Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

I've joined Netflix & am now asking myself: "What have I done?"

:eeek:

Netflix recently "upgraded" it's site and it is atrocious. The search engine is so bad that I now Google movie names plus Netflix to find them on the site. For example, a movie, "She's Funny That Way," was reviewed on Friday and I wanted to put it in my queue. When I used the (stupid) Netflix engine, it said no results found. When I Googled the title and Netflix, I found it on Netflix's site.

This makes no sense. Netflix is a hugely successful company that Wall Street is throwing fist-fulls of dollars at - how could they be using a search engine from 1996?

Has anyone else noticed how bad the site has become?

Nobert

Practically Family
Netflix recently "upgraded" it's site and it is atrocious. The search engine is so bad that I now Google movie names plus Netflix to find them on the site. For example, a movie, "She's Funny That Way," was reviewed on Friday and I wanted to put it in my queue. When I used the (stupid) Netflix engine, it said no results found. When I Googled the title and Netflix, I found it on Netflix's site.

This makes no sense. Netflix is a hugely successful company that Wall Street is throwing fist-fulls of dollars at - how could they be using a search engine from 1996?

Has anyone else noticed how bad the site has become?

Either Netflix'x search function has always stunk or they don't have as wide a spectrum of stuff as they're cracked up to. I've fallen off the end of the pier numerous times trying to look up things that I thought should be pretty easy to find. Having said that, I've been watching 'Call the Midwife' on Netflix until the next season of 'Murdoch Mysteries' shows up.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I've joined Netflix & am now asking myself: "What have I done?"

:eeek:

Welcome to the dark side. :D

Yes, I do echo the thoughts of others that the search engine is atrocious. But because of Netflix, I have found SO many good shows: Sherlock, Generation War, Doctor Who, Supernatural, and on and on.

Either Netflix'x search function has always stunk or they don't have as wide a spectrum of stuff as they're cracked up to. I've fallen off the end of the pier numerous times trying to look up things that I thought should be pretty easy to find. Having said that, I've been watching 'Call the Midwife' on Netflix until the next season of 'Murdoch Mysteries' shows up.

I really enjoy "Call the Midwife," not so much for the stories which are okay but formulaic, but for the period sets and clothes and some of the characters. Try using Google (the show, movie, etc. plus that work "netflix") to search Netflix as it works much better. Good luck.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
Hmm, ya'll are making me want to regret this decision. All I've watched is Star Trek: Into Darkness. Found that wasn't what I expected but enjoyed it.

I'm so overwhelmed by the choices I've yet to delve very deep into searching but was a bit frustrated to see there was no order to the selection of classic Doctor Who. Or classic anything, for that matter. :/ Don't suppose there's much of a silent film collection to be had. Oh well, my mother will be pleased to watch things like Downton Abby & House of Cards. Zzzzz....

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Top Gear: Best Of Jeremy! Got to love the Orangutang! [video=youtube;jAptCdalzug]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAptCdalzug[/video]

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Outlander. HA! Typical Starz series. As easy to take seriously as Black Sails (which I think is a better show than this). I think one and a half episodes is enough for me for now. I'm fine with suspending belief with the time travel premise and settings (though I wish they would have picked at least a few centuries earlier), but her knowing a random, super rare disease and probably an endless wealth of knowledge of plants and fungi is taking the ridiculous to the absurd. This chick is an urbanite, and they gave no indication that she was an obsessive, hobbyist nurse, the type who would be reading the history of medicine and out collecting botanicals with her free time. Maybe nit-picky to some, but that is just too over the top for me to handle. I'm betting they'll have her being an even greater medicinal guru teaming up with the local healers. Give the character some depth and value, but at least keep it sane.

Nobert

Practically Family
I really enjoy "Call the Midwife," not so much for the stories which are okay but formulaic, but for the period sets and clothes and some of the characters. Try using Google (the show, movie, etc. plus that work "netflix") to search Netflix as it works much better. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. Next time I'm looking for something specific I'll give that a whirl. "Midwife" does do a great job of capturing post-war England, though I can't help but think that the abodes of most of those East Enders look nicer than many apartments I've lived in. I think if the Beeb ever came out with a period show that wasn't spot on in it's realization, the governors would set fire to the studio and hie themselves to some tropical island in a state of self-imposed exile.

Speaking of historically accurate costumes, are the any Murdoch Mysteries fans here? I would be surprised if not. Alex Reda, the costume designer for the show, is not only great at period stuff but matches his outfits to the personalities of the characters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken