buying prepared food. The restauranteurs and grocery store delis can have it.

I don't make my own clothes. I can shop online sales and buy clothes for less than what it would cost me to make them.

Finally, I don't know how to change a diaper, either cloth or disposable.

Novella

Practically Family
Hooray, now I'll be able to wear that jacket again (and my nonskilled self feels just a smidgen - maybe a matchstick's width? - more skilled). Thanks button advice givers! :)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Note that the thicker the coat fabric, the longer the thread shank needs to end up.....so for very thick fabrics, 2 matchsticks or something even thicker works better. Otherwise you end up with still not quite enough mobility in the button.

Novella

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Note that the thicker the coat fabric, the longer the thread shank needs to end up.....so for very thick fabrics, 2 matchsticks or something even thicker works better. Otherwise you end up with still not quite enough mobility in the button.

Ah, thanks for the heads up! The wounded jacket is pretty thin, so it should be okay, but I'll remember it for future clothing in need.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Here's mine, I can...

Ride a horse
Shoot and hunt (both fur and feathers)
Build a cottage (with help :) )
Sail a yacht
Fly fish
Cook (apparently it's becoming a dying art!)
Drive double declutch (for really old no synchro manuals)
Change the oil, fluids, filters and sparks on a car
Start a fire with no matches or lighters
Paint a house and put up wallpaper
Dance a waltz
Dance swing
Say grace in latin

Phil

A-List Customer
- Play trumpet (there is a steady decline in kids staying in band after 6th or 7th grade, so I guess it's starting to delcine)

- Draft houses on a flatboard with pencils and straight-edges.

- Do routine service on my car (oil, sparkplugs, fluid replacement, small mechanincal replacements).

- Research a topic using physical, printed books :p

- Make furniture out of wood...as well as a catapult.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe