Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
1013738_10152995616930077_1032782525_n.jpg

Tonight's dinner at Crunk Manor: a delicious homemade chili . . . quite possibly the best I've ever made. Made it late last night when it was too late to go shopping, so I made do with what I had in the pantry: No tomato sauce or chili sauce in the house so I used tomato soup and Sloppy Joe sauce instead. All ingredients are as follows:

2 lbs ground beef, browned
1 large vidalia onion, diced
1 15oz can tomato soup
1 15oz can sloppy joe sauce
1 15 oz can pinto beans
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Combined all in crock pot and cooked on high for 2 hours, then on "keep warm" all day.

1013738_10152995616930077_1032782525_n.jpg

Tonight's dinner at Crunk Manor: a delicious homemade chili . . . quite possibly the best I've ever made. Made it late last night when it was too late to go shopping, so I made do with what I had in the pantry: No tomato sauce or chili sauce in the house so I used tomato soup and Sloppy Joe sauce instead. All ingredients are as follows:

2 lbs ground beef, browned
1 large vidalia onion, diced
1 15oz can tomato soup
1 15oz can sloppy joe sauce
1 15 oz can pinto beans
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp garlic powder

Combined all in crock pot and cooked on high for 2 hours, then on "keep warm" all day.

Beans in yer chili !?!? The tomatoes are bad enough, but beans...

Git a rope!

Ah, do you make from scratch, JP? I was raised with cornbread and still make it with the hand-written recipe left to me by my mother

Would be interested to hear your cornbread recipe. Here's mine (from my mother and grandmother), not written down or anything...

Note: Neither ever used exact measurements, just added ingredients until it looked right.

In your cast iron skillet...one dollop of bacon grease. Preheat in the oven at 350 while you make the batter.

1 heaping cup of cornmeal...white, coarse grind.
1 scant cup of AP flour (the idea being about 2 cups of dry meal, with a little more cornmeal than flour)
1 "spoonful" of sugar. About 1 tablespoon.
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 large chicken eggs
Buttermilk. How much? Depends, enough to get the batter consistency until it pours smoothly, like cake batter. Typically about 1 cup.

Pour the batter in the hot greased skillet. Bake until golden brown on top, about 30 minutes, usually.

Cut into wedges and devour with as much butter as you deem necessary. Leftover pieces are used to sop up the pot liquor from whatever beans, peas or greens you made to go with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust