Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Well, fair point. But ribeye cooked well is a wonder to behold.
It was good, don't get me wrong.
The steaks were cooked slowly, because I used a different charcoal and didn't add enough.
Maybe that helped, who knows?
But for choice, they came out almost like prime. [huh]
The temp wasn't as high as I like, so I added more pecan wood than usual to assist.
Maybe I'll go back to ribeyes and cook them much slower.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Today, great day... I've been told there'll be:

knedle-sa-sljivama.jpg

Plum dumplings, better known as knedle

It was good, don't get me wrong.
The steaks were cooked slowly, because I used a different charcoal and didn't add enough.
Maybe that helped, who knows?
But for choice, they came out almost like prime. [huh]
The temp wasn't as high as I like, so I added more pecan wood than usual to assist.
Maybe I'll go back to ribeyes and cook them much slower.

Did you soak the pecan wood overnight first? Was it green wood?
In order to get a decent benefit from the flavor and smoke of the pecan wood, it has to be wet or green. Then you can use more charcoal and get the heat you need but manage it with the soaked/green wood. I use soaked cherry wood for mine and it makes the neighbors take notice. The wife defrosted a tri tip for tonight and I have to get to soaking my cherry wood now. Overnight is too late already.:doh: :p

Oh and keep it covered as long as you can so the smoke penetrates the meat well but you probably know all of this being from where you are and all. That is just how we do it out here on the reservation. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Did you soak the pecan wood overnight first? Was it green wood?
In order to get a decent benefit from the flavor and smoke of the pecan wood, it has to be wet or green. Then you can use more charcoal and get the heat you need but manage it with the soaked/green wood. I use soaked cherry wood for mine and it makes the neighbors take notice. The wife defrosted a tri tip for tonight and I have to get to soaking my cherry wood now. Overnight is too late already.:doh: :p

Oh and keep it covered as long as you can so the smoke penetrates the meat well but you probably know all of this being from where you are and all. That is just how we do it out here on the reservation. :p
If I'm cooking the meat a long time, yes I soak the wood.
If I'm cooking it 15 minutes or less, no I don't.
The wood I use is seasoned, as it's been "downed" at least a year.
My latest acquisition, was a 15-20ft tree.
When I need wood, I just cut some off with the chainsaw or ax.

It's getting cold here again, and all day I've been looking forward to some leftover chili. It's always better the next day.
Got home and the wife and kids had eaten it all for lunch:mad: so I just ordered pizza.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Crapola DH!
I thought about chili, but used the meat for burgers instead.
With beans for me, including a bit extra brown sugar, and Tapatio hot sauce.

If I'm cooking the meat a long time, yes I soak the wood.
If I'm cooking it 15 minutes or less, no I don't.
The wood I use is seasoned, as it's been "downed" at least a year.
My latest acquisition, was a 15-20ft tree.
When I need wood, I just cut some off with the chainsaw or ax.
I cook a whole tri tip longer than 15 minutes. :p It took about that per side. I dry rubbed it and it was gooooooddd. :p
And don’t use a chainsaw! The blade is lubricated with oil and you don’t want that on wood you cook over. :p On wood you burn for heat---fine. :p

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
I cook a whole tri tip longer than 15 minutes. :p It took about that per side. I dry rubbed it and it was gooooooddd. :p
And don’t use a chainsaw! The blade is lubricated with oil and you don’t want that on wood you cook over. :p On wood you burn for heat---fine. :p
Wait, oil poisoning might be what's wrong with me. :D
I need to get one of those "grenade" wedges, I just haven't had time.
A coworker has one, along with a 15lb maul, and he said splitting wood is a breeze.
Of course it's easier with a hydraulic splitter. ;)
I don't cut the wood with a chainsaw often, usually I split it with an ax and use the pieces at various times.
Bigger pieces for more heat, etc.

HD, I'm scrolling past your post....:eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82