Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What you remember from past decades.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
I remember

... my family taking my older brother to the bus station so he could be shipped off to Vietnam. I was too young to understand the danger he was in

...watching Captain Kangaroo in my pajamas (me in the pajamas, not the Captain!)...

...watching the original airing of Star Trek episodes

...being outraged that gasoline cost 57 cents a gallon in 1976

...watching the 1969 moon launch in color at my best friend's house (we would not have a color TV at my house for five more years)

...having a bank book that you took with you when you did business with the bank. The teller would stamp the book with transactions and your new balance.

...the little plastic gizmo that you put in the middle of a 45RPM record so you could play them on a big record player.

...the first time I ever saw an ATM, in 1980.

...the first really new car my parents ever bought, a 1970 Chevy Nova.

...riding on the tailgate, with our feet hanging over the edge, of a station wagon on the way to drop stuff at the dump (in 1970, we'd never heard of a "Landfill"). There was always at least one fire burning there, and it was a treasure hunt for a couple of niine-year-old boys.

...my mother reaching over from the dirver's seat and hitting me in the chest whenever she slammed on the brakes, in an effort to keep me from hitting the dashboard. In the early '70s, nobody wore seat belts or put kids in the back seat unless there was already someone sitting on the passenger side.

...the smell of my father's air-cooled, rear engine Corvairs. He had several in the 1960's, including a couple convertibles, and the heaters always sent a little engine exhaust into the cabin.

...Howard Cosell breaking into a Monday Night Football telecast to announce the murder of John Lennon, in 1980.

...four months later, watching the shooting of President Reagan being replayed hundreds of times as the TV networks struggled and, at times, failed to get the facts straight before they reported the details of the days events.

...sitting in the control room of channel 6 in Columbus, Ohio, in stunned silence as we watched the space shuttle Challenger explode shortly after liftoff, in 1986.

...the sweat on the upper lip of Richard Nixon as he announced his resignation on national television in 1974

...paying $4.00 to see the Grateful Dead in Gainesville, Florida in 1980.

...the first time I talked on a cellular phone, in 1986. It had a separate handset with a coiled cord that connected it to the transceiver/battery unit and the whole assembly weighed about 10 pounds.

...the first computer I ever used, in 1977. It was actually a teletype, connected by a modem to a mainframe at a local college. You had to make a phone call, then put the handset into a special cradle which was part of the keyboard/printer. Programs were run from a roll of paper tape which had holes punched in it.

...computer programming classes in college in the early 1980's, in which the students needed to carry boxes of punch cards around and feed them into terminals. If your program didn't run, you needed to find the offending card, make a corrected one to replace it, and put it in the stack. If your cards got shuffled, you had a lot of work ahead of you.

...cigarette commercials on TV.

decodoll

Practically Family
1970's
~Seeing Star Wars at the drive-in
~Seeing Grease at the drive-in (I wanted to be Olivia Newton-John for the next 10 years!)
~My brown corduroy bell-bottoms
~Gas stations running out of gas
~The Sonny and Cher Show (I loved this show and always wanted to wear my mom's pony tail switch while watching it, and she always said no!)
~playing my YMCA 45 on my portable record player over and over
~my metal roller skates that actually never really rolled that well....
~Roller rinks (80's too)
~My straw cowboy hat with the feather in it (see below)
~T-shirt shops that let you pic out your own iron-ons (see below)
jenny001.jpg

1980's
~Jelly Shoes
~Stirrup pants
~Getting better boot style roller skates that actually rolled.
~Atari 800 and Caverns of Mars
~Duran Duran (I *hearted* Simon)
~New Wave
~Swatch and Guess Jeans
~Sixteen Candles
~VCR's
~Cable and MTV

1990's
hmmm...doesn't really seem far enough away to think back on just yet...

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember...

...going to the airport and parking your car on the curb and walking right into the terminal, proceeding through the lobby and going directly to the gate where you could meet your loved-ones as they came down the steps and walked across the ramp and into your arms.

By the time you got to the baggage claim area, the luggage had arrived and there was a 'skycap' ready and willing to assist you to your car - still parked right on the curb.

Maybe later, Dad would bring you back to the airport where you'd park near the fence to watch airplanes take-off and land.

That was decades ago! -dixon cannon

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Great thread!

Just some highlights...

70's I Remember watching Hawaii Five-O and thinking it was SO COOOL(tried watching that one lately??)

80s I Remember having the standard three TV channels and then getting CABLE. Wow. Amazing stuff back then.

90s I Remember thinking cell phones were so un-necessary, pretentious, etc. and had no clue they would soon be EVERYWHERE and the size of a credit card.
Also remember wondering what all the fuss was about the internet and what real use it would be to ME. Well, here I am...

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
When television stations signed off at midnight

Black light posters of Jimi Hendrix

When TV stayed on all night for the Moon landings

Listening to stereo on those giant headphones for the first time

Those awful polyester Nik Nik shirts & plaid cuffed bell bottoms

BetaMax VCR's

Bootleg Vinyl Records (Remember TMOQ with the pig logo?)

The first Walkman

Laser Discs

Miami Vice clothes

When Albums out numbered CD's

CharlieH.

One Too Many
Aaah, the 90's... what a most fun (and disgusting) decade that was... here's why:

- The Pokemon craze, circa 1996. We all knew about that great japanese show that gave you seizures.
-The rise of the Nicktoons. I witnessed the beginning of the Ren & Stimpy Show and Rugrats, as well as their declines as the years went by.
- Speaking of that, Nickelodeon was THE channel to watch. And now, it's dead.
- The overt furor over Titanic during the winter of 97-98. I had been fascinated by the ship since I was a (very) young kid, and that movie effectively killed my interest.
- Saved By The Bell. Enough said
- The appearance of the Internet. I didn't know what it was, but in those days, anything that involved computers seemed very exciting.
- The glorious life and ignominious death of Cartoon Network.
- Furby. What the heck was that??
- Seeing Toy Story on the big screen. Like I said, anything that involved computers thrilled me, and this was the absolute zenith. I still get goosebumps when I watch it.
- Micro Machines... do they still make those?
- The music. I don't know the names, but the music of the early 90's has a rather distinctive sound that makes me a bit nostalgic... a sentiment that I quickly supress.

Novella

Practically Family
photobyalan said:
my mother reaching over from the dirver's seat and hitting me in the chest whenever she slammed on the brakes, in an effort to keep me from hitting the dashboard.
My mom use to do that when I was little - despite the fact that I was always wearing a seatbelt!

Reading other posts has made me think of other things. As far as anti-drug goes I think of that dog Officer McGruff, and the D.A.R.E. program at school.

And technology: I remember my parents having the kind of computer with an all black screen and yellow-gold text. I use to like to play with the Print Shop program and print out decorated text that now looks so old - big and blocky with ink that was more grey than black and the paper with the holes on the side that was all connected together. I remember it was *so* exciting when we got a computer with a color screen. (color of course being very limited and everything still very block-ish) It was exciting when we got one of those little rectangular black and white Macs too. Oh and floppy disks! It's amazing how far computers have come in 20 years.

HistWardrobe

Vendor
From past decades

Some scattered memories....

From the 1950s:
1. My grandfather driving us past the White House one day and our actually SEEING Ike playing golf on the West Lawn
2. Dolls that actually DID stuff, like Chatty Cathy and Betsy Wetsy (the latter seems sort of creepy in retrospect...)
3. Listening to the 1920's oldies radio show with my great grandmother (always been retro)
4. My first pair of blue jeans & saddle shoes, just like mom wore in the 40's (always been retro)
5. Crashing my uncle's party as a 3 year old and learning how to do the twist
6. Tops Drive Inn, Falls Church Virginia - A Sirloiner and Banana shake -- or Hot Shoppes, a Mighty Mo with Secret Sauce and an Orange Freeze
7. Pick Temple (TV Cowbow) on WTTG Channel 5 (DC)

From the '60s:
EARLY 60s
1. The Beatles on Ed Sullivan
2. Remembering where I was when JFK got shot -- like everyone else in my generation
3. Growing up in Hawaii a few years after statehood and just 2 decades after WW2
4. Mini skirts and the whole mod thing and desparately wishing I were British
5. The golden age of cornball sitcoms - McHale's Navy, Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction
6. Transistor radios -- and turning them to Conalrad for the air raid drills. Building a fallout shelter in the basement and saving all that drinking water in bleach jugs (duck & cover!)

LATE 60s
1. Being really bummed out that I was too young to go to Woodstock

From the 70s:
1. Really awful Nik-Nik shirts - those nylon things with photographic prints on them. Yuk. And all that polyester double knit. Double Yuk.
2. Retro 1930s and 40s clothing coming in. (yay! platforms!)
3. Getting deeply into F Scott Fitzgerald BEFORE Great Gatsby came out, and even more so after (although novel-wise, I preferred Tender is the Night).
Being a neo-flapper beat the #$@% out of disco
4. My first calculator for Christmas. Cost $300 and was huge. Ten years later, they gave them away as sales promos and they were the size of credit cards

From the 80s
1. Reagan Presidency!! I was there, at the 1980 convention, helping to usher in the new era
2. Moving to England and feeling like I'd moved to the 1950s.
3. The Thatcher Era. Maggie Maggie Maggie!! Oi Oi Oi!
4. The Brit Awards in London at a good era for British pop music.
5. CNN coverage of Desert Storm, being the first real test of round the clock news. Later, sitting up late to watch the Wall come down.
6. "Dynasty", "Dallas" and having power suits and big hair.
7. Being a yuppie and thinking I'd really made it because I had a company-issued cell phone. Which was the approximately size & weight of a brick

From the '90s
1. Thinking I was hot stuff because I had a PC with an 80 MB hard drive
2. Searching Gopher, Archie & Vernonica before there was much of anything on the Web and moderating a DOS-based BBS
3. DOS. Hey, I like DOS. DOS is to Windows as stick shifts are to automatic transmission.
3. The death of fashion as we know it. Snore..... Suddenly everything's a recycled, derivative idea. There is nothing new under the sun....

Etienne

A-List Customer
Going to Disneyland as a 5 yr. old the year it opened.

Getting our very first TV set and watching the Mickey Mouse Club, Spin and Marty, Sheriff John, and Engineer Bill.

Sewing little bells on our slips to wear under our skirts at Christmas time!

Having 2 different boys walk me home from school and dividing my books so they could each carry a few!

Milk monitors, school uniforms, fire drills and free-dress days, and playing 7 UP! at lunchtime on rainy days at school.

Hooded sweaters, stirrup pants and square-toed colored keds!

"Sputnik" transistor radios.

Going to the movies and seeing a double feature for 25 cents!

Loading the whole family into our 1949 Cadillac car and getting burgers, fries and malts at the Hamburger Handout near LAX and watching the planes come in!

Wearing "switches", "falls" and "postiches" to school to look very stylish!

Staying out too late on the night daylight savings changed and getting grounded by my Dad for it! (I had to stay home and iron all the clothes for our family of 8--and all the kids wore uniforms so there was LOTS to iron!)

Meeting my boyfriend (now my husband!) at age 15 at school and going to see The Sound of Music in Hollywood for our first date.

Going to college and completely missing the late 60's because I was busy studying! (No great loss, actually.)

Marrying, raising children and trying to keep our heads above water from 1974to about 2004 and now I'm resurfacing and coming up for air!

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, boy. I can now reminisce about 4 decades. But what about the one we're in? We're halfway through this thing and nobody knows what to call it! "The 0s"? "I remember back in the period from the year 2000 to 2009" is just too cumbersome to say.

Oh, and it's always "The Year 2000" for those of us who've seen a few decades. Staring in 1970, it was always "By the year 2000 the air will be unfit to breathe" or "By the year 2000 the entire planet will be covered in garbage" or "By the year 2000 there will be no place for us to stand." ;)

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Tony in Tarzana said:
Oh, and it's always "The Year 2000" for those of us who've seen a few decades. Staring in 1970, it was always "By the year 2000 the air will be unfit to breathe" or "By the year 2000 the entire planet will be covered in garbage" or "By the year 2000 there will be no place for us to stand." ;)

I feel so cheated by this century. When I was growing up, I was promised so many things by Hollywood. 2001 was supposed to bring regular commercial flights to our base on the moon and the ability to send a manned flight to Jupiter. Space: 1999 wasn't so optimistic but still had a moon base. Lost in Space was set in 1997 and they had laser rifles, force fields, a talking robot who was capable of emotion and they were attempting interstellar travel for cryin' out loud.

Where's the line for complaints?

LaMedicine

One Too Many
Spotty '50s.

My first plane ride. Once we were up in the air and the course set, the captain came out of the cockpit and walked down the isle to greet the passengers in person. Had to make fuel stops every 6-7 hours or so. When on the ground, the cockpit doors were open, and the crew invited the kids to come take a look. Oh, yeah and they passed out candy to ease the pressure on our ear drums.

Dame Margot Fontaine.
Holiday on Ice.
Saw "Living Desert" "Annie Get Your Gun" "Wizard of Oz" "Snow White" "Cinderella" "Dumbo" Okay, many of these weren't new release.
Can't leave out the original "Godzilla"
Read Princess and the Goblin, The Hobbit (it was a reading assignment for English/reading in 3rd grade!), Sue Barton series, The Candystripers.

Clearer (early) '60s

The cockpit door was still open to let us get a peek inside.
Receive a certificate when we crossed the International Date Line in the middle of the Pacific.
TV changing from B/W to color.
Off the top of my mind, in no particular order.
Dr. Kildare, Ben Casey, Route 66, 77 Sunset Strip, Amos Burke, Untouchables, F.B.I., Rawhide, Bonanza, Gilligan's Island, Combat, Flintstones, Jetsons, Beverly Hillbillies, Andy Williams Show, Mitch Miller Show, Ed Sullivan Show, Walter Crohnkite, Mickey Mouse Club, The Disney Hour, Father Knows Best, The Nelson Family (or was it just the Nelsons), Patty Duke Show, I Love Lucy, Bewitched.
Blondie, Li'l Abner, Orphan Annie, Dennis the Menace, Dick Tracy, Popeye, Peanuts...etc etc
Bye Bye Birdie, My Fair Lady, Funny Girl, Camelot, Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Flubber, That Darn Cat, Moonspinners, Sleeping Beauty, Sword in Stone.
Mickey Mantle. Washington D.C. had a baseball team, The Senators.
Beatlemania hits the capital. Chubby Checker, Beach Boys, Ventures, Dave Clark Five, ummm...so many more, the music comes up, but can't remember their names nor the title of the songs....oh, yeah, can't leave Joan Baez out.
Elvis Presley, Frank Sinatra and the Rat Pack were around, but somewhat on the back burner.
Ice Capades.
Favorite contemporary authors were Mary Stewart and Arthur Hailey.

.....and the list goes on:p

funneman

Practically Family
Past decades...

60s
-We didn't have an CBS affiliate in Fort Pierce, Florida. I remember seeing the Beatles on the old Jack Parr show on NBC a week before their appearance on the Ed Sullivan show. They appeared via a filmed live peformance to little or no fanfare at all. I remember trying to understand what all the commotion was about when they appeared a week later.

-I remember my Dad, a cop, coming home in full riot gear complete with shotgun during the rioting,burning and looting in our town following the killing of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

-Travelling for miles with my family in the ol' Studebaker Lark to attend gospel "sings" featuring the Blackwood Brothers, The Harvesters, The Lefevre Family and many others.

-Colorized post cards.

-Betty Page

-"Creature Feature!" Friday nights meant, "Invaders from Mars", "The Day the Earth Stood Still", "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" and a host of old fifties Science Fiction films on TV.

80s
I can't remember

70's
-I'd rather forget

Caledonia

Practically Family
Wow, so many of these things I remember!

60s - too ickle to remember much, except:
hating starting school, being whisked off to Grandma's house when Mum gave birth to my two brothers at home, my brother's knitted swimming trunks, our first kitten then it disappeared, moving house and school and hating starting school again, running into and splitting my head open on the windowsill with consequent dash to A&E for stitches, summer holidays in my Grandma's caravan at the beach, kiddies birthday parties with all those games like spinning the bottle, musical chairs, pass the parcel; my grandma's stories of the farm; And I think my Dad made me watch the moon landing too, and him trying to take a decent photo of it from the TV image!

70s
Oooh that awful feathered hair cut; breaking my wrist; moving house and schools again, twice; the Dentist, again, and again, and again; Summer holidays in wacky farm cottages with pantries and mice, and the one where we went to the farmhouse to pick up the keys and her kitchen was full of hanging, skinned rabbits :eek: ; bell bottoms and flares; Jaws; realising I was a nerd at secondary school; realising I was no longer a nerd and had friends who were cool!; my first kiss; discovering that school days would in fact end and I would have to do something with my life; not knowing what that was but deciding that wanting to be a nurse, ballet dancer, train driver, astronaut, truck driver, or princess probably wasn't going to work out; saturday jobs; sadly but inevitably discovering there were things called diets and fashion and the start of a life time of misery :( :D

80s
Dynasty, huge padded shoulders and big hair; loving doing the school plays and operettas; university and dropping out; discovering computers; fear of nuclear war; voting, drinking, and sex; learning to drive :eek: ; leaving college and realising I now had to work for the rest of my life and that meant getting up every morning and going to work, and trying to work out how to avoid that (see the 90s); developing a social conscience - not a big one and it didn't really take!; going vegetarian; leaving home and getting married; loving living in the city; all my cats

90s
getting divorced, what a relief!; being made redundant; changing careers with the redundancy money; new love; new home; new life! Who cares about politics and all that responsibility stuff - I was a free spirit and the 90s are kind of a blur of huge changing experience that left me gasping; started working for myself from home - perfect! Dad dying which was a strange time. Realising that older men were starting to look attractive; realising that the year 2000 was now close and that I didn't in fact feel old and near death like I thought I would when I was 16; the millenium bug.

00s
Well they're not over yet but the millenium bug never hit did it?:D And of course, the FL.

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
70's

Good Morning, Captain!
Toughskins
Wanting a Raleigh Chopper
Bicycling to the Cadillac dealer and staring at a canary Yellow Eldorado convertible
My first pair of blue suede Puma Clydes
Having blue socks after the blue suede Puma Clydes got wet
Billy & Reggie
Having my first crush - Marlo Thomas in That Girl - Donald Hollinger was a lucky guy!
Hating disco music
Baskin-Robbins Daquiri Ice
Being forced to watch Lawrence Welk
Buitoni Toaster Pizza
Hearing "All Mod Cons" for the first time
Brown suede wing tips from Thom McAn

80's

Voting for the first time
My first bowtie
Discovering Sinatra
Failing my road test twice
Spring afternoons in Washington Square Park between classes with a beautiful girl that I adored
The Yankees stinkin' up the joint
Ballantine Ale and Slivovitz at the Blue and Gold Bar on East 7th
The New Coke?
Ed Koch "You're doin' fine, Mayor. 2,000 people a year gettin' killed in the streets but you're doin' fine!"
My first Armani suit
Mike Tyson - invincible 21-year old
"Headless Body in Topless Bar"

90's

Having a real job
Messier
Rudy Giuliani
Getting married
Reading a Nick Tosches book for the first time
George Foreman coming back and ultimatlely being best known as an appliance
WNEW going off the air
WQEW going on and off the air