Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Would be interested to hear your cornbread recipe. Here's mine (from my mother and grandmother), not written down or anything...

Note: Neither ever used exact measurements, just added ingredients until it looked right.

In your cast iron skillet...one dollop of bacon grease. Preheat in the oven at 350 while you make the batter.

1 heaping cup of cornmeal...white, coarse grind.
1 scant cup of AP flour (the idea being about 2 cups of dry meal, with a little more cornmeal than flour)
1 "spoonful" of sugar. About 1 tablespoon.
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large chicken eggs
Buttermilk. How much? Depends, enough to get the batter consistency until it pours smoothly, like cake batter. Typically about 1 cup.

Pour the batter in the hot greased skillet. Bake until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes, usually.

Cut into wedges and devour with as much butter as you deem necessary. Leftover pieces are used to sop up the pot liquor from whatever beans, peas or greens you made to go with it.
That is more or less the same. I like mine sweet so more sugar(brown) and a touch of vanilla. I also use a finer corn meal---not coarse. I think they call it corn flower. I also just use baking powder and regular milk. Aside from that it is the same. :p

Chili is basically four ingredients: beef, fat, chiles and water. Other dry spices are ok too. But it's cowboy food...they didn't have tomatoes or beans or cheese or sour cream or anything fancy, just the chiles and spices to liven up their otherwise boring beef in broth.
If they had chiles then they could have beans. The beans you use are dried: They had the ability to carry sacks of dried beans out here. I guess they didn't grow beans there? There are plenty of different kinds of beans that you can use: In case you aren't familiar with it, the mixture of meat, beans, peppers, and herbs was known to the Incas, Aztecs, and Mayan Indians long before Columbus, the conquistadores or Texas was a state and even before Gephard's. lol lol When you use beans, you are using a very very, very old recipe. I am sure there has been plenty of debate over the years but where it came from originally---they used beans. :p

Last edited:
If they had chiles then they could have beans. The beans you use are dried:

They had the ability to carry sacks of dried beans out here. I guess they didn't grow beans there? There are plenty of different kinds of beans that you can use:

In case you aren't familiar with it, the mixture of meat, beans, peppers, and herbs was known to the Incas, Aztecs, and Mayan Indians long before Columbus, the conquistadores or Texas was a state and even before Gephard's. lol lol When you use beans, you are using a very very, very old recipe. I am sure there has been plenty of debate over the years but where it came from originally---they used beans. :p

Of course they had beans. They ate them all the time. Just not in their chili. Cause that would be...well...just wrong.

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
What kind of crust?

1 1/2 cups soy flour
3 eggs
3/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup club soda
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Make the crust: Generously spray 2 (12-inch) pizza pans with nonstick vegetable oil cooking spray. In a medium bowl, stir together all of the crust ingredients to make a smooth, thick, pancake-like batter. Using a rubber spatula, spread the batter as thin and evenly as possible over the 2 pans.

Place pizza crusts on center racks of the oven and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until lightly golden brown and firm to touch.

Haven't tried it, I'll do that tonight since it's my night off from walking and the wife is going to work late.
This makes 2 crusts and what I might do is brush the edges with a butter/garlic powder mix.
I've got a pre-mixed sauce to save me from having to make the Pizza Hut one.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust