Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Fear the Walking Dead" - AMC's latest effort to "milk" the cash cow that is "The Walking Dead". As AMC's only current "hit" it was only a matter of time before they dipped into the well again. At least they were smart about it and took the action all the way across country and BEFORE the comic book and current series timeline. Now we get to see the swift sharp fall of a civilization confronted with a plague who's nature they don't understand until far too late. Not overly entertaining as they spend the first episode mostly introducing the main characters but I guess I'll give it a couple more episodes. I lost interest in "Better Call Saul", their first attempt to catch lightning in a bottle with a prequel.

Worf

DNO

One Too Many
I watched Fear the Walking Dead as well. Although I like the premise of the show, I found it quite the slog. Like Worf, I'll give it a few episodes and see how it develops. I thoroughly enjoyed Better Call Saul, however, and look forward to the second season..."go land crabs'!

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"​Hitler’s Bodyguards”.

The several Mercedes-Benz that were custom-made beginning in the 30s & used primarily for touring & parades as they were
deemed too expensive for general Army use.

2898rok.jpg

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I watched Fear the Walking Dead as well. Although I like the premise of the show, I found it quite the slog. Like Worf, I'll give it a few episodes and see how it develops. I thoroughly enjoyed Better Call Saul, however, and look forward to the second season..."go land crabs'!
The sad thing is that even in their mediocrity, they're better than most. Both should be relegated to a season at most.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
One more episode, then we get to wait until some time in 2016 for the final seven. Yay. I like the show and I realize it's labor intensive and time consuming to produce, but sometimes these schedules make it difficult to remain a fan.
It has nothing to do with either of those things. From what I've read, showrunners don't like these split seasons. Actors and writers certainly don't like to have their lives manipulated into another year of work and appearances, particularly for series that are slated to end. It puts lives on hold. I would imagine it would be difficult for everyone on a crew to keep enthusiastic and motivated to do these short seasons. Each time, it would take a couple episodes to get back into the flow of things.

It has nothing to do with either of those things. From what I've read, showrunners don't like these split seasons. Actors and writers certainly don't like to have their lives manipulated into another year of work and appearances, particularly for series that are slated to end. It puts lives on hold. I would imagine it would be difficult for everyone on a crew to keep enthusiastic and motivated to do these short seasons. Each time, it would take a couple episodes to get back into the flow of things.
Interesting. Most of the time when I've read about a television series being delayed, someone on the staff "blames" production delays, i.e. it takes time to get the shots we needed, time to get the effects right, and so on. Nobody from Hell on Wheels has explained exactly why they've split the final season in such a way, but Anson Mount (Cullen Bohannon) posts regularly on Farcebook from the set and it seems they're still filming the final episodes, so I assumed that was the reason. Then again, we all know the old saying about assuming, so... :D

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Interesting. Most of the time when I've read about a television series being delayed, someone on the staff "blames" production delays, i.e. it takes time to get the shots we needed, time to get the effects right, and so on. Nobody from Hell on Wheels has explained exactly why they've split the final season in such a way, but Anson Mount (Cullen Bohannon) posts regularly on Facebook from the set and it seems they're still filming the final episodes, so I assumed that was the reason. Then again, we all know the old saying about assuming, so...
It's business, and not necessarily how you think of business. You would guess that alienating, and frustrating, your audience would have a negative impact. It probably does, but they can also run marathons and advertise it to death to generate hoopla and a circus to grab back a lot of that lost audience. For AMC in particular, which had three of the top shows on TV (Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead), that upper echelon group gave them huge bargaining power with Comcast, U-Verse, Direct TV etc when they were negotiating broadcasting contracts. The longer they kept those shows running, the more the network retained its power and prestige. Related to that, they could run spots, both on their own network and elsewhere, about having 30 Emmy nominations and various other propaganda to also feed into that frontrunner strength...that also feeds into bargaining power. It also gives them special opportunity to buy other ideas and scripts in the meantime. AMC fell into some once-in-a-lifetime luck, and I don't think they've reconciled with the fact that it isn't going to happen again. Now they can claim they have 3-4 solidly performing shows vs only 1-2. Some bean counter came up with this split season thing to desperately hold onto the numbers while they pray they start another successful series in that extra year to replace what they're losing, and everyone else be damned. I get why AMC is doing it (though, I think they're complete a$$hats for doing so), but I have a difficult time understanding why, for instance, USA does it with Suits. Never, ever underestimate conformity.

Last edited:
One more episode, then we get to wait until some time in 2016 for the final seven. Yay. I like the show and I realize it's labor intensive and time consuming to produce, but sometimes these schedules make it difficult to remain a fan.

I too have a problem with the split schedule, but I will continue to watch until the all too soon end.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken