Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Next to fresh out of the garden, San Marzano is the only way to go. Makes great sauce.

There are debates raging across the internet as to the validity of this claim. Some think it's just marketing hype by the tomoto growers in San Marzano while others feel as you do that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
There are debates raging across the internet as to the validity of this claim. Some think it's just marketing hype by the tomoto growers in San Marzano while others feel as you do that they are the best thing since sliced bread.

I wonder if its less in the tomatoes themselves, and rather in the way they're processed? [huh] There's a definite difference between San Marzanos and any other canned tomato. I can't buy the latter anymore. Of course, given the chance to harvest them right out of my garden, then I'm certainly doing that.

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I wonder if its less in the tomatoes themselves, and rather in the way they're processed? [huh] There's a definite difference between San Marzanos and any other canned tomato. I can't buy the latter anymore. Of course, given the chance to harvest them right out of my garden, then I'm certainly doing that.

From what I have read on various online forums, some people believe that it is the soil near the volcano that yields a superior tomato. While others who grow their own tomatoes feel that theirs is best, lol. Here is an old thread from Chowhound with people discussing it. I bought 3 of those big cans and am cooking one whole can at a time and freezing them in my Ball plastic containers.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/405510

Homegrown tomatoes allows one to pick them when ripe whereas store bought is picked while green and even when they are red those tomatoes aren't ripe. Even the supposed vine ripend aren't very good these days.

I heard that in the 80's they were doing breeding programs for celery to make them less susceptible for pests, the rsultant celery was so chemically active the pickers that handled them got contact dermatitus. (Don't know if it is true but it sounds plausible to me.)

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
John, with the way the food is so genetically modified these days I can believe it. If you can't grow your own then your next best bet is your local farmer's market, which is where I get the bulk of my meats and fruits and veggies.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
This morning's trout stuffed with meyer lemon and fresh thyme. Pan seared and then quick braised with vermouth, lemongrass, and ginger. Couscous with toasted almonds and porcinis. Warm saki.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82